Hacking WiiVC Injector Script Limitations

Lotoonlink

Probably doesn't know what he's talking about
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey so I know there was already a thread dedicated to this script but whenever I asked questions there, I was given conflicting answers and I didn't want to needlessly bump the thread so here were my questions I posted there and hopefully I can get a straight answer:
Hey, I'm super new to Wii U hacking and in fact, I haven't even gotten a Wii U yet, I'm just planning out my setup. Does this tool allow me to
(1) Run Wii and Gamecube games without hacking the vWii menu?
(2) Run Wii and Gamecube games without having to install Nintendont or any other program?
(3) Have all my Wii U/Wii/Gamecube backups on one USB Hard Drive?
From my understanding, none of these was possible in the past but I'm not sure if this tool solves these issues or simply acts a forwarder that looks like a VC channel on the Wii U menu. I know this thread is pretty dated but any response would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!
The thread this was originally posted on was
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/page-290

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You still have to hack your vWii and install Nintendon't & vWii cIOS's. On top of that, you can only store software that you installed on the Wii U menu on a Wii U partitioned external HDD, the only alternative I believe is to run everything on Loadiine GX2 on the Wii U side (would probably have to modify some config files to get HBL and Loadiine GX2 to read a FAT32 HDD), and unless you wanted to split every Wii game you want to play, you would have to split the External HDD into a FAT32 and NTFS partition, on top of screwing around with UStealth.

Reactions: Lotoonlink

alainvey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Lotoonlink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just to clarify one more time, I can have all my backups on a single 1TB USB Hard Drive? Partitioning is just diving the Hard Drive into different parts, right? That way I can store my iso's each on different partitions. Will the partitions remain after formatting the drive to be compatible with the Wii U? Thanks for your answers by the way.

Edit: I also don't really see the downsides to the method I will go through with other than the 300 title limit, but I'm fine with that as everything will be on the Wii U menu.

Last edited by Lotoonlink,

alainvey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So just to clarify one more time, I can have all my backups on a single 1TB USB Hard Drive? Partitioning is just diving the Hard Drive into different parts, right? That way I can store my iso's each on different partitions. Will the partitions remain after formatting the drive to be compatible with the Wii U? Thanks for your answers by the way.

Edit: I also don't really see the downsides to the method I will go through with other than the 300 title limit, but I'm fine with that as everything will be on the Wii U menu.
You can only have one single "Wii U" format partition. Everything on it must be an installed content on the Wii U menu (this is what the other poster was getting at).

The VC injector is what makes this possible: it lets you package Wii and GC content into packages that you can install to Wii U format USB with WUP installer and then launch from the Wii U menu. You will need a working hacked vWii with cios and nintendont installed for it to work, and you have to install everything manually.

Sadly, there is still no way to have a Wii U format partition and a FAT/NTFS partition on the same drive afaik. This is still an improvement from the old days, however, as you can technically have all of your Wii U, Wii, and GC content on the same drive.

Like the other poster said, the only other option is too onerous to contemplate.

Last edited by alainvey,

Lotoonlink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can only have one single "Wii U" format partition. Everything on it must be an installed content on the Wii U menu (this is what the other poster was getting at).

The VC injector is what makes this possible: it lets you package Wii and GC content into packages that you can install to Wii U format USB with WUP installer and then launch from the Wii U menu. You will need a working hacked vWii with cios and nintendont installed for it to work, and you have to install everything manually.

Sadly, there is still no way to have a Wii U format partition and a FAT/NTFS partition on the same drive afaik. This is still an improvement from the old days, however, as you can technically have all of your Wii U, Wii, and GC content on the same drive.

Like the other poster said, the only other option is too onerous to contemplate.

Alright dope, thanks a lot! The only thing I'm worried about now is if 1TB is enough space in the first place, but I'm not planning on storing every single Wii U and Wii game available, but I'll take my time for each one and keep a nice and tight collection.

Edit: By install manually, you just mean package each game (on my computer) and installing each one with WUP installer right? Because I'm totally cool with that

Last edited by Lotoonlink,

Lotoonlink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for bumping this thread again but I keep reading conflicting answers on threads so I need to ABSOLUTELY VERIFY that Wii U/Wii/Gamecube games will be stored on an external hard drive and no ISO's will need to be saved to the NAND/SD Card.

I NEED to know this because the SD Card I'm getting will not be chosen to hold any games (only 64 GB), while the external Hard Drive (1 TB) will need to be the sole carrier of the ROMs, the section of data that will take up the most space.

If the thread I mentioned in my first post ONLY acts as a forwarder to vWii games that MUST be installed to the SD CARD, I have to find some other way. The tool I'm looking for packages Wii/Gamecube games into a Wii U installable file that will only take up space on the external HARD DRIVE.

Thank you SO MUCH for any answers, sorry for repeating myself and hopefully this is the last question on this thread that I'll post.

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am having the weirdest glitch with one inject, I am installing Mario Kart Wii, it builds, it installs, it works, however I am using my own custom bootsound that I converted to wav, I've done the same process for Project M, Brawl, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, they all work. However, when I launch the the Title, the boot sound is a woman (in a Siri-like voice) repeatedly saying the word asterisk over and over? It only seems to be for Mario Kart Wii, I've downloaded and reconverted the track, so I can't determine what is wrong, but I will try a different bootsound and get back to you, but I would prefer to use this bootsound.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Lotoonlink, if you are installing GC or Wii games, you would be installing it WUPInstaller GX2, which ALWAYS lets you choose between USB or NAND. I don't know how that was not made clear, but it works like any other Wii U installation.

Lotoonlink

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Lotoonlink, if you are installing GC or Wii games, you would be installing it WUPInstaller GX2, which ALWAYS lets you choose between USB or NAND. I don't know how that was not made clear, but it works like any other Wii U installation.
Great! That's what I originally thought. The confusion I got was when other users said that the tool acts as a "forwarder", which led me to think that the iso file is separate from the packaged title. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Great! That's what I originally thought. The confusion I got was when other users said that the tool acts as a "forwarder", which led me to think that the iso file is separate from the packaged title. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
The iso file is part of the package but for GCN games you'll ned a SD card where you'll store Nintendont boot.dol (which is just some MBs, don't worry). You're technically installing a forwarder+ISO. The forwarder is to Nintendont, which will start the game in your NAND/USB.

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just in case your wondering, if you were to install EVERY single WiiU including game updates, this is NOT including those 3rd party Indie and Virtual Console titles on the eShop.
Your looking at around just over 1.1TB.

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have used wiiVC inject to inject wii and gamecube retail titles and installed them using wup installer. It works without having to hack the vWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol