Hacking Wiikey 1 + 4.2 update?

Rajahten

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright. So from what I've read so far, updating to 4.2 while you're using a wiikey 1 (legacy) will brick my wii?

It is likely that Metroid Other M (original) will ask me to update when I go out and buy it, but, should I update? What will happen?

Thanks for any input. I am confused =P

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
A few topics down there is nearly the same question...-.-'

No, it won't brick you. But after it only your "Backups" from the region of your Wii will work. You'll have to use a Loader (like GeckoOS) instead of the Disc Channel for games which aren't from your region, or patch the menu with Startpatch or Priiloader.

If you only use a ModChip, it won't do more than this. If you have a Homebrewchannel, cIOSes, etc., they are likely to get deleted/overwritten, but you can reinstall them.

Decide for yourself if you want to update.

Rajahten

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ty sir. Sorry if I posted something that's been posted before. I searched a bit and didn't see any answers that relate to my problem =)

Would you mind directing me to a link of a good guide on how to do one of those 2 things you mentioned? Preferably one that will less likely brick me!

Also, originals will work after I update, right? Stupid question but I want to be sure.

Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rajahten said:
Ty sir. Sorry if I posted something that's been posted before. I searched a bit and didn't see any answers that relate to my problem =)

Would you mind directing me to a link of a good guide on how to do one of those 2 things you mentioned? Preferably one that will less likely brick me!

Also, originals will work after I update, right? Stupid question but I want to be sure.

The retail games will continue to work.

You can find the instructions for patching the system menu and/or using GeckoOS on this site: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/

You could also update to 4.1 manually and experience none of the problems with 4.2.

Rajahten

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have 4.1 right now I believe. But what I'm saying is when I Get new games, they will ask me to update. Metroid will undoubtedly ask me to update to 4.2 when it comes out.

electrico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Rajahten said:
Alright. So from what I've read so far, updating to 4.2 while you're using a wiikey 1 (legacy) will brick my wii?

It is likely that Metroid Other M (original) will ask me to update when I go out and buy it, but, should I update? What will happen?

Thanks for any input. I am confused =P

No problem at all if you update,you can play downloaded isos and originals without a problem.The only problem that causes the update is that you will no more be able to play other region games.If you have Ntsc you won't be able to play Pal games, even if you regiofrii and brickblock your other region iso.You can only play other region games via softmod,homebrew.And that's happening because Nintendo have changed something in the region codes of the games in 4.2 update,don't know what exactly.
unsure.gif

hiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question so i have wiikey v1 at 1.9s and 4.2u on ntsc
can this or will this play a backup of super mario galaxy 2 when it releases ?
because when i bought nsmb because of the protection i could not make a successful homemade backup unless i was to add a form of

any one have ideas about my setup and sgm2 ?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hiver said:
I have a question so i have wiikey v1 at 1.9s and 4.2u on ntsc
can this or will this play a backup of super mario galaxy 2 when it releases ?
because when i bought nsmb because of the protection i could not make a successful homemade backup unless i was to add a form of

any one have ideas about my setup and sgm2 ?
SMG2 is already leaked, an ANYTHING will play it as it has no AP

Ignatius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't updated my wii since the first mario galaxy came out.

From what I've gathered so far. If i simply update the firmware of my wiikey to 1.9s and update the wii to the latest firmware from the console itself (no special homebrew stuff needed). Everything will work fine right and I can play Super mario galaxy 2 without a hitch? I understand I can only play the games in the region i'm in so that's not a big deal.

I just want to double-check with you guys so i don't end up bricking or screwing up my wii from a simple stupid mistake.

regards.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Ignatius said:
I haven't updated my wii since the first mario galaxy came out.

From what I've gathered so far. If i simply update the firmware of my wiikey to 1.9s and update the wii to the latest firmware from the console itself (no special homebrew stuff needed). Everything will work fine right and I can play Super mario galaxy 2 without a hitch? I understand I can only play the games in the region i'm in so that's not a big deal.

I just want to double-check with you guys so i don't end up bricking or screwing up my wii from a simple stupid mistake.

regards.

You will probably need to use gecko OS for newer games like NSMBWii etc. and anything with AP newer than galaxy 1's.

Ignatius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the quick reply carnivean.

I can actually play NSMB just fine with my current firmware (not sure which firmware i have exactly, dont have the wii here)

Does this mean I can probably play galaxy 2?

hiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can play the original nsmb on disc on wiikey v1
but not a backup unless it is softmodded by gecko or some crap
so i own no backup of nsmb
but all other games ntsc or same region all still work at 4.2u and 1.9s firmware
haven't came across one other game unplayable yet

Ignatius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Whoops made a major mistake, i read nsmb as New Super Smash Brothers Brawl some how, don't ask me how that happened. lol

So, the steps to playing Galaxy 2 will be :

1. Update wiikey (v1) firmware to 1.9s
2. Update wii from console to 4.2U
3. Install Gecko OS

Done?

By the way, is there a really helpful place that explains how to install Gecko OS?

Ignatius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I actually read that some people are successfully able to play Galaxy 2 with no softmodding like Gecko OS.

Just having your wiikey updated to 1.9s and 4.2u should work. I'll know for sure in a few hours myself.

If any others have tried out galaxy 2 on your wiikey (v1) already, let us know how it worked out for you.

Best.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to have WiiKey 1 (i have WiiKey 2 now). I believe SMG2 will play just fine without any softmodding. As for the statement saying that NSMB wouldn't play without a softmod, that's not true. NSMB could play, just with a trucha patched IOS 53 & System IOS (3.2-3.4 = IOS30, 4.0/4.1= IOS60, 4.2=IOS70). I don't remember if the game's main.dol had to be patched in order for it to work but I still have that patched main.dol on my computer so I guess it did. NSMB played straight out of the Disc Channel, no backup loader.

Ignatius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alrighty, for anyone who has a wiikey (v1). All you gotta do to play galaxy 2 is update the wiikey to 1.9s and update the wii to 4.2U and the game will work like a charm.

I'm at 30 stars already, amazing game.

Rajahten

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ignatius said:
Alrighty, for anyone who has a wiikey (v1). All you gotta do to play galaxy 2 is update the wiikey to 1.9s and update the wii to 4.2U and the game will work like a charm.

I'm at 30 stars already, amazing game.

Nice! Did you update to 4.2 via wi-fi, or from the SMG2 disc?

Hartmann

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys, I've just joined as this seems to be the only site I can understand the advice from...
I'm trying to find out how i can play my store bought copy of Metroid Other M on my Wiikey 1 modded system.
Currently I get a disk error every time.

I have not yet updated to the Wiikey 1.9. I did do the latest menu update from Nintendo though.

What can I do next to get it to work??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need the $900 copper coated ones, they are good for 10 times cooking before they are un cleanable
    Condoms are only meant to be used once Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well damn that explains how you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I tried Cavier for the first time today. That shit is nasty. Don't get why people like it.
    Eh it's good with Vodka and crackers
    Gotta have the whole experience
    Drink enough vodka so you can barely taste it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on brand rich rich people spend like 500 a tin
    What I'm putting down is you gotta be trashed first lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like if psi fucked the fish the quality of the eggs will probably come out abnormal
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We had it spread on crackers, n I had Rum/Coke today. I like all fish and seafoods, but not that.
    Lol sorry Ken it was either the fish or your mom.... I picked the fish lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol sorry Ken it was either the fish or your mom.... I picked the fish lol