Hacking WiiFlow Lite

Deleted member 547976

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a problem, so I updated the Wiiflow Plugins Pack V8 so far as I chose the plugin and normally I could choose Nand Real now I looked at all available plugins in wiiflow and I do not have Nand real ?? How do I get it back to make the Real nand plugin available again

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fledge68

I've been using 5.5.3 this past couple days testing plugins. Usually when a new beta or official release of WFL is released I back up all files and did so in this instance. I also keep my prior wiiflow_lite.ini file if I can and it usually works without issues, and did so this release.

I had no ssues until playing Cave Story and Rick Dangerous RetroArch plugins. Both freeze or black screen after booting always after multiple tests. If there is a game.cfg file already made from beta release, both boot and play fine. However if there is no game.cfg, this is where the issue exist.

I thought maybe it was RetroArch updated plugin addition issues and it very well may be since Cannonball update has no problem as well as at least 5-6 other RA cores I tested.

After deleting my beta wiiflow_lite.ini file and starting fresh the issue does not exist with those 2 plugins or any others I tested. I just wanted to post this in case anyone else is having similar issues. I'll post this on the Plugins thread so others know what might be causing boot issues.

Thank you for your work.

Last edited by RunningSnakes,

ukigh4ie

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After deleting my beta wiiflow_lite.ini file and starting fresh the issue does not exist with those 2 plugins or any others I tested. I just wanted to post this in case anyone else is having similar issues. I'll post this on the Plugins thread so others know what might be causing boot issues.
Deleting the ini file is an act of desperation. It would be better to know which setting is causing the problems.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fledge68

I've been using 5.5.3 this past couple days testing plugins. Usually when a new beta or official release of WFL is released I back up all files and did so in this instance. I also keep my prior wiiflow_lite.ini file if I can and it usually works without issues, and did so this release.

I had no ssues until playing Cave Story and Rick Dangerous RetroArch plugins. Both freeze or black screen after booting always after multiple tests. If there is a game.cfg file already made from beta release, both boot and play fine. However if there is no game.cfg, this is where the issue exist.

I thought maybe it was RetroArch updated plugin addition issues and it very well may be since Cannonball update has no problem as well as at least 5-6 other RA cores I tested.

Thank you for your work.
It would have been nice to been able to compare the old one with the new one to maybe figure what line or lines caused the issue. but thats ok. glad you got it to work.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just upgraded from 5.4.something to 5.5.3 and nearly everything looks good.

But I have one foible. This version doesn't seem to apply a particular setting on boot: GUI sound volume = 0. The ini settings file is properly created and saved, and the Wiiflow settings menu even shows this value at 0. But it doesn't apply this setting and silence the Wiiflow GUI sound effects until I go to the settings page and toggle it, on every boot.

At first I thought this was because I was trying to use my old version's settings ini, but the behavior continued after I deleted it and let 5.5.3 make a new one.

Last edited by Exidous,

Oo_Ice_Deep_oO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This one might be for Fledge68 (As always thank you for all your work for us). If in reading this, there is a manual or prior post or you just want to push me to read the code for myself you can do that.

For newbies that are reading this post "NAND" is the Wii in system memory which is small. This post is about understanding "NAND Emulation Settings" in WiiFlow once you get it working.

I have scoured the net trying to understand every setting in WiiFlow for the below. If you could fill in the blanks I would appreciate it.
It seems like the NAND contains 7 pieces of info:
1) System and Controller Settings
2) Miis
3) System Channels
4) Wii Ware Titles
5) Virutal Console Titles
6) DLC Storage
7) Game Saves
-------------------------------------
Here are the settings in WiiFlow and the remaining questions I have about them:

1) Select NAND - This is straight forward, the options are the names of the folder in the NANDS folder (either on the USB or SD depending on another setting).

2) NAND Emulation - Options here are (Partial|Full). I have a couple questions, why is there no "Off" and how do you turn NAND emulation off? Another question is with the "Partial" setting, which of the 7 above is it emulating and why would you want to do that?

3) Select Saves NAND - I am assuming that you could actually use two seperate NANDs one for Saves and one for everything else, but if that is not what this setting is for, I am stumped.

