Hacking WiiKey Installation

Alastair

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've had my modded Wii for about 6 months and sometimes and it wouldn't detect burnt games (originals work perfectly) but once they did detect they'd run flawlessly. Now it hasn't detected a burnt game in two weeks. I opened it up to have a look and see if there was a loose wire and was surprised. I did not mod the Wii myself and the modder appears to be out of business so I'm sort of stuck!
It appears to be a WiiKey and it is not soldered directly to the PCB but it appears that a chunk has been taken out of a black chip and the wires have been soldered into the cavity.
wacko.gif

1. Is that a normal installation method?
2. Does anyone know any modders in San Francisco or somewhere reasonably close that could attempt a repair?

Thanks.
smile.gif

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yep thats a normal install. he should have rebuilt the legs if you paid him but whatever. it may just be your laser. you could try tweaking the pot before actually paying someone to fix something you may be able to do yourself.

Alastair

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Turns out that the person that I e-mailed off of craig's list is the guy that did the install originally! I thought he was out of business - maybe just a new e-mail address. Some vietnamese guy. He's done my friends and me well many times but I have the devil's own job contacting and arranging appointments with him.

yep thats a normal install. he should have rebuilt the legs if you paid him but whatever. it may just be your laser. you could try tweaking the pot before actually paying someone to fix something you may be able to do yourself.
Thanks. He may well have re-built them but I didn't really knwow hat I was looking at other than a damaged chip that scared me.
tongue.gif

The POT: on the Wii is it a simple screw-turn? I don't have a potentiometer so I'd be doing it in the dark.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmm i'm having trouble finding the pot tweak tutorial for the wii. plus i hav a crazy headache so im not trying too hard haha. maybe that guy will give it a quick lookover for you since he did the install.

Alastair

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"I am now charging 100 for the install., on Wiikey

Very likely the chip went dead or something on yours., I can replace it for 30 bucks., if its defective" he says.

Edit: Now it's worse.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up...