WiiU boot intervention

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by B4rtj4h, Apr 19, 2013.

Apr 19, 2013

WiiU boot intervention by B4rtj4h at 10:22 AM (2,871 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. B4rtj4h
    OP

Member B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Netherlands
    With the update Nintendo is releasing next week they have a few new options.
    One of them is to hold "B" on the Gamepad/ Gamecontroller and it will boot directly in to vWii mode.

I think there is a possible way for us to get in to that. (ofc. from the moment that we can look in to the memory from the WiiU.)

When we are in that starting sequence I think we can insert our own possible .elf loader.

So yeah. It's a big "IF"... but it's possible.

2. metroid maniac

Member metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

United Kingdom
    No... No, it isn't possible.
    There's less possibility for an exploit that way than there is through the normal boot process.

julialy and bezem like this.
  3. julialy

Member julialy Homebrewer

United States
    why are you still guessing?

it could be possible tho...

4. driverdis

Member driverdis I am Justice

United States
    Its
    Its not possible. what it probably does is boot in Wii U mode same as before,but then switch to vWii based on if you held "B" while it was booting.its probably automated and may not even require a wiimote to launch it this way.

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Man you guys are just praying for anything aren't you?

I'm waiting until the:

"Nintendo just updated New Super Mario Bros U. I think that might allow us to get in..."

driverdis likes this.
  6. beano311

Newcomer beano311 Advanced Member

United States

New Super Luigi U DLC is coming out, maybe we can intercept the download before it gets to the Wii U and change Luigi to Waluigi and then everything will be upside down because Waluigi's logo is Luigi's but upside down and then when the Wii U boot, holding B will make it launch U iiW, which is Wii U backwards and will make it backwards compatible with the Wii hacks and we can finally install the Wii U Homebrew Channel that Nintendo has been hiding from us since launch.

7. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I read that as "You, ew."

Maxternal likes this.
  8. beano311

Newcomer beano311 Advanced Member

United States
    Yeah, I did not mean to call anyone a female sheep (that's a "ewe"); however I just realized that I was wrong anyway, it wouldn't be Wii U backwards, it would be Wii U upside down, or "M!! n"... this changes everything and invalidates my theorem. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

In all seriousness though, I don't think Nintendo is doing anything different here than they are doing when you launch vWii from the Wii U home screen, meaning if it could be done, it would have been done probably at launch. If it is redirecting to vWii somehow at boot without loading any Wii U code, chances are it'll actually be even more secure than when you launch it from the Wii U menu...

Slimmmmmm likes this.
  9. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    An important detail to note here is that you have to hold (B) on the GAMEPAD which means it's still in Wii U mode and we don't have access to that mode yet.

At most you could use this to temporarily bypass the hard drive format nag screen.

10. blaisedinsd

Member blaisedinsd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah it's actually kind of silly, hold b on the gamepad to boot in to a mode that immediately makes the gamepad useless and forces you to change controllers

11. Ray Lewis

Banned Ray Lewis Banned

United States
    Anyone hear about update and hack?

12. julialy

Member julialy Homebrewer

United States
    update not released until thursday