Hardware WiiU Pro controller to PC -- buy Mayflash or use WiinUPro?

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to finally give one of our Wii U Pro controllers something to do, and use it on Retroarch with this PC I just put together a couple weeks ago. PC's mobo has built-in wifi and bluetooth (ASRock z270 Killer sli/ac), so I should be able to accomplish this for *free* using WiiNUPro. But I dug around for tutorials on YT and found that there was no consistency in the 'how-to.' On the other hand, the Mayflash adapter is $17 or something.

Experiences? Advice?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no experience with WiiNUPro specifically (or Wii U Pro controllers on Windows in general), but on Linux, Wii U Pro controllers work out of the box, assuming you have Linux 3.10 and BlueZ 5.11 (or later versions).

Since you already have Bluetooth, I'd recommend trying out WiiNUPro first to see how well it works before considering buying the Mayflash adapter.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,
Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you already have Bluetooth, I'd recommend trying out WiiNUPro first to see how well it works before considering buying the Mayflash adapter.

Thanks, I thought the same thing, so I went ahead and gave it a shot. Works great. As far as my PC is concerned, I have an XB360 controller plugged in.

I'm pretty close to dumping Retroarch though and going back to discrete emus. What a PITA that thing is.

Edit:
So basically just typing this for reference purposes, if someone comes along searching for this kind of info. The WiiNuSoft software gets the job done. (Research the difference b/n WiiNUPro and WiiNUSoft - the "Soft" is a lite version, and all you're likely to need.) The only downside to this is the controller itself - it's made for use on a Wii U, so there's no on/off switch. And once it's connected to your PC (Bluetooth), it stays connected even after you've turned off Retroarch and detached it in WiiNUSoft. So if you're putting it down for hours/days, that little blue light is going to stay lit (and your controller's battery is gonna drain) unless you also go into Windows' "Bluetooth & other devices" setting and disconnect the controller. And once you've done that, the next time you want to use it, you must start from scratch with WiiNUSoft. This is a 15 second procedure at most, but it's a hoop you have to jump through that might not be required with a paid solution (i.e. mayflash adapter).

Overall though, thumbs up.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I thought the same thing, so I went ahead and gave it a shot. Works great. As far as my PC is concerned, I have an XB360 controller plugged in.

I'm pretty close to dumping Retroarch though and going back to discrete emus. What a PITA that thing is.

Edit:
So basically just typing this for reference purposes, if someone comes along searching for this kind of info. The WiiNuSoft software gets the job done. (Research the difference b/n WiiNUPro and WiiNUSoft - the "Soft" is a lite version, and all you're likely to need.) The only downside to this is the controller itself - it's made for use on a Wii U, so there's no on/off switch. And once it's connected to your PC (Bluetooth), it stays connected even after you've turned off Retroarch and detached it in WiiNUSoft. So if you're putting it down for hours/days, that little blue light is going to stay lit (and your controller's battery is gonna drain) unless you also go into Windows' "Bluetooth & other devices" setting and disconnect the controller. And once you've done that, the next time you want to use it, you must start from scratch with WiiNUSoft. This is a 15 second procedure at most, but it's a hoop you have to jump through that might not be required with a paid solution (i.e. mayflash adapter).

does WiiNuSoft make your pc think its a xbox 360 controller?? if so, try controller companion... its 2.99 on steam and it allows your controller to be used as a mouse with a built in keyboard for searches on chrome and the ability to turn on/off when your pc is on or shut down... also allows you to use the home button to launch any app on your desktop or steam big picture mode... so if this could possibly work with a wii u pro controller or any sort of controller with software associated inputs... that would be awesome... and I would be more likely to recommend this app...

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does WiiNuSoft make your pc think its a xbox 360 controller?? if so, try controller companion... its 2.99 on steam and it allows your controller to be used as a mouse with a built in keyboard for searches on chrome and the ability to turn on/off when your pc is on or shut down... also allows you to use the home button to launch any app on your desktop or steam big picture mode... so if this could possibly work with a wii u pro controller or any sort of controller with software associated inputs... that would be awesome... and I would be more likely to recommend this app...

Sorry, I'm not a Steam user. But I expect this would work, because yeah the WiiNuSoft app does exactly that ... tells your PC the attached controller is an Xbox 360 controller (i.e. XInput).

Reactions: DarkRioru

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the Mayflash adapter for my Wii U Pro Controllers. Technically they are a pair of those Hyperkin ProCube controllers. When I use Mayflash's adapter in Xinout mode, everything works perfectly but for one controller at a time. I can use multiple controllers in Dinput mode but with no signs of proper rumble and Steam will not pickup on my home button. All of that aside, the Mayflash adapter was easy to setup and it does work with a few small nagging issues.

...Just my two cents on the Mayflash adapter.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone been able to get all the buttons to work when using this adapter in DInput mode? Sure you get to use multiple controllers whilst sacrificing the ability to use rumble but none of that matters if some buttons refuse to register.

Last edited by LightyKD,

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Edit:

Press they Sync button on the back to disconnect

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiinUpro works perfectly with Toshiba Stack on my Win 7 HP Elitebook's stock BT card. It is very responsive and even works with Rosalina's Input Redirection function with very low (if any) lag.

Wiinupro will make the PC think a X360 controller (xInput) is connected (ugh, I know), but it really is a cleaver set up, and works very well.

Don't forget in Winupro to switch the A/B/Y/X to the normal N setup (they are flipped on the 360), and save yourself some swearing later. they are by default (alphabetically) 1:1 i.e. Ninty A to Xbox A, which is placed at Ninty B on X360.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiinUpro works perfectly with Toshiba Stack on my Win 7 HP Elitebook's stock BT card. It is very responsive and even works with Rosalina's Input Redirection function with very low (if any) lag.

Wiinupro will make the PC think a X360 controller (xInput) is connected (ugh, I know), but it really is a cleaver set up, and works very well.

Don't forget in Winupro to switch the A/B/Y/X to the normal N setup (they are flipped on the 360), and save yourself some swearing later. they are by default (alphabetically) 1:1 i.e. Ninty A to Xbox A, which is placed at Ninty B on X360.

Will the PC recognize the controller each time upon boot or do you have to run a program each time you want to use the controller? I'm trying to see if I should bite the bullet and just buy another Mayflash adapter for my player 2 controller. BTW I want A=A, B=B, X=X and Y=Y. I'm using those GameCube style pro controllers from Hyperkin and I'm having a blast with them. Makes playing games a lot easier when you don't have to look down at the buttons.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will the PC recognize the controller each time upon boot or do you have to run a program each time you want to use the controller? I'm trying to see if I should bite the bullet and just buy another Mayflash adapter for my player 2 controller. BTW I want A=A, B=B, X=X and Y=Y. I'm using those GameCube style pro controllers from Hyperkin and I'm having a blast with them. Makes playing games a lot easier when you don't have to look down at the buttons.
It will start on boot, both Toshiba bluetooth stack and WiinUpro and it saves the device, however, you still have to connect it with the stack each time you want to use it, a few clicks at most.

Last edited by kehkou,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use titan one, while is not free and $60 usb bluetooth dongle, it comes with software that enable controller mods, and can be used with other consoles. It emulates PS4, Ps3. Xbox one and Xbox 360 Controls with various plug and play usb, or bluetooth controllers. $60 was worth it for me at least. But if you want cheap or free methods, I dunno any. I have mayflash wii u pro usb dongle, the only problem is A and B is reversed. So you pretty much need a options menu to change the buttons or you are forced to remember the buttons are swapped.

WII U A = XBox 360 A
They are not the same location, so is confusing. It also says it works with PS3 with the HID input option on the dongle but it very weird as analog clicks are normal face buttons. Is a thing i regret buying since it was cheap, Cheap purchase and cheap product with no way to fix the issues. If you care anything what I have to say, get a titan one or wait for titan 2 to be released, a upgrade to titan one. (or find someone else who knows better free method) :ninja:

Or just get xbox 360 controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'd consider Chromebooks an Android PC.