Hacking Wiiflow works, USB Loader GX does not

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Wiiflow works on my 4.3J Wii -- it reads and loads most (but not all) back ups just fine from my 1TB USB HDD. USB Loader GX seems to recognize that the HDD is there, but lists 0 back ups. I have them all in a folder called wbfs, all lower case. I have tried WBFS in upper case as well with no luck.

Also I have SNES GX and VBA GX installed. Both read fine from a USB stick but refuse to recognize any of several USB HDDs I have.

Any suggestions? I can live without SNES and VBA, but I'd like to get USB Loader GX working to try the couple of back ups that aren't loading properly from Wiiflow.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There are different file and folder naming convention.
USBLoaderGX is not compatible with one of them (I don't remember which one, I think /wbfs/GameID.wbfs)

You should place your games in subfolders. You can do it automatically with WiibackupManager.
Go to the program settings > FAT32 NTFS tab > Select to put games in subfolders and "naming convention" to "Title_[ID]".
Enable the option at the bottom "automatically update naming convention on partition mounting".

Save the settings, then go to Drive1 tab, select the partition where you have your games and all the games will be renamed in a second.
Now USBLoaderGX should see your games.

I should really add the missing naming convention that other loaders are working with.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Great thanks! That did the trick!

However, after this renaming with Backup Manager, now several back ups that used to load in Wiiflow now no longer will, they just crash the system.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
crash?
that's strange, it's only a folder renaming, it didn't touch the file's content.

I think wiiflow has a "Refresh cache" option. Maybe it could help (if it has old path in that cache for example).
I really don't know how Wiiflow is working, so it's only a supposition.
Maybe someone else could help with wiiflow issues.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Once again you are right! Thank you again!!

There are still a number of back ups that will not load in either USB Loader GX or Wiiflow. Most back ups I have do work just fine, but several do not. Does USB Loader GX load both wbfs and ISO files? Is one format preferable? Should I convert one way or another?

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I should say almost all of the back ups that do not load, and that crash the system, do have a preview screen (basically the start up screen in the game itself) in both USB Loader GX and Wiiflow, so it's reading something.

edit:
I went through and checked file types -- there doesn't seem to be any pattern. Some ISOs work fine, some don't. Some wbfs files work fine, some don't.

I tried out a different loader app called Configurable USB Loader, and a number of the back ups work that don't load in USB Loader GX or Wiiflow:

Do load with CFG, do not load with USB Loader GX or Wiiflow:

Boom Blox Party
Just Dance 2014
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Pikmin 2
Rabbids Go Home
Rayman Origins
Sesame Street Cookie Counting, Ready Set Grover
Wii Party

Do not load with any of the three loaders:

A Boy and his Blob
Go Vacation
Kirby Return to Dreamland (white screen after turn Wiimote sideways screen)
Okami
Mario Party 9 (get REGION ERROR, only back up that does this, tried different source files, both wbfs and ISO)

Even those that don't work on any loader give me a preview screen. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the preview screen is extracted from the ISO and stored on your SD or USB (in the cache banner folder).
Maybe the non working games are fine to extract the banner, but has other corrupted files, so maybe the boot file is bad, or any of the file to be loaded at launch (video, sound, etc.)

The games you reported doesn't have an Anti-Piracy protection, except for Kirby. disable all patches for that game (no return to, no Ocarina, no Video change, etc.)

it's strange that CFGLoader is working while GX/Flow don't.
I don't know what to suggest except to verify the settings.
If you can, try the HDD on another Wii, or redump the games.

You can check the game's file integrity with WiiBackupManager (select the game, and option>Sha1)

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I checked the integrity on all of those files in Backup Manager, and everything checked out.

I also have all patches disabled by default, so that doesn't explain the Kirby problem. When I force English and NTSC I get at least as far as the title screen, but still just white screen.

Any other ideas? Most of my games work fine, it's just those few.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs