Wiimote chargers recommendations

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by AdamBrunt, Mar 17, 2010.

Mar 17, 2010
  1. AdamBrunt
    OP

Member AdamBrunt GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hi all,

I currently have a "Joytech Power Station" which can charge up to 2 Wiimotes (I only have 2 anyway) using a cradle that connects into the Wii's power lead. This is now beginning to play up and refusing to charge the Wiimotes (maybe you're not supposed to the Wiimotes in the charging unit all the time - which is what I am currently doing).

Anyways, I am now looking for recommendations for a new, reliable, charger. It only needs to be able to charge 2 Wiimotes at a time. All the ones I see on eBay get their power from one of the Wii's USB ports (but since an HDD uses one of mine and a hub - connected to a mic and LAN adaptor - uses the other, I am hoping I just plug it into the hub. They all state the Wii needs to be on in order to charge the Wiimote but would I right in saying that provided the Wii is in standby mode (orange light) then the USB ports are powered ? Certainly the power light on my HDD stays on when the Wii is in standby ?

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a Wiimote charging station ?

TIA for any help.

Regards,

Adam Brunt

2. submit545

Newcomer submit545 Member

United States
    you can try the nyko charge station, I've been using it since i got my wii last year and it works great

3. Ofterdingen

Newcomer Ofterdingen Member

Germany
    I can recommend the Charger Stand from bigben interactive, I got it two months ago. It gets its power from the USB ports and charges the battery in 3 and a half hours. It does work through a hub and is active in Standby Mode, your HDD will stay on too.

4. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    get yourself some rechargeable nimh they work the best. the wii chargers aren't even half as good

5. MattJ

Newcomer MattJ Member

United Kingdom
    I personally use the Exspect Drop 'N' Charge simply because you don't have to remove the silicone case (or motion plus) to charge it.

It does charge up through USB, but you get an adapter to plug it into the main power supply too. I have no idea where to get this outside of the UK however.

6. AdamBrunt
    OP

7. shadowtroop

Newcomer shadowtroop Advanced Member

United States
    DO NOT get any specially made chargers. They will fail on you easily and even destroy the wii remote itself. I recommend getting some NiMHs and a charger, probably around 20-35$.

8. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Proof? That's only likely if you bought one made by some unknown company somewhere.

OP: I use the Energizer Inductive charger; it ran about $40

9. AdamBrunt
    OP

Never heard any stories about that. My charger has been working fine (and I bought it about 1 month after buying my Wii at launch).

10. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    I just use energizer rechargeables. 4 AA's with the charger were only 20$, and they last a while between charges. Never had a problem, and they seem cheaper then all of the good charge stations I've seen.

11. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    even if it's not true the wii chargers you get all have low charge you'll be charging your motes a lot more using them since they contain low charge batt/packs. you are better off getting nimh and a charger. you can buy up to 2800 Mah they'll last a while.

12. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    sanyo eneloop AA's are the best. in japan sanyo even do an inductive charger for wiimotes with them, no idea why they haven't made it out to the rest of the world.