Hacking Wiikey setup disc on 3.0E

Mooglepies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello all, I hate to use my first post as a cry for help but I am rapidly going insane.

I'm a proud owner of a PAL Wii I bought at launch (Midnight December 3rd 2006). I updated sometime last month to 3.0E firmware.About a month ago I decided that I was sick of the wait for games to come out in the UK so I resaerched some modchips; last week I bought a Wiikey (genuine, at least I think so; it came with a hologram, solder, and bundle of green wire).

I've had it installed by a friend of mine who's an engineer, and I had chance to examine it before I close the wii up again; attached via the wires, no bridging present, clean install.

I closed the wii up and first tried my original games (these work fine, so I have at least not LOST anything), then went about burning the wiikey setup disc from the wiikey website to configure it for regionfree. As you'll all have guessed, I had no luck with that.

I then did some searching and found that the setup disc won't work with 3.0 firmware. I did some more searching and found some workarounds. I have tried both RiDisc DVD+R discs burned at 4x speed, and Verbatim DVD-R discs at the same speed for all of the following. I've tried the 1.2b setup disc, I've tried GCOS disks, I've tried some bizarre methods using Hex editors and the use of a selfmade batch file to combine gcos and the setup disc iso together.

I've tried a method where the .rar file supposedly contains a 2 sets of files, one for making disks for wiifree, and one for "Other" chips. When I opened the Rar, there were no files for "Other", just generic filenames. I burned the PAL ones to see if they would work, still no dice. Then I trieda file at kkwarez that purported to work on 3.0E. Nadda. (some of the above methods are in the second post here: http://www.atvgc.com/forum/viewthread.php?...extra=page%3D1)

In all cases I go to the disc channel and the both the Wii and GC discs spin for about 5 seconds before it comes up with a big question mark and a "This disc could not be read) message.

last thing I tried was a PAL Wii game ISO, and this works fine. To me this tells me that my wiikey is both installed correctly and working; perhaps I'm wrong.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? I think this is the right area for these sort of mesages, but feel free to flame me if it's not.

Thanks all,

Mooglepies

shineget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i had the same problem, everything seemed to work fine, but the setup disk didn't boot.

this worked for me:
I had the same problem, but got it solved thanks to this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2j3yjks3xz2

1. Download BOOT Disc: http://www.mediafire.com/?2j3yjks3xz2
2. Also download the Config Disc 1.2 for WiiKey: http://www.wiikey.cn/dl/config.1.2.rar
3. Burn these Discs on a DVD-R/+R with 4x speed and start the BOOT Disc in your Wii, it will recognise as a GC Disc.
4. Once started, pick for the following option -> Boot DVD.
5. When asked eject the disc, and insert the official 1.2 Config Disc.
6. Pick the file: xxxxx.DOL
7. The disc will start, and you can configurate your WiiKey! Put Region Over... on Yes
8. Save settings, and done!
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=59728

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
just create a gcos multidisc iso, where the iso is PAL. That should run, and just use the verbatim -r at 4 or 8x i believe. That should run gcos and give u that menu so u can discswap.

Mooglepies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Shineget: The first link you gave me times out when I request the file to download. I don't suppose you or anyone else has another link for it? Google's not come up with much. The other think is the official boot disc, which I obviously already have.
smile.gif

Manias: I have tried this already: This was what I believe I did when I did that doohickey with the batch file. From what I gather I combined the gcos multi file with the setup disc iso; no such luck when burned. I used bootabledisc PAL.bat to create a PAL iso file, then from there I put that iso in the same folder as multiv3.exe. From there I made a .bat file that was "make-multiv3.exe gcosv3wiikey1.2.iso PAL bootdisc.pal.iso. I then burned this onto DVD at 4x and popped in the drive. Nadda. I took this from a tutorial I found somewhere else. (I can find a link if you like).

Is it wise to assume that the wiikey team are working on a fix for this? From what I gather they are dedicated but rather slow.

Sorry I'm such a pain in the neck/ass guys...

._.

Remy669

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There IS a leaked version of the new update. And it works, but since it's not officially released, i wouldn't use it. But that's completely your decision. And there IS some kind of hot girl as a background, but that's not a bad thing, is it?
happy.gif

Oh yeah, the update is 2 topics beneath this. (at the moment)

Mooglepies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Remy, I was under the impression that the leak was an update to the wiikey itself and not an update of the setup disc; surely to update the wiikey I'd have to first get a setup disc working?

Or do I have it all wrong again?

shineget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Mooglepies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sigh.

Thanks Shineget, that link works, but unfortunately there's still no success. Big questionmark and unable to read disc. No gamecube logo (I've not been able to access even that so far with anything I've tried).

All I'm doing is burning the iso you gave me using IMGBURN onto a RiDisc DVD+R. Is there anything else I'm supposed to do with it? Any settings I need to change, anything? I'm out of verbatim discs by the way.

I think if there are no more suggestions by the end of the week I'll give in gracefull and wait for the official disk.

Thanks all.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
don't use a ridisc dvd+r. use a dvd-r like tdk or verbatim at 4x
or, burn a game into gcos and see if it works then.. maybe the setup/update discs dont work inside gcos. once u get into that boot menu of gcos u can swap discs and press a to boot it.

Mooglepies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
While I'd love to do just that I'm out of DVD-Rs.

I'll have to pick some up over the weekend.

Manias: So far I've not been able to make a GCOS disc work either; this might be due to me doing it wrong, but I can't find a decent step by step tutorial that shows me how.

What bugs me most is that in all other instances of this problem, people manage to reach the point where the wii disc channel recognises discs as gamecube games: with me I don't even get this far. Is it worth opening up the wii again so your esteemed selves can tell me if it's been installed correctly?

I think I'll go do just that.

Mooglepies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to double post.

Hold the presses, it seems that when the thing was soldered (the wire method) one of the solders came lost; the wire is floating around doing nothing.

A small problem I think you'll agree.

I'll get it fixed tomorrow if I can and report then.

Thanks for your help anyway guys ahnd sorry for wasting your time.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
While I'd love to do just that I'm out of DVD-Rs.

I'll have to pick some up over the weekend.

Manias: So far I've not been able to make a GCOS disc work either; this might be due to me doing it wrong, but I can't find a decent step by step tutorial that shows me how.

What bugs me most is that in all other instances of this problem, people manage to reach the point where the wii disc channel recognises discs as gamecube games: with me I don't even get this far. Is it worth opening up the wii again so your esteemed selves can tell me if it's been installed correctly?

I think I'll go do just that.
You're just using ridiculously bad media. If it can recognize a PAL backup for you it's installed correctly. You'e just going to need a decent DVD-R for GC homebrew.

Mooglepies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually I put everything back together after I tried the first PAL iso (when I thought it worked) and so I think the solder must have come loose then; believe me the wire IS loose.

I'll still get some verbatim DVD-Rs to make sure I do this right. Just wondering, what is it that makes Verbatim so good? better reliability, etc? I read a thread in one forum where someone said he had always had good results with wii and GC backups using RiDisc DVD+Rs, which is why I got them in the first place (the fact that they were £9.99 for 50 helped too).

As an update I tried the PAL ISO again: No dice. It looks like I was being a huge idiot. Would you mind adding me to your sig Heran or have I not proved my stupidity enough yet?
smile.gif

It must be said I don't get much luck but hten I never seem to make any luck for myself either...

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the wiikey config disc on wiikey.cn should give you a gamecube logo when inserted into the wii. it wont boot on fw 3.0 though, it will give a black screen with 'please eject' error. this is because of added protection in the latest wii firmware.

the solution is to download a file called config1.3.zip, burn that iso file and it will boot and tell you to insert the wiikey config disc, do so and you can finally change the settings.

so in total you need 2 dvd+r discs. I use arita dvd+r because they are the cheapest option, i finished multiple games on these discs so i know they work fine. also tested them in about 50 wii consoles and the arita dvd+r worked fine in every one of them.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tdk dvd-r's aren't expensive either.. It's not as much a question of being able to finish games as to take stress of yer laser.. so use dvd-r whatever brand you choose i would say

gamez2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
use dvd-r I dont think most consoles like the + media.

Also make sure your wiikey modchip is installed correctly to begin with I think you said there was a loose wire did you get that fixed? and did it work after that? if not try dvd-r's

ka0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same problem, the soldering looks fine, the original games work, setup doesn't load but the Mario Strikers Charged ISO PAL game here didn't work, no ISO games work... I have tried multiple things, none of them worked, any idea? Should I use the recovery disk or something like that? I have the v4 original chip

Could this be a bad chip installation, burned chip, what could it be? I have no idea...

And oh I have 3.0 firmware, the error I get is "could not read disc", PAL Wii

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
either your burning horribly wrong, not using IMGBURN and a -r @ 4x or your chip is badly installed for a pal wii game not to work.

Mooglepies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks all. I gave the wii back to my engineer friend and he'll have the solder done again by saturday.

After that happens, I'll try again and let you all know the results; hopefully happy gaming and a smack on the head for me for being such a stupid head.

Peace,

Moogs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Finally there are people here