Hacking WiiConnect24 with 4.2U Softmod

J8son

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just followed this tutorial to softmod my Wii. Everything worked great and, even though I haven't had an opportunity to test a game yet, everything seems to have worked great.

I'm reading that it's safe to have WiiConnect24 active, and since I'm sure certain Wii games require some kind of Internet connection, it seems essential. Through the Homebrew Channel, I used MMM to install updated versions of all my Channels as well (IE: Shop, Internet, News, Weather).

However, since I don't like the idea of having the "Standby Connection" on, it says that the News and Weather channel are not available.

Does anyone else have this issue with there softmod and is there a work around?

Thanks!
wink.gif

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think you can activate the stanby if you have priiloader. Priiloader will install before the system menu, this will mean you can patch the menu to deactivate system updates.

pedimaisum

Trophies
Website
blogs.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't understand very well your doubt, cause my 4.2U softmoded was running like a charm with Conect24 On. The updates came from Message Board, but you must accept this to start perform a update. I can be wrong, but I don't read anything talking about "automatic" updates...

And when you configure your Wifi connection, ever after each test, the system ask you for a accept a system update and you MUST to quit this.

I play online without Wii Conect24h now... Works like a charm
smile.gif

Revolution [9]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the only way to have WiiConnect24 on is if your Wii goes on standby when it's off. And if you have Priiloader installed and go under Hacks, you can disable all updates (game or system) like FIX94 said, if you're worried about that. But remember that WiFi =/= WiiConnect24. You can play games online without WiiConnect24.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
FIX94 said:
I think you can activate the stanby if you have priiloader. Priiloader will install before the system menu, this will mean you can patch the menu to deactivate system updates.

That only run a low level patch to do thing named Block Disc Updates .

WiiConect24 only allow you recieve updates in MESSAGE BOARD.

Read the Instruction Manual before make stupid questions.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, priiloader will block ANY updates, as long as you go into priiloader's settings.
WiiConnect24 on is fine, but the channels need the standby mode to "on".
Also, if you use a external USB drive, it will ALWAYS stay on if you leave standby mode to "on".
Just an FYI on that.......

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can enable a option called ignore standby, this will mean standby is still ON, but the wii will completely turn off.

Everlasting Nigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pedimaisum said:
I don't understand very well your doubt, cause my 4.2U softmoded was running like a charm with Conect24 On. The updates came from Message Board, but you must accept this to start perform a update. I can be wrong, but I don't read anything talking about "automatic" updates...

And when you configure your Wifi connection, ever after each test, the system ask you for a accept a system update and you MUST to quit this.

I play online without Wii Conect24h now... Works like a charm
smile.gif

MUST do the update after doing a test? No, no..you don't have to accept it, it does ask if ya want to or not.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, I also must say that the wii will only completely turn off in the system menu! If you are shutting down from a homebrew app, the wii will go to standby!

J8son

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replys!

So, in relation to my orginal question, if I turn both WiiConnect and Standby on but selected "Ignore" in the Preloader I assume that would restore the functionality to those channels. However, would this keep the Wii from being constantly on and always connecting. Also, this seems like it would burn up your USB hard drive if it stayed on like that all the time.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, put wiiconnect24 to ON,
put standby mode to ON,
and in priiloader, put no standby mode to enabled,
and your usb drive & wii will power off completely, as long as you dont power off from using an app in HBC.

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
J8son said:
Also, this seems like it would burn up your USB hard drive if it stayed on like that all the time.
Harddisks take the most damage when spinning up or down not when running and most usb hdds spin down after being idle for a few minutes.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also download damysteryman's hacks.ini and put it on the root of your sd card. In priiloader, got to system menu hacks and enable:
Block Disc Updates
Block Online Updates
Disable HAXX,DVDX,RZDx deletion
and save the settings.

J8son

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddetkowski said:
and your usb drive & wii will power off completely, as long as you dont power off from using an app in HBC.

I almost always power off using the power button on the Wii remote. I'm assuming this is fine correct?

QUOTE(FIX94 @ Aug 11 2010, 05:37 PM) Block Disc Updates
Block Online Updates

I already have most of these enabled per the tutorials instuctions...except Disable HAXX,DVDX,RZDx deletion. What does that do?

wabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just do what i do, leave wiiconnect24 on and power off the Wii manually by pressing the power button for 5 seconds (ON THE Wii itself). The Wii will shut off completely but the channels will still work (they might be longer to start though since they didn't update while the wii was off (red light)).

And this is normal behavior, hacked wii or not.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
J8son said:
ddetkowski said:

I almost always power off using the power button on the Wii remote. I'm assuming this is fine correct?

QUOTE(FIX94 @ Aug 11 2010, 05:37 PM) Block Disc Updates
Block Online Updates

I already have most of these enabled per the tutorials instuctions...except Disable HAXX,DVDX,RZDx deletion. What does that do?
It's only optional and you don't need to enable it, but it will remove the blocks from SM 4.2. HAXX is the old Homebrew Channel, DVDX is the old DVDx
rolleyes.gif
and RZDx is the Twilight hack.

J8son

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just just to clarify something (as I may have not known this about the Wii myself)...

Even with WiiConnect and Standy turned ON, aslong as the red light is on when th Wii is powered off, it is not connecting or active? I almost always turn the console off by holding the power button the Wii remote.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: But it does have a hamster... +1