Hacking wiikey fitting tutorial

chavo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it just me but is the wiikey tutorial supplied by the website absolutely turd? I have just bought one and short of a few videos on you tube that are very blury, there is no guide!

I am a beginner to soldering and i dont even know what quick solder is. I have had a little practice soldering and all seems good, i think i can do this........ but no tutorial.

am i wrong? can some one show me a great tut?

by the way i am new here and i like this forum. it seems to be the best one i can find that has a dedicated section to the wii.

MaK10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you dont really need a tutorial... all you need to know is where to solder the chip... only thing you may need a tutorial for is opening the Wii itself..

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't want to come off rude but you're just screaming "i'm a noob, i shouldn't be doing this" by almost everything you said, pay a professional don't risk your wii unless you've got money to blow
wink.gif

as far as quicksoldering goes, basically its just you place the wiikey on the dvd drive's pcb inside the wii, and solder directly from the chip to the drive itself right there ontop of it. no wires are involved w/ this method. slightly harder to remove if for whatever reason in the future you want to get rid of it, but still a viable method.

personal feelings would be to use wires (i did), its more of the future safe method where like i said before if you want to get rid of the wiikey you can just snip the wires off and bam its not on anymore.

i'm not sure why you'd need a tutorial on how to solder the wiikey, theres a picture on the wiikey site with #'s illustrating where each solder point connects to and everything. unless you're talking about a dissassembling of the wii tutorial, if that's the case there is a sticky thread up top w/ great information

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My suggestions;

- Add wires to the small points first. Easier than adding them later, trust me.
- Place the wiikey on the drive pcb as shown in the wiikey diagram.
- Attach it with some tape once you have it in the right place. It's pretty hard to not more in while you're solder and you really really don't want that.
- Mount wiikey by filling the two big holes with solder. Heat the solder in the holes to make sure it drops and fuses with the pads below.
- Solder wires down to wiikey points then fold them down.

The quick solder installs I've seen look like a mess to be totally honest. This way it's easier to do, easier to get off and looks a shite load better.

chavo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
to be honest yes i am a noob, i will only ever do it the once, as i did to my psp and my 360. and i will probably never do it again. I am a bit miffed as i have to be honest i dont have a clue!!!! but i will figure it out.
gulp.... might knock up a tut with pic while i am at it. the quick solder method, is that simply to hold it in place?

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mate save your self the worry.

A guy on the www.cheapmod.net forums is modding wii's with wiikeys for £55 inc. return by special delivery and is recommended by the owner of Cheapmod Glen, his username is WillieWonka, I sent a support ticket asking just to make sure he is legit as well and had it confirmed.

It's an extra £25 to buying the wiikey but you don't have to buy soldering equipment or risk breaking your wii if you're a beginner.

Also the solder points are tiny, i think the wiikey is about the same size as a 10p coin if I remember correctly.

chavo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks mate, i have bought the wiikey allready i will register there and make enquiries..
quick question....

you know those solder conductive pens... would you be able to use one of those?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0