WiiU Has Last Gen Radeon Inside

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Hadrian, Jun 14, 2011.

Jun 14, 2011
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Of course WiiU specs probably still haven't even been finalised.

Source

2. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    Wow, tbh I don`t understand anything I`m reading there... [​IMG]

I guess for me it counts what the end-result is and not how they achieve it. Though I don`t see much room when I look at games like Uncharted 2, GoW III or Battlefield 3 to look that much better so you actually could notice it... Doesn`t it end at photorealism?! Maybe the scale of games could change? [​IMG]

Honestly the only thing that I dislike about the Wiis graphical abilities is that it is not in 1080p and maybe that it cannot process open-worlds like other consols. The graphics however very quickly become something that I kind of blend out when the gameplay is gripping.

I would take the SkywardsSword artstyle anyday over the "one" from LANoire if it would be in 1080p but I guess it has to suit the gameplay and setting so it is kind of wrong to generalize this.

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Why of course it's a last-gen chip, what'd you expect?

A current-gen chip would cost 75% of the final console's price, they have to go cheapo, but "well" performance-wise. It's silly to even compare the performance of said chip in PC's and in consoles - a console doesn't have to "carry" a buffy and resource-monging OS. It will use its raw power, and it will most likely be amazing to look at.

4. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Last-gen doesn't really even sound bad.

Inb4PS4720willhavecurrentgen...

5. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    thts quite nice to hear but if the gameplay is not "like a true game", the games will be less hardcore in their playability which was the fear for most ppl. crytek says graphics are great but can u make what u always make on the wiiu

6. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Yes, PS4 and the 720 will have "current-gen" GFX chips... in five years time, when they're no longer "current".

There isn't a company that uses the latest chips at their disposal in consoles or other electronics, the components are always tested for several years beforehand and they may not reach a certain maximum price tag to be included, otherwise your device would cost you more than a hardcore PC.

7. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    This.

If they had a current high-end graphics card in the console, it would pretty much be more than a current consoles price and much more..

8. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Not only that - think about the heatsink issues. The chips included have to use very little energy and have to emmit as little heat as possible. Using a contemporary high-end chip would make the system HUGE. Bigger than the old XBox. The power adapter would be massive aswell. Do you want another ugly, huge "box" like this sitting under your TV, humming with at least three fans like it's a rocket about to lift off?

The chip has to be refined, miniaturised, fairly easy to keep cool (otherwise, Red Rings of Death revisited) and first and foremost cheap for the console to sell.

9. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    I dont trust them. I will wait for Nintendo to say about WiiU specs.. Too many rumors and gossip. They are annoying. *FACEPALM*. Just wait for Nintendo's reveal about it. Save your breath. [​IMG]

10. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Yup and would cost even more than what the PS3 did when that was launched and Sony lost so much on each sale. They've only just started to make profit off the console sales now.

11. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I might be wrong,but I doubt they will be that detailed.

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Sounds a little high to me, but I'll speculate as if it was true...

This. Even when games do run under an "OS", it's often just a light "virtual" layer that can link back to the main OS if needed. Consoles have always been able to pump out way better visuals than PCs on the same hardware (I swear to god if anybody responds to this without paying attention to the italics I'm going to smack them), so I'm actually surprised to hear it's something that recent.

It'll likely not be clocked nearly as high (or have nearly as many shaders) as something like the 4870 (as mentioned heat is an issue), but what is there will hopefully be used properly. It's likely a recent chip so that some of the current technologies will be made useful. Directx 10 is more efficient then 9 for example (most people think otherwise because Crysis didn't actually have a DX10 mode, it just pushed DX10 shaders on top of DX9, making things slower and giving people a bad impression when they were able to hack the options to on (even though some of the DX10 effects didn't show up, they didn't notice them)), and with consoles it's all about efficiency. Each console has the exact same hardware so you don't need to program in a bunch of fallbacks, so you can use everything that's there properly... but it's a lower level than PCs so you need to be a bit more careful.

13. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I'm actually not entirely convinced by this news post anyways, Nintendo's known to utilize custom GPU/CPU's built for them per-order.

AMD's official statement is already well-known:

Nothing in this quote even remotely points at the specific architecture that's going to be used, all we really know is that it's going to be custom-built.

14. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    FACEPALM. There other articles out there saying they heavily customized the old RADEON with special optimizations including extra ram. This altered last Radeon is more than likely what AMD was talking about. It also supports 4 video out signals, Nintendo is clearly experimenting to use that for the rumored 4 umotes being "connected"

15. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Why are you facepalming? You just proved what I said yourself - that they took an older RADEON design and customized it for Nintendo's specific wishes. All I said is that the article does not specify which series it was exactly. R700 is a very loose term, there were several types of R7xx chips with different capabilities. Actually, it's a bit early to pin-point the chip as R7xx.

16. Yu-Gi-Oh 100

Member Yu-Gi-Oh 100 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    troll alert

17. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Yeah Yugi, YOU.

Anyway, this is actually better than i expected. The word was is was going to use the same gfx chip as the 360 I believe. Which would be a tragedy in 2011.

18. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Rumor is, you're believing this rumor to be fact over the other rumor. Aren't rumors fun!

Things that aren't confirmed fact really need to have "Rumor" placed in the subject line. Otherwise people come running in thinking it's fact, more so then if it was just labeled as so. Unless the information comes straight from Nintendo, we really need to remember to take everything with a grain of salt at this point.

19. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It might be the latest now, but when the Wii U is actually released it will be outdated like crap.

So this is pointless, and I agree with Foxi4 who says that all companies use the latest technology available.

20. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    It's slated for release in one year or just over a year. If they're using graphics from 2008 or so, it won't become much more outdated in 1 year. Certainly not "outdated like crap".