WiiKey/WiiClip Help!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by drfsupercenter, Jan 27, 2009.

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    So...

I got fed up trying to learn to solder, so I just ordered a presoldered WiiKey + WiiClip. I put it on, and it seemed to work great. I took some tape and made sure it was thoroughly in place, then put my Wii all back together.

Here's the problem. I burned the newest update disc (1.9s), and it shows up as a GameCube game. I try to run it, it just flashes black and I see a Health and Safety screen again. The config disc just says "Disc error" and refuses to run. I tried it in Gecko OS and it said there was no disc. (I do have 3.2U so I can use Trucha stuff.)

Initially, it would read some older legit games such as Twilight Princess, and also my DVD+R backups of TP, etc. But I put in my legit disc of Brawl and it made weird noises and said it couldn't read it.

I found an older config disc sitting around, and that DID load. It said "1.9X", but seeing as how S comes before X, I think that was a generic term used for the updates. Am I right?
    So now it loads Brawl just fine.

However, my new backups still don't work. I have Sonic Unleashed, Boom Blox, etc... it just says the disc is unreadable. I did try Wii Play and it works great.

Do these games require a new update? Or maybe the ones I downloaded were "region free"? I heard the WiiKey doesn't work with region free games, that could be it. Maybe I'll try using the ISO dumper on those games.

Does anyone know? Why the new update/config discs don't work? It's not possible I have a bad modchip, is it?

2. Diffusion

Diffusion GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    Try different media. 1.9X is 1.9s when it was in beta.

3. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I used Verbatim DVD+R, burned at 6x...

Is there anything better? I can try another Verbatim... but I don't have any other media.

So is there a difference between 1.9X and 1.9s, functionality-wise? I'm curious why my new backups won't work, and I think maybe I got the "region free" versions that only work with loaders.

4. bugaveli

bugaveli Banned

Banned
    Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    In a remote place
    well you used a dvd+r first of all did you set the booktype for your burner.

5. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Yeah.

I'm no n00b when it comes to burning... both the 1.9X and 1.9S update discs are bitset to DVD-ROM.

Just a question, will the WiiKey work with DVD+RW? Because that might save on me wasting discs... How do I find out if a game is region free? Would I try booting it with a soft-chip and see what happens?

6. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I just copied Sonic Unleashed using nitrotux's ISO dumper, and it too doesn't work.

I put the disc in and nothing shows up except "The disc is not readable".

Is there some reason that particular game won't work with my WiiKey?