Will Gateway Ever Support 6.2.0-12U?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by msansom, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msansom
    OP

msansom Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2013
    As title suggests really, was wondering whether I should get a system with old firmware when I start my job after christmas or whether I am better off just staying on this firmware and waiting until gateway supports the latest FW.

2. darkziosj

darkziosj GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2013
    Colombia
    Medellin
    No one knows. could be tomorrow could be in 20 years.

3. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    It's a guessing game mate, until an exploit is found no such progress

4. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    msansom: I'm not sure if you're aware, but this kind of thread gets created multiple times per day in this board and always gets the same response: We don't know, no one knows, your guess is as good as mine, etc.

5. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica
  6. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    United States
    Las Vegas, NV
    Seeing as no one brought their crystal ball, unfortunately this thread serves no purpose other than to ask a question that no one has an answer to. Thread closed.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    As others have said it could happen tomorrow, could be next week or it could be decades from now ( http://www.its.caltech.edu/~costis/sgb_hack/ ).

More pragmatically eh.... if we were still dealing with non enhanced DS flash carts I would have expected nothing to happen and "the requirements to change meant we have to have a nice new profitable line of flash carts to come out*". Seen as the devices are pretty pricey though they might at least make the effort, on the other hand from what has been glimpsed of the underlying tech there might actually be a reason to do so.

*the EZ3 and EZ4 share a lot in common, the first DS flash carts nobody used post R4 and beyond that we saw new versions for SDHC support, for DSi compatibility and several saw a few revisions in the middle of it all. There were good reasons for some things there and as cynical as I am the teams were not completely out of line.

To that end it would not be a bet I would take. I would not be surprised to see a new hardware revision made for it, I would equally not be surprised to see some form of custom firmware (even if a flash cart would be a better bet) and as most homebrew devs have what they want already the focus is more on mapping out the hardware than creating exploits for new firmwares or at least downgrading the 3ds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.