Hacking WiiXplorer Works, Loaders Don't!

Psionic Roshambo

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2011
Messages
2,262
Reaction score
1,097
Trophies
5
Age
52
XP
2,472
Country
United States
I have a launch Wii on system menu 4.3 soft mod, everything works great except USB loading.

I can load from some USB sticks I have so I know my USB is set up right in that respect.

My external enclosure is not USB powered, but WiiXplorer works great I can copy from the drive if its in NTFS or Fat32 (its an older 160GB drive.) I have changed the cluster size from 4K to 32K just to see if that changes anything and no it did not. :(

Every loader will not access the drive at all, I have tried CFG, USB, Uloader, NeoGamma (beta 57)

I am using CIOS D2x v7 final, I installed all the wads (I think like 5) The latest MIOS,

I guess the heart of my question is how come I can copy delete and do all kinds of file operations with WiiXplorer but nothing else can access that drive?

Whats the secret sauce! lol
 
Try USBloader GX beta1148 (ore newer if any).

Launch the loader, it will say "no USB device detected, changing loader mode to Channel mode".
That way, the loader will launch and create a configuration file on your SD card.
Exit the loader.

Step1. connect the SD card to your computer and edit the file :
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/GXGlobal.cfg
change IOS to 248 (which should be base IOS58. if not, select the IOS slot you have with a base 58)
And
LoaderMode = 4
(4 = Wii, 5=Wii+Nand emu, 6=Wii+Real Nand, 7=All)

Step2. Open the meta.xml in that same folder and delete the two commented lines.
Replace IOS=xxx by IOS=248

If you don't have a meta.xml in the folder, download the USBloaderGX all in one v2.3 and copy the meta.xml to your folder.


Save the files, put back the SD on your Wii and launch the USBloaderGX.
If it detects the HDD, then you have a Wii working only with (cIOS) base58.
If that's the case, it seems it's more and more spread.
 
Try USBloader GX beta1148 (ore newer if any).

Launch the loader, it will say "no USB device detected, changing loader mode to Channel mode".
That way, the loader will launch and create a configuration file on your SD card.
Exit the loader.

Step1. connect the SD card to your computer and edit the file :
SD:/apps/usbloader_gx/GXGlobal.cfg
change IOS to 248 (which should be base IOS58. if not, select the IOS slot you have with a base 58)
And
LoaderMode = 4
(4 = Wii, 5=Wii+Nand emu, 6=Wii+Real Nand, 7=All)

Step2. Open the meta.xml in that same folder and delete the two commented lines.
Replace IOS=xxx by IOS=248

If you don't have a meta.xml in the folder, download the USBloaderGX all in one v2.3 and copy the meta.xml to your folder.


Save the files, put back the SD on your Wii and launch the USBloaderGX.
If it detects the HDD, then you have a Wii working only with (cIOS) base58.
If that's the case, it seems it's more and more spread.


Thank you going to try it ASAP!

I think I already have USB Loader GX but I am going to download the one you linked just to make sure I am using the right one.

Just checking over where I installed everything I have 58 as 251. Seems odd to me now that I think about it.

I used the wad installation method on this site.

http://www.wiihacks....tion-guide.html

"
Bases are:
cIOS245[37]
cIOS246[38]
cIOS247[53]
cIOS248[55]
cIOS249[56]
cIOS250[57]
cIOS251[58]
"

I will edit this post if everything works :) (I know I always hate when I help some one and they never let me know if it worked or not lol)

Edit: After much playing around, I looked at what IOS WiiXplorer was using. Turned out it was using IOS 202? so I switched USB Loader GX (the one you linked me too) to IOS 202 and it worked, it can read the one lone game I put in the WBFS folder on Fat32.

Now the only problem is... its slooooowwww. So I am looking into what that problem is since WiiXplorer can copy files to and from the drive pretty quick... lol
 
I am having the exact same problem as PsionicRoshambo. But I can't get it to work at all with any loader. I tried CFG, USBLoaderGX, WiiFlow, none work, even though WiiXplorer can read it.

I tried setting USBLoaderGX's cIOS to 202 like Psionic did, doing what Cyan said, but it still wouldn't work. I tried installing cIOS base 58 to slot 248; didn't work. Tried using the cIOS that was already with base 58, 251; didn't work. I tried making a WBFS partition on my hard drive; didn't work. I've run out of ideas. Does anyone know why it won't work for me?
 
Even a base58 doesn't work?
Wixplorer, HBC, WiiMC are detecting the drive correctly?


Did you try another USB device?
It could be that your drive is incompatible.

if you don't have another USB HDD, you can try with any flash drive (MicroSD USB adapter works fine too)
 
No, base 58 doesn't work.
WiiXplorer recognizes it, but why would it be incompatible if WiiXplorer recognizes the drive? WiiMC recognizes it too. I have 2 pen drives that work perfectly fine.

The hard drive I am using is a Hitachi laptop hard drive, and I also tried an external hard drive, this one to be exact. I am connecting both the drives to the Wii using this adapter. Could the adapter be the problem? I don't see why it would be, since it's just a SATA-USB converter.

I'd post a syscheck log, but using it crashed my Wii...
 
Generally speaking the adapter could be the problem.
All drives itself should be compatible with the wii, only the adapter can make problems.
Most people just don't know that they use an adapter (and the rest avoids confusing them by telling them that it might be the problem).
So instead everyone talks of incompatible drives even if that's total BS.

Check that the drive is partitiond with MBR and that the partition you want to use is a primary one.
 
ah, you are using an external adapter?
I thought it was an external drive with direct USB access like this one : http://turbo.paulstamatiou.com/uploads/2008/11/seagate_freeagent_go.jpg
(the adapter is inside and you can't change it. you can change the drive though)

But if you have an external adapter, then there are a lot of chance that it's the problem.



USB Loader GX doesn't check if it's MBR or GPT anymore (both works), because some partition manager/format tools, don't always update the table correctly.
 

Site & Scene News