Hacking Wiikey 1.9g long term issues?

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

Visiting some other forums I see more and more topics of people having problmens with their Wiikey which stops reading backups after 1.9g fw install.
Not directly but after a undefined time of playing....One day they are still playing backups, next day only originals work.
Also setup-disc, recover-disc on all kinds of media.....no go!

The working solution seems to replace the Wiikey with a new one. I also read that someone "externally" reflashed the non working wiikey and also solved it.

So the good news is that the WII itself seems not to be broken.
But what could be the cause of the Wiikey stopping to work. Is it flashed on the fly by some invisble update? The chip IS updateble. Some memoryleak/issue on the chip overwriting itself?

Wiikey.cn seems to be dead so it is up to some clever guys (or girls) to solve this. I am not clever enough :-)

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

Visiting some other forums I see more and more topics of people having problmens with their Wiikey which stops reading backups after 1.9g fw install.
Not directly but after a undefined time of playing....One day they are still playing backups, next day only originals work.

The working solution seems to replace the Wiikey with a new one. I also read that someone "externally" reflashed the non working wiikey and also solved it.

But what could be the cause of the Wiikey stopping to work. Is it flashed on the fly by some invisble update? The chip IS updateble. Some memoryleak/issue on the chip overwriting itself?

Wiikey.cn seems to be dead so it is up to some clever guys (or girls) to solve this. I am not clever enough :-)

I installed the 1.9g update a while back and have had no issues at all. Perhaps it is to do with whether the Wiikey is legit or not. Mine is and no issues here.

~Fitzy~

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i updated my cloned wiikey with 1.9b and 1.9g without problems.

Hi,

NBA Mj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just don't know whether I have a clone one or a legit one and even
if I have the legit one, I think some people still have problems.

nBrew

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It seems my backups are still working but my drive is making a lot of noise all of a sudden and some DRE's seem to occur... anyone else got the same? Its kinda scary
ohmy.gif

Update: it may not be the Wiikey at all since Wii sports (original) also is not working, is my drive or laser broken or can it easily be fixed?

BTW, i am also using the 1.9g firmware

hawk36

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i updatede my wii to 19g and as a lot of others my wii began to make noise .and then i put the speed down too 3x instead of 6x and it did the trick no more noise and no more fail to read

padawan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Niger
the wiikey setup disc has an option for setting the drive speed to 3x or 6x.
I've had 1.9g for some time now. Backups i dunno, but regionfree gc is still working!

::edit::
my SMG is genuine though, that might be important ?

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Do you guys updated all the firmwares untill 1.9g or you can just jump to 1.9g from first firmware?

and which firmwares are there for Wiikey

roboz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some people say that backups don't work because the wiikey becomes even more picky when you update but I don't know. The only firmwares are 1.9b(currently using cause not a big mario fan) and 1.9g.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Maybe they are not aware of that by using 1.9g, you have to get new config disc and turn on region overloading, maybe thats their problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: