Hacking Question Will a bricked Switch boot into RCM ?

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some good tips there, thanks! :)

I've been soldering for many years, even done a fair amount of surface mount work, but not on such a device as the Switch where the parts are pretty miniscule compared to what I'm used to.

I tried the Android magnifier camera, couldn't get as much detail as I'd hoped so have ordered a headband LED magnifier - the standard lenses can go up to 3.5x but two can be stacked to increases magnification. I should have it in a couple of days so will continue the work then.
Good man. Let us know how you get on :)

Reactions: WadsRUs

Modificatorul

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not common, if you dont have 3.3 v on pin 5 usualy it's faulty m92t36 , but i had a case when m92t36 was ok, and i had a short on 3.3 v line pin 5 to ground of m92t36, and was caused by broken p13 usb ic, or another case just a shorted cap.

Last edited by Modificatorul,

WadsRUs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not common, if you dont have 3.3 v on pin 5 usualy it's faulty m92t36 , but i had a case when m92t36 was ok, and i had a short on 3.3 v line pin 5 to ground of m92t36, and was caused by broken pic usb ic, or another case just a shorted cap.

Very useful to know all of that, thank you. :)

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The reason the pin 5 test works is because the power detector within M92T36 is responsible for correct voltages getting to where they need to go. For example... The Switch mains adapter can output maybe up to 20v. 20v on the switch motherboard directly would mean instant death / cooking.

So the M92T36 backs this down and re-routes it to where it needs to go. eg BQ24193 / battery or PMIC.

This "detector" that detects the different voltages runs at between 3v and 6v, just like the rest of the chip. Pin 5 is the INTERNAL M92t36 voltage. So, if this is being backed down correctly and correct voltage etc is being selected, it is working. Thus, if at between 3v and 6v, it is working. Giving you a good indication of weather the chip is working or not.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You really don't want to see pics of my very first attempts at micro soldering, trust me on this. :)
Who are you to say what I want or not?! Gimme pictures!!!!
I'm unable to solder, So there's nothing wrong to show me your job. Besides, I'd like to see your Switch naked.

Reactions: Modificatorul

WadsRUs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is better than youtube.

We aim to please. :)

Speaking of YouTube, I've recently been watching Louis Rossmann's channel a lot - the main thing that I've taken away from this is that "the bigger the glob, the better the job" (this is referring to the fact that Louis liberally spreads huge amounts of flux over anything that he solders). :)

Reactions: Clapmaster

P3T3

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We aim to please. :)

Speaking of YouTube, I've recently been watching Louis Rossmann's channel a lot - the main thing that I've taken away from this is that "the bigger the glob, the better the job" (this is referring to the fact that Louis liberally spreads huge amounts of flux over anything that he solders). :)

Flux is your best friend when soldering, sometimes mixing the solder on the point with some lower heat melting solder will help allot as will bring the melting point down allowing you to work on chip, resistor etc with out desoldering anything else accidentally!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Goodnight