OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, i was wondering, what chip would be better to build. becouse i can see from the pictures that the chiip is like a ton less of soldering work and looks a bit higher, but the wiip is in my opinion more likely to get a larger support group. So my question is, what are your toughts on this matter.

Greetz Tiny.

p.s. sources: chiip wiip

Fatal

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE(http://chiip.dl.am) said:
In fact both projects are so similar that, with just tiny modifications, the Wiip firmware should run just fine on Chiip (The other way around is a bit harder though, as Chiip uses a more powerful microcontroller, and Chiip's current firmware size already exceeds the maximum size of the microcontroller Wiip uses)
The Chiip website say the Chiip can be changed into Wiip.

fiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither of these projects have relased source code yet. Until that happens I think the jury will remain out. I'll be doing a chiip implementation hopefully within the next week, but am prepared to switch to wiip (or any other solution) at a moments notice.

hazamatic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've ordered the Chiip already. It's hard to find fault with it considering how cheap the components are.

Only negative thing about the chiip atm is that apparently some original games no longer work after installing the chiip. The author says this will soon be fixed with a software upgrade.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive so I can try it out
smile.gif

dsdork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took a real close look at building a chiip when it was first announced but was not too stoked about early problems or the idea of building a programmer. I swore I was going to wait to let things with wii chips settle down a bit before buying anything; but, I jumped on a wiip preorder yesterday. I like the idea of consistent hardware for developers, a programming cable I'll probably tweak to mess around with .exe mods, and having the chip on a board.
I used a $15 paypal discount I had so I'll only have $15 (shipping was $7.50) into the project.

I'm going to put the chip in a dongle to facilitated reprogramming as well as to let me change out to a parallel cable or another chip (maybe a Chiip) easily.

Dylanwhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This chip is currenlty not worth the $20 they're selling it for.

Is the package they are offering of the chip, board, and programming cable worth $20?

I got way too impatient waiting for a PIC hex to come out and I ordered a Wiip yesterday. Knowing my luck a great PIC hex will now come out... lucky for you guys. What kind of connector for the programmer will be on the chip itself?

This might be a stretch but It would be cool if you could solder the programming connector to the pins on the gamecube memory card port and solder your programming cable to a gamecube memory card, that way you could program without a cable coming out of the vent or a serial port in the back of the Wii. Any thoughts?

_zZz_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
its a pitty that chiip is based on cyclowiz v1, meaning it has the same problems. I'll wait one or two months for a stable release of this mod chips and then I'll build mine..

in the meanwhile, I'll start the "backup" of originals
tongue.gif

Stripey_Horse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1-2weeks for a Updated firmware for both the wiip and chiip is silly.

BOTH will have updates soon , now that the firmware for the wapCheapMod has been released with source code. (and it works with ALL wiis)

just remember , with all the scene fights we the normal public get GREAT results.. its happened all too often in every other console scene (xbox , xbox360 etc)

i suggest expect opensource D2A , Region Free and DVD speed in all current open source firmwares soon.

myself i see no point for a wiinja style hex release.. Thanks for wiinja and cyclone team for there results. If u want a EASY mod , buy one. ALL current chips work just how they are suppost to..

BUT remember. the source code for Other region backups is out in the wild. HOW long will that take to make it into a opensource firmware.. NOT LONG

just my 2cents worth..

EDIT.. before i get the flames that the chiip doesnt boot originals..

REALLY.. come on. how long will this take to get fixed.. How good did the first Wiinja work , or the cyclone?

lets all just calm down and wait a little bit..

IM damm happy i built a chiip MYSELF and used code that will be opensource soon.

Dylanwhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1-2weeks for a Updated firmware for both the wiip and chiip is silly.

BOTH will have updates soon , now that the firmware for the wapCheapMod has been released with source code. (and it works with ALL wiis)

just remember , with all the scene fights we the normal public get GREAT results.. its happened all too often in every other console scene (xbox , xbox360 etc)

i suggest expect opensource D2A , Region Free and DVD speed in all current open source firmwares soon.

myself i see no point for a wiinja style hex release.. Thanks for wiinja and cyclone team for there results. If u want a EASY mod , buy one. ALL current chips work just how they are suppost to..

BUT remember. the source code for Other region backups is out in the wild. HOW long will that take to make it into a opensource firmware.. NOT LONG

just my 2cents worth..

EDIT.. before i get the flames that the chiip doesnt boot originals..

REALLY.. come on. how long will this take to get fixed.. How good did the first Wiinja work , or the cyclone?

lets all just calm down and wait a little bit..

IM damm happy i built a chiip MYSELF and used code that will be opensource soon.

Amen to that. I think both are safe buys/makes.

Has anyone heard back on when tcniso is shipping the first set of Wiip preorders?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/sg0D1PpgCXs?si=rnzM6Df7jeL6FiPz