Hacking Wiikey and Verbatim

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have some problems with Verbatim DVD-R discs on my Wiikey'd Wii (let's call it Wii-A) and my brother's Wiikey'd Wii (Wii-B). Before I used Verbatims, I burned a lot of Wii- and GC games on TDK -R discs and all work flawlessly.

Now here are my experiences with Verbatim, which I find strange in some cases:

1. I have burned two Sonic Rings, one on a TDK and one on a Verbatim, both burned 4x with ImgBurn. The one on Verbatim has a second of skipping music in the level select menu on Wii-A, but it works perfectly on Wii-B. The one on the TDK -R works perfectly on both.

2. I made a multigame Iso using the selfboot GCOS of four GC games. To test it, I burned it on my Verbatim DVD+RW on 4x with ImgBurn. Worked flawessly on my Wii-A. Then I burned the same Iso to a Verbatim -R on 4x with ImgBurn and got problems: One of the GC games (Mario Golf PAL) ran in slow motion. Everything is slowed down, from menus till actual gameplay. I took the same disk to my brother and worked perfectly on his Wii-B. When I burned the same Iso to a Verbatim -R, but this time on 8x, it works on my Wii-A too.

3. Wario Ware burned on Verbatim -R 4x: It works flawlessly on my Wii-A, but on Wii-B sometimes the disc is not recognized. I then burned it with 8x, but got the same result.

All discs were burned using the LG-H42N, which is according to test results one of the best burners out there.

So can anyone explain this behaviour? I have like 40 Verbatim -R discs lying here, but as far as I see they are making a lot of problems, where the TDKs work perfectly.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
could be a couple factors here, couple be a batch of inconsistent DVDRs, different drive models between the wiis liking different media....I really doubt the burner has much to do with it....some employ better writing strategies than others but all the modern dvd writers employ pretty good writing strategies....or you could flash it with another.

MaK10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im having problems with verbatim dvd+r's at the moment... fujifilm +r works perfectly fine, but the verbatim's only work some of the time.. ill prolly just run and grab a small spindle of fujifilms since it books everytime...

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
could be a couple factors here, couple be a batch of inconsistent DVDRs, different drive models between the wiis liking different media....I really doubt the burner has much to do with it....some employ better writing strategies than others but all the modern dvd writers employ pretty good writing strategies....or you could flash it with another.

What should be the ID of the discs to know that they are good ones? This is what ImgBurn says about the disc:
Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20
Disc ID: 0@P-!-00

Can you compare it to your discs? My discs are from a 50 disc spindle, so maybe they are of no good quality?

joedodgy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
those MCC discs (mitsubishi chemical corp) are probably one of the better taiwanese discs you can get. you need to match your burner and your discs tho.. just because these discs work well in a pioneer, doesnt mean your LG is going to burn them well. either that, or you're trying to burn them faster than your hdd can shovel the bits across at, whatever speed that may be.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Spacejump, I am using MCC 03RG20 verbatims as well, and if you saw my mini-review, I am experiencing basically 0 problems with these on the wii with the wiikey. And I've burned through a spindle already.

Soybomb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have nero use the cd-dvd speed tool to go into the quality tab, set the read speed to something like 4x, and do a scan of the questionable verbatim media (hell TDK too if you want and post the results here or google a little and see if its burning well or not.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you have nero use the cd-dvd speed tool to go into the quality tab, set the read speed to something like 4x, and do a scan of the questionable verbatim media (hell TDK too if you want and post the results here or google a little and see if its burning well or not.

I started the cd-dvd speed tool in Nero, went to the quality tab, but for some reason I can't hit start because it's greyed out. The same happens if I use DVDInfoPro. Any suggestions?

frendly5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I burned about 25 coasters with Sonic brand dvd-r(cheap dvds). Then I got ritek and they worked without any DREs. Then I upgraded my firmware for my nec 3550 and 3520 dvd burners and low and behold the sonic work without any DREs.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
use a good media for your games, i bought some "Retail Plus+" dvd media thinking they wont be that bad, but they suck bad, on ps2 backups the fmv skips, and game music also, and if i backup my movies they skip, and pause whenever. also recently tried Memorex their not too bad but it isnt the best, some dre rarely. ever since i buy my dvd for movie and game backup seperately.

i think the best ones i've tried for games are
Ritek (G05)
Taiyo yuden (TYG02)
OPTODISCO

also i use a pioneer burner
i get about 98%-99.6% quality with dvdinfo

but when i use my NEC burner i tend to get around 96%-98% quality

anyhow i'm not sure how accurate the readings are but try DvdInfo and do a PIPO scan if your unsure about your burns

*Edit*
just checked my RetailPlus+ and their MFC ID is MCC 004
and Memorex was CMC MAG. AM3

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, I want to test the quality of the discs, but the start button is grey (can't be pushed) in both Nero and DVDInfoPro in the quality tab. All other tests would work, just not the quality test. Any idea why?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, then play it