will a external ssd work for the wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by CemLucas, Aug 24, 2019.

1. CemLucas
    OP

CemLucas Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2019
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    so i wanna buy 2 TB ssd but i dont know if the wii supports ssd´s so ill ask here

2. jeannotte

jeannotte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 15, 2016
    France
    CemLucas and alexander1970 like this.
  3. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    old spinning disc based HDD is at least better supported, SSD might work, but there's a big chance it won't.
    2 problems i see, 2tb is much for a wii, it might not read the full disc, 1tb works always, but more brought me troubles now and then... even when i used the excact same external hdd and settings, the second partition didn't always work.
    and since the wii doesn't seem to work with most thumb/pen drives it might give the same painstaking search for why it won't work over and over again when using a SSD.

CemLucas and alexander1970 like this.
  4. Draxikor

Draxikor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2019
    Mexico
    I use a Western Digital Elements from 1 TB totally formated in fat32 and works great with both Wii and GC games, i dont recommend you ssd are less compatible and more expensive.

alexander1970 and CemLucas like this.
  5. CemLucas
    OP

CemLucas Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2019
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    Okay thanks everyone this really helps

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    I have a Crucial MX300 525 GB SSD in a StarTech.com USB 3.0 case and it works fine on Wii.

Most of the issues with external drives are caused by terrible USB controllers in the drive case. Getting separate drives and cases fixes this most of the time.