Hardware WiiKey Config Discs don't work? Please help :-(

mekaone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have v1.3 and 1.2. padded both and tried to burn at 4x and 1x.
I installed it witha Wlip and soldered it to the WiiKey.
I checked all the joints to see if the are making contact. They are.
I use ImgBurn to burn and Filechop to pad the filr to 1.35GBs and
I also tried 4GB too.
I get a message:

An error has occurred.
Press the eject button, remove the
Game Disc, and turn the power off.
Please read the Wii operations manual
for more information.

Does anyone know what I should do?
I have another WiiKey. Should I take it
apart again and try to use the other WiiKey?

The update to the WiiKey went good but I just can't get the config discs
to work!
wacko.gif

Kuronekokun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What version is your Wii System's firmware?

I'm not the most knowledgeable person concerning these things, but maybe this will help:

---

( source: http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiikey/61302-w...unofficial.html )

Q. I’ve heard that the discs from www.wiikey.cn won’t be recognized by my Wii. Is this true?
A. Sort of. When Nintendo released version 3.0 of the Wii’s firmware – they included a little section that rejects certain GameCube discs (the WiiKey discs are in GameCube format). If your firmware is less than version 3.0 – then you can use the www.wiikey.cn discs.

Q. How do I know what version of Wii firmware I have?
A. Start up your Wii and go in to the Wii settings menu. Now, in the top right of the screen is your Wii’s firmware version (ending in a ‘E’, ‘U’ or a ‘J’ depending on which region your Wii is from).

Q. I seem to have v3.0 (or v3.1) – can I still use the config disc from www.wiikey.cn?
A. No – for reasons mentioned above. Don’t panic though – help is at hand. Currently, there are 2 main methods for getting the config disc to work. One is to use GCOS (which requires access to a GameCube controller) and the other is to use a Hex’d version (which involves burning 2 DVD’s).

Q. What is GCOS and Hex’d?
A. GCOS (GameCube Operating System) is a program written by emu-kidd to enable users to create multi-game discs (amongst other things). GCOS discs are still recognised by the Wii firmware (ie. they didn’t get blocked by firmware 3.0) – but you will need a GameCube controller to use them. Hex’d discs are discs that have had the DVD header changed to fool the Wii in to thinking it is a normal GameCube disc. Trouble is, the Hex’d disc won’t load on it’s own – it stops and asks you for the original config disc – this is why you need 2 DVD’s – one Hex’d one and one ‘untouched’ one.

Q. I have a GameCube controller. Where is this GCOS disc then?
A. You can download a GCOS v1.3 config disc from http://psx-scene.com/forums/433064-post1.html - complete with instructions.

Q. I don’t have a GameCube controller. Where is the Hex’d disc (with instructions)?
A. A full set of instructions are available from http://psx-scene.com/forums/432677-post98.html - thanks to ‘vapochill’. I haven’t tried this method – so I can’t comment any further I’m afraid.

---

I've also heard that you can put in a legit gamecube game, start it, and while it's loading / switching, quickly eject the game and throw in the update / config disc.

No guarantees, but wish you luck
wink.gif

stevodotorg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What version is your Wii System's firmware?

I'm not the most knowledgeable person concerning these things, but maybe this will help:

---

( source: http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiikey/61302-w...unofficial.html )

Q. I’ve heard that the discs from www.wiikey.cn won’t be recognized by my Wii. Is this true?
A. Sort of. When Nintendo released version 3.0 of the Wii’s firmware – they included a little section that rejects certain GameCube discs (the WiiKey discs are in GameCube format). If your firmware is less than version 3.0 – then you can use the www.wiikey.cn discs.

Q. How do I know what version of Wii firmware I have?
A. Start up your Wii and go in to the Wii settings menu. Now, in the top right of the screen is your Wii’s firmware version (ending in a ‘E’, ‘U’ or a ‘J’ depending on which region your Wii is from).

Q. I seem to have v3.0 (or v3.1) – can I still use the config disc from www.wiikey.cn?
A. No – for reasons mentioned above. Don’t panic though – help is at hand. Currently, there are 2 main methods for getting the config disc to work. One is to use GCOS (which requires access to a GameCube controller) and the other is to use a Hex’d version (which involves burning 2 DVD’s).

Q. What is GCOS and Hex’d?
A. GCOS (GameCube Operating System) is a program written by emu-kidd to enable users to create multi-game discs (amongst other things). GCOS discs are still recognised by the Wii firmware (ie. they didn’t get blocked by firmware 3.0) – but you will need a GameCube controller to use them. Hex’d discs are discs that have had the DVD header changed to fool the Wii in to thinking it is a normal GameCube disc. Trouble is, the Hex’d disc won’t load on it’s own – it stops and asks you for the original config disc – this is why you need 2 DVD’s – one Hex’d one and one ‘untouched’ one.

Q. I have a GameCube controller. Where is this GCOS disc then?
A. You can download a GCOS v1.3 config disc from http://psx-scene.com/forums/433064-post1.html - complete with instructions.

Q. I don’t have a GameCube controller. Where is the Hex’d disc (with instructions)?
A. A full set of instructions are available from http://psx-scene.com/forums/432677-post98.html - thanks to ‘vapochill’. I haven’t tried this method – so I can’t comment any further I’m afraid.

---

I've also heard that you can put in a legit gamecube game, start it, and while it's loading / switching, quickly eject the game and throw in the update / config disc.

No guarantees, but wish you luckÂ
wink.gif
I had the exact same problem a few months ago, after resoldering my chip 3 times I finally came across a post after much searching about the problem and followed the instructions. I can confirm that the hexed config disc, ISO, indeed does work, just do your reading and follow instructions. It's a bummer there isn't a whole lot of info on the net about this problem some people are having, mainly because most everyone with a wiikey put theirs in a long time ago before the nintendo 3.0 firmware update. break a leg
smile.gif

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Download the hacked version of the 1.3Config disk.
Then put in the normal 1.3 Config disk after it says insert WiiKey base disk.
Then press start.
Make sure to have 1.9b or 1.9g before you begin.
Worked for me
smile.gif

Then just remember to turn on Region free
wink.gif

If you have good DVD+RW use them as i dont think you never would need them.
Ill find the disks for you later today.

mekaone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To all thanks
bow.gif

superrob
Everything worked as stated.
You are GOD!
Thanks for the help.
I have the Wiikey and I installed it with the Wlip.
The Wlip went in so nice and easy. I tried the wire install and lost two pads so the Wlip was
my savior.
In the morning I want to try the dump feature and see how that goes.
Later.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
To all thanksÂ
bow.gif

superrob
Everything worked as stated.
You are GOD!
Thanks for the help.
I have the Wiikey and I installed it with the Wlip.
The Wlip went in so nice and easy. I tried the wire install and lost two pads so the Wlip was
my savior.
In the morning I want to try the dump feature and see how that goes.
Later.
Thanks
smile.gif

Try to put in the normal 1.3 Config disk after if it boots correctly the settings is succesfull setup.

mekaone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after I change the region to ON then I should be able to use the v1.3 disc woth out using the hacked version of the v1.3 first? I have to try that when I get home. Thanks.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Found the hacked Config Disc and used it to set region override on. Now everything including the un-hacked Config Disc 1.3 works.

Thanks for the hints
smile.gif

mekaone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same with me :-)

Everything now works even some of the discs that were not readable before now come up as Game Cube discs.
Very nice.
Now I can try some of the homebrews that I have been wanting to try for a very long time among other stuff too.
Once again thanks all
bow.gif

mekaone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have seen a post where it told me that if the hacked disk didn't work to try to use the restore disc. Don't know if that works but worth a try if you need to do so. Other than that I don't know. The hacked disc worked for me. The Hex way may also work too but I have not tried that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.