Will the upcoming server shutdown affect hacking?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Nintendo69, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Nintendo69
    OP

Nintendo69 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2019
    United States
    So I recently learned that Nintendo is shutting down the wii shop channel and netflix at the end of this month. Will this in and of itself affect our ability to homebrew wiis? Also, is there a chance that Nintendo would release a wii update that goes with it that would brick online funtionality since there would be nothing left that uses it? I already have my wii homebrewed and set to block any updates. I'm mainly wondering because I may softmod more wiis and if I should obtain more from ebay before the wii apocalypse.

2. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    doubt anything will change, the wii doesn't even need the shop in order to homebrew so losing that doesn't mean much. well, except for the people that had bought games on it previously

as for releasing an update to nullify online usage, i highly doubt it, it would cost nintendo too much money and time so they probably wouldn't bother with updating a decade old+ system

3. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    Really sad to see the Wii servers getting shut down, but I am glad we have hacking/homebrew to keep the consoles alive.

4. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    Without the ability to download the Internet Channel, flashhax won't be an option, but then most people probably haven't even heard of flashhax.

(I would say it's too bad that at this point we'll probably never see some kind of USB-based exploit for the Wii Mini, but those things are hard to find at all.)

5. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    You can download stuff with ModMii and it will keep it in reserve to be used for future console mods, it's even got some download queues built to download NUS files specifically that might be going offline

6. Jitoku

Jitoku GBAtemp Guru

Feb 26, 2018
    United Kingdom
    There is str2hax(it does not need Internet Channel it only needs connection

7. jt_1258

jt_1258 Something

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    nb4 they just copy paste the code from the wii mini firm code that removes the internet....ya, btw, for some stupid reason they though it would be a bright idea to cut costs by removing network capability from the wii when making the wii mini. though they never removed the miiverse icon on 3ds even though it didn't have it originaly and they still "support" it

8. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    London
    There's a new entry point called flashhax. It's a browser exploit for the internet channel. One advantage is that you can use it to install the homebrew channel without an SD card or if the SD slot is broken. However, when the Wii Shop closes they will no longer be able to use this exploit if they haven't downloaded the internet channel by then. So it will probably affect a small number of people.

9. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Flashhax is has been replaced\rebranded as str2hax by the same dev @Fullmetal5

@Cyan, if you're reading this can I suggest stickying str2hax instead of (or in addition to) flashhax?

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted