Wiikey Review Score Downgraded

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Jun 8, 2007.

Jun 8, 2007

Wiikey Review Score Downgraded by Opium at 3:31 AM (7,730 Views / 0 Likes) 36 replies

1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia

Wiikey Review Score Downgraded

Lack of update and advertised features

[​IMG]

GBAtemp's Official Wiikey Review has had its score downgraded from 9/10 to 8/10 following the extensive firmware update delays.

At the time the review was written it was understood that the Wiikey update would be out shortly to address the GameCube audiofix problem. That update is now months later than advertised with no sign of being released soon. The Wiikey does not perform all of its advertised features as GameCube audiofix is still broken therefore we have downgraded the review.

The Wiikey is still a great chip with an excellent config disc and ISO dumper however the lack of communication and support from the Wiikey team is disheartening for all potential buyers. We hope the Wiikey team get their act together.

[​IMG] GBAtemp Wiikey Review

2. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
  3. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    What's the GameCube audiofix problem?

4. pewpz

Member pewpz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The problem is that is no audiofix, which was advertised. And without it, a lot of people would not have bought it. Essentially, false advertising.

5. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Umm, that doesn't answer his question. A good number of Gamecube games like Ikaruga just plain don't work, even real copies from what I gather.

6. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Quick everyone send this news article to the Wiikey team's email address in an effort to hopefully give them an idea we are tired of waiting for a fix.

7. Xeijin

Member Xeijin GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom

8. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    One more time...

9. Heran Bago

United States
    in on dis

10. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Guys, please take the following into consideration.

That again goes to show there should be better guidelines for these reviews. If you take a look at how game magazines or well-known online websites are doing their reviews, they actually review a product like it is, not like they are promised it will be. Better to have the developer at fault for not supplying you reviewable material resulting in a lower score, than hyping up a product for something it is not.

11. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    When i finished reading the news, I thought this. Thanks for making it so i don't hafta think about finding it and be lazy and not finding it (if that made any sense at all)

BTW i think they reviewed it on what its supposed to have because false advertising is considered a crime (if i remember correctly)

If i were the wiikey team, i would get off my ass and fix that on the website so they don't lose their business due to a lawsuit. (Or something similar, i don't know how the law/justice system works)

But I congratulate them, because alot of reviews get made once, the product gets updated, and the review doesn't get updated as well...

Oh, and the audiofix has something to do with some games that have music that is streamed from the disc in realtime, vs having the soundtrack in RAM. (or something else to the same extent)

12. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    In GBAtemp's defense, at the time of their initial review the WiiKey team was very vocal and communicative with potential buyers and customers, with frequent website updates and answered questions.

After the product was on the market for about a month all that support stopped. Website updates (even just to say "we're still alive and here are our problems") are practically nonexistent, and those that do come are vague and not helpful to potential buyers and customers.

I think the issue is that GBAtemp reviewed not just the product itself, but also the support team and bundled that into one score. So if you think about it they updated the support team part of the score to reflect recent developments, thereby decreasing the overall score of the product. If they are making purely a score of the product as it stands at the time of review, I would agree with you, but so much of this community is based on support of the product teams for when things change, so I think they're right to rate not only the product, but the company behind the product when writing their reviews.

13. Opium
    OP

Australia
    Yes exactly. Support is part of a healthy review. It lets you know if you're spending your money wisely. Consider at the time of review all the updates with the config disc and the release of their own disc dumper. Support was very good, much higher than other modchips. That was factored into the review.

Things have changed since then so I felt the need to alter the score to better reflect the product and current support. Hopefully this shows that GBAtemp is doing the responsible thing for prospective buyers.

14. Da Foxx

Member Da Foxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Can you actually do this? Never ever seen reviews scores downgraded. O.o

And oh yeah!
    [​IMG]

15. Opium
    OP

Australia
    What are you 'ha-ha'ing about? The people who bought the wiikey and are left without an update, or the Wiikey team for getting away with it?

At least we're trying to put some pressure on them

16. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    i dont have a wii or a wiikey so ....

[​IMG]

17. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    That's just what I was thinking! Loving the retrospective downgrade though... I wonder if I could apply it to all sorts of things from my past?! [​IMG]

18. imyourxpan

Member imyourxpan GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i'm happy that gbatemp cares, they are actually giving the people a score that will in the end help them decide if they should buy it or not.

thank you gbatemp [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Da Foxx

Member Da Foxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    For both statements actually and at the WiiKey team for having there review score drop. And the fact that my Wii has a WiiKey installed.

Funny if we see the update the next day wouldn't you agree? I have feeling will see it next month.

20. Heran Bago

United States
    I was about to make pretty much his exact same post. [​IMG]
    The situation's a little funny over-all, even if you have one.sss