Wiimc Vs .mp4

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by UrkeytaY, Mar 25, 2012.

Mar 25, 2012

Wiimc Vs .mp4 by UrkeytaY at 6:45 PM (10,899 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. UrkeytaY
    OP

Member UrkeytaY GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I use Wiimc on an almost daily basis. I don't have, nor want cable tv, so I just download all the shows I want to watch and stream them to my tv via my Wii.

Recently, the tv ripping scene set rules where shows have to be in mp4 vs xvid/avi format (which always played perfectly). Additionally, these are not HD format, but standard.

As a result, I find myself having to either pause, click rewind, etc...just to make the sound and video sync back up again. It's quite annoying, and a huge pain to boot since I have to do it several times throughout a 21 minute show.

I checked the Wiimc forum, and there was only one post about it, but nothing of value. Besides, that forum isn't as active as this one anyways.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem, because surely I can't be the only one?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Convert the videos to a different format.

3. UrkeytaY
    OP

United States
    I've also thought of that, and a few places where I get shows from have people do that, but it's by far consistent. You have to admit, that isn't the most convenient alternative either, simply due to the time it takes to re-encode something.

I'm actually considering purchasing a roku, or apple tv so that I can stream anything I throw at it...

4. Tantric

Member Tantric GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    There really isn't any other option. Either use a format that's less CPU intensive, use a different box, use VLC-Shares, or someone needs to add DLNA support to WiiMC!

5. ZombiePosessor

Member ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I used to worry about this until I bought a tablet. I've basically said goodbye to my TV. Everything is thru PC or tablet. My TV quit working so I had a choice to make. The TV or something I could use anytime plus watch stuff on.

6. djgabba

Newcomer djgabba Member

United Kingdom
    Yes i have had the same problem the way i have got around this is by using
    'Any Video Converter Professional' and converting all by this set up

Output Profile - Customized AVI Movie (*.avi)

Video Options
    Video Codec - xvid
    Frame Size - 640x360
    Video Bitrate - 1000
    Video Framerate - 24

Audio Options
    Audio Codec - mp3
    Audio Bitrate - 192
    Sample Rate - 44100
    Audio Channel - 2
    Disable Audio - No
    A/V Sync - Basic

(on my pc it takes about 7mins to convert each 21min tv series episode & the file size of the converted episode is around 178MB - 185MB)

Then after i finsh converting i put the converted episodes on my HD Drive fire up the wii and watch thru WiiMC
    I have been doing this with all my dvd movies i own just resently and never had any play problems at all on WiiMC & MediaPlayer CE

PS i have found that if you make the frame size to big (eg 1280-720) while using the setup i have stated above you'll get problems with the picture going red and out of focus all the time.

game_rat likes this.
  7. Bumper

Newcomer Bumper Member

United Kingdom
    Yes same here i'm converting the files to xvid.

8. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    i use dvix. (converts nice an smooth), it will let you choose what you want to convert the movies to use on..( computer.tv, or any game station.).

9. UrkeytaY
    OP

United States
    Seems as if converting is the only way for now, so I decided to start converting all my shows going forward.

Still going to consider another option, which basically means my Wii is going to become a decoration...unless booze, friends, and Mario Party 9 gets involved =)

Thanks everyone

10. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    try an down grade wiimc, first before you go through the head ache of redoing all your video. i use 1.1.5, yeah the "upgrade prompt is a pain in the ass, but seems the older versions of wii mc, have less trouble with video formats. mkv,mp4 mp3,an divx video play fine on my version, i even have playon. an it doesn't really have any problems with wii mc. (same as you hate paying for free channels.) screw cable/satilite.

11. bert02

Member bert02 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i find it gets a little out of sync but it gets back into sync again...?? mine havent been too bad not enough to bother converting them just glad it can play them

12. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Actually, the problem is h.264 video, not the mp4 container format. You will find that mkvs with h.264 have the same problem. Unfortunately, wiimc does not support hardware accelerated h.264 decoding so it has to all be done on the Wii's main CPU which is fairly slow.

13. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Im re-upping this thread because I notice that MP4 files tend to be smaller than AVI and I really want to find a nice middle ground between file size and quality. I usually downgrade my videos from HD source footage with total video converter at a resolution of 720x480 but my files tend to be around 400+mb and I would like to lower the file size without killing quality.

14. nakata6790

Member nakata6790 True Player

Greece
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMC#Media_Playback
    These are the limits to the resolution and bitrate for smooth playback on WiiMC.

Personal example, i have the complete Married with children series on my HDD. Some certain episodes are at 576i and these stutter with WiiMC. The others are 640x480 or 720x400 and play perfectly.

I use MPlayer for those and revert to WiiMC plus for the rest.
    MP4, MKV, avi and whatnot play great, as long as they comply to the restrictions above.

15. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Xvid/AVI are the middle ground between file size and playback quality. If you want to get a smaller file size while retaining quality (and not having slowdowns or sync issues), then Xvid is the way to go. On something like the Wii with limited CPU power, H.264/MP4 sacrifice play-quality for a smaller file size, which usually isn't worth it.

Edit: It should also be noted that you can alternatively drop your resolution to a width of 640. This will decrease the file size while keeping most of the quality since a higher resolution without a higher bitrate looks worse than a lower resolution with the same bitrate.

Even H.264/MP4 videos that comply with the resolution standards above can still have slowdown issues because the format is often times more CPU-intensive than the Wii can handle.

16. LightyKD

United States
    Did a file test. XVIX @ 640x480 was roughly smaller than 720x480 with both files being roughly 500+ megs and mp4/h264 was roughly at 300+ megs but I never got around to testing that MP4. I see all of these 22 minute @ roughly 175 to 230 megs and I really want to figure that shit out! :P

17. Lacius

United States
    Your bitrate is probably unnecessarily high. Something with a width of 640 doesn't really need a bitrate any higher than 1000 kbps.

18. LightyKD

United States
    Do you have a video conversion program that you recommend. I'm open to all ideas right now :)

19. Lacius

United States
    I like Avidemux and MediaCoder.

20. LightyKD

United States
    Cool. Ill give them a shot.