Hacking Wiikey update: Update!

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dought that the wiikey is even updatable via dvd. thats why they say as little as possable about the update and if you notice the are trying to distance them selfs from it by refering to the developers and they are waiting as we are. if this update is so close to finishing why dont they give a list of features. they also make it sound like they were forced into making this anouncement 5 days after there ETA because of all the emails complaining. there plan has worked there adverts have made the wiikey the best selling chip. now there just trying to sell as many as possable before something better comes out.
It's updatable. It uses a ATMEGA8 chip, which can be updated via DVD. This has just been proven by the OpenWii team, which released a DVD update for the ATmega8 chips.

EarthBound

a/s/l?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's this about the BIOS?

Jeez I need to catch up!

My Chiip has worked fine for me, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a Wiikey. It's now cheaper than it was when I originally modded my Wii, and I don't like taking the damn chip out to upgrade it every time!

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's this about the BIOS?

Jeez I need to catch up!

My Chiip has worked fine for me, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a Wiikey. It's now cheaper than it was when I originally modded my Wii, and I don't like taking the damn chip out to upgrade it every time!
Just flash the newest openwii firmware to your Chiip, and then you will have DVD upgrade for any future updates. No need to buy a wiikey.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I personally am extremely chuffed (this means happy in England
nyanya.gif
) with my Wiikey. It plays basically everything I throw at it. Never had a disc read error, super paper mario plays fine, Pikmin2 & other GCN games play fine.

The only thing I could ask for in an update is support for NTSC-Trauma Centre, second opinion. I loved it on the DS but its only available for the wii in NTCS format and it dosnt work on PAL Wiikey consoles apparantly.

Apart from that, the Wiikey is great & definately the best modchip solution IMHO. If people dont like it they can remove it & try someting different. (assuming they didnt permenantly weld it to their Wii mobo during installation.
laugh.gif
)

pipesfranco

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I personally am extremely chuffed (this means happy in EnglandÂ
nyanya.gif
) with my Wiikey. It plays basically everything I throw at it. Never had a disc read error, super paper mario plays fine, Pikmin2 & other GCN games play fine.

The only thing I could ask for in an update is support for NTSC-Trauma Centre, second opinion. I loved it on the DS but its only available for the wii in NTCS format and it dosnt work on PAL Wiikey consoles apparantly.

Apart from that, the Wiikey is great & definately the best modchip solution IMHO. If people dont like it they can remove it & try someting different. (assuming they didnt permenantly weld it to their Wii mobo during installation.
laugh.gif
)

I agree whole heartedly fellow countryman I wish this situation was laid to bed!

StacMaster-S

Trophies
Website
www.halolz.com
XP
Country
United States
In general, it's tough to complain about the Wiikey in its current state, even if it never gets patched again (although I'm pretty confident the team will keep working on it). True, right now I can't play Naruto 4 or EX (gotta hookup my GC for 4 now), but it can handle so many other games perfectly that for the price I paid ($40) it was certainly worth the effort.

I'm just hoping the WiiKey dev team is like Blizzard, they just hold the releases until they're happy with them.

Dazimus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not so much the update I want but the new GCOS that's coming with it. The new version supposedly has better compatibility with region detecting and a few other useful features but that wont come out until the new Wiikey update is out.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Just check wiikey.cn/news.html. The Wiikey folks don't apparently hang out on any of the various forums, so there is no official news but their web site.

Now, if you want random speculation, then this is definately the right place...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show