4) Saves NAND Emulation - Options here are (Off|Game Save|Full). A couple questions here also, if you turn this "Off" but the "NAND Emulation" is "Full" does that mean anything? Also what is the difference between "Game Save" and "Full" on this one?

5) Saves NAND Partition - Again I am assuming you can use a separate NAND just for Game Saves, so this location would be different the one for everything else.

6) Use Real NAND Config - When this question says "Real NAND Config" is that only System and Controller Settings?

7) Use Real NAND Miis - I am assuming if you are doing "FULL" Nand Emulation that this would create an exception for Miis... what is the advantage of this?

8) Channels Type - Options are (Emu NAND|Real NAND|Both). Is this the real on off switch for NAND Emulation for pieces 3-6 listed above. Meaning all channels and that is why Config, Miis and Saves have separate controls.

-------------

Thanks for anytime spend answering these questions. I was working on installing all the various forms of DLC so trying to get this just right so they all work. So far I have really only been successful, with using the riipatcher method of installing JD2,JD3,JD4 NAND pointer, virtualizing that and they work pointing to the extended NAND on the SD card.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This one might be for Fledge68 (As always thank you for all your work for us). If in reading this, there is a manual or prior post or you just want to push me to read the code for myself you can do that.

For newbies that are reading this post "NAND" is the Wii in system memory which is small. This post is about understanding "NAND Emulation Settings" in WiiFlow once you get it working.

I have scoured the net trying to understand every setting in WiiFlow for the below. If you could fill in the blanks I would appreciate it.
It seems like the NAND contains 7 pieces of info:
1) System and Controller Settings
2) Miis
3) System Channels
4) Wii Ware Titles
5) Virutal Console Titles
6) DLC Storage
7) Game Saves
-------------------------------------
Here are the settings in WiiFlow and the remaining questions I have about them:

1) Select NAND - This is straight forward, the options are the names of the folder in the NANDS folder (either on the USB or SD depending on another setting).
correct. or more correct the sub folder of the NANDS folder.
2) NAND Emulation - Options here are (Partial|Full). I have a couple questions, why is there no "Off" and how do you turn NAND emulation off? Another question is with the "Partial" setting, which of the 7 above is it emulating and why would you want to do that?
There is no OFF because nand emulation is only used when you are launching a emu nand game (vc or wiiware game on your emu nand). whenever you launch a emu nand game you have to have emulation ON so this just says ON FULL or PARTIAL.
3) Select Saves NAND - I am assuming that you could actually use two seperate NANDs one for Saves and one for everything else, but if that is not what this setting is for, I am stumped.
Saves NANDS is an emu nand that holds gamesaves for your WII games. yes you can use the same emu nand for both this and your wiiware/vc games or different emu nands if you like. note saves nand is referring to WII games not the gamesaves for wiiware/vc games. those are included on the emunand where your wiiware/vc games are.
4) Saves NAND Emulation - Options here are (Off|Game Save|Full). A couple questions here also, if you turn this "Off" but the "NAND Emulation" is "Full" does that mean anything? Also what is the difference between "Game Save" and "Full" on this one?
This is the Default settings used for all WII games. each individual wii game has the options DEFAULT, OFF, GAMESAVE, FULL. this isn't related to the nand emulation above. by the way both emulation settings (this one and the one above) are what wiiflow tells the d2x cios how much to emulate and how much to get from the real nand. partial emulation means get system config and miis from real nand and everything else from emu nand. full emulation means get everything from emu nand including the system config and mii's. system config contains config about the wifi and wiimote controllers among other things.
5) Saves NAND Partition - Again I am assuming you can use a separate NAND just for Game Saves, so this location would be different the one for everything else.
this is the partition or device (SD or USB) where the saves NAND is found. The normal emu nand partition settings is in main settings>partition settings. I probably should move one of these so they are both in the same place so as to not confuse people.
6) Use Real NAND Config - When this question says "Real NAND Config" is that only System and Controller Settings?
I should probably change this to say COPY Real NAND config to Emu NAND. this comes in handy if you create a emu nand with modmii. which is a brand new unused emu nand. using this feature will automatically have your controllers synced versus having to sync them when you first boot the emu nand.
7) Use Real NAND Miis - I am assuming if you are doing "FULL" Nand Emulation that this would create an exception for Miis... what is the advantage of this?
again a clean modmii emu nand won't have any mii's. you will have to create them or use this feature to COPY your miis from real nand to emu nand. note if you have mii's already on emu nand that this will replace them with the one's on real nand.
8) Channels Type - Options are (Emu NAND|Real NAND|Both). Is this the real on off switch for NAND Emulation for pieces 3-6 listed above. Meaning all channels and that is why Config, Miis and Saves have separate controls.
this tells wiiflow what wiiware/vc game covers to display. games on emu nand only/ games on real nand only/ or games on both real nand AND your emu nand.
-------------

Thanks for anytime spend answering these questions. I was working on installing all the various forms of DLC so trying to get this just right so they all work. So far I have really only been successful, with using the riipatcher method of installing JD2,JD3,JD4 NAND pointer, virtualizing that and they work pointing to the extended NAND on the SD card.

Oo_Ice_Deep_oO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, just to sum up. since I am working on DLC. DLC is stored like a hidden channel typically (though I think it might be able to be a save also). So, I should be able to:

NAND Emulation = Partial (This would would let the Just Dance Wii Game access the Emu NAND's DLC it is holding, since it is not a save, but a hidden channel) and Save Games Emulation = Game Save (Would make Just Dance use the Emu NAND for its save and use the real NAND controller config)

If all of that sounds right I think I have it and if I have issues making anything work I can manipulate this variable out.

Thanks a Bunch!

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, just to sum up. since I am working on DLC. DLC is stored like a hidden channel typically (though I think it might be able to be a save also). So, I should be able to:

NAND Emulation = Partial (This would would let the Just Dance Wii Game access the Emu NAND's DLC it is holding, since it is not a save, but a hidden channel) and Save Games Emulation = Game Save (Would make Just Dance use the Emu NAND for its save and use the real NAND controller config)

If all of that sounds right I think I have it and if I have issues making anything work I can manipulate this variable out.

Thanks a Bunch!
NAND emulation will have nothing to do with it since that is for wiiware/vc games. savesnand emulation is the one to use for a wii game (just dance). if the dlc is on the savesnand then i would think set savesnand emulation for that game to FULL.

Oo_Ice_Deep_oO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh One more sorry, when I update WiiFlow what is the easiest way to do that?

1) Do I need to delete the save channel in Emu NAND
2) Are there any folders in the WiiFlow folder that have to be replaced consistently?

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh One more sorry, when I update WiiFlow what is the easiest way to do that?

1) Do I need to delete the save channel in Emu NAND
2) Are there any folders in the WiiFlow folder that have to be replaced consistentl
I would rename apps/wiiflow to apps/wiiflow1 to back it up in case anything goes wrong and then just install apps/wiiflow and its contents. the rest is optional and can be left alone.

Reactions: KiiWii

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fledge68 any ideas on what's causing my issue? Was there a change with respect to how GUI sound settings are applied in the last couple of years?
This version doesn't seem to apply a particular setting on boot: GUI sound volume = 0. The ini settings file is properly created and saved, and the Wiiflow settings menu even shows this value at 0. But it doesn't apply this setting and silence the Wiiflow GUI sound effects until I go to the settings page and toggle it, on every boot.

At first I thought this was because I was trying to use my old version's settings ini, but the behavior continued after I deleted it and let 5.5.3 make a new one.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by fledge68,

fandango

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@fledge68 thank you for answering the recent emuNAND settings questions, it was very helpful.

I have a further question: Why is there no option in the individual Wiiware game settings to choose between Partial or Full emulation? Obviously Partial or Full can be set globally in 'NAND Emulation', but as far as I can tell, not per game?

And yes as you suggested it would make sense to move the emuNAND partition options together, and rename the 'Use Real Nand Config' and 'Use Real Nand Miis' settings to something like 'Copy in' or 'Import' instead of 'Use'.

Last edited by fandango,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hi @AncientBoi