wii64

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bestperson, Oct 14, 2008.

Oct 14, 2008

wii64 by bestperson at 1:54 PM (2,772 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. bestperson
    OP

Member bestperson Advanced Member

United States
    i was wondering if anybody knew if the wii is actually capable of ever having a fully functional n64 emulator?

the reason i am asking is to figure out if i should hold out for an n64 emulator for my wii or just install an emulator on my pc and play the n64 games on that.

i mostly just want to replay the Rare games the banjo kazooie games and goldeneye and gemini jet force.

2. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    your better off with the pc for now, i mean the n64 emulator was created about 6 months ago or something, and its pretty much pathetic, so go with a pc, hopefully someone manages to sort it out though, will be a mint* emulator, along with the ps1 emu.

3. bestperson
    OP

United States
    is there a ps1 emulator for the wii?

4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    They are working on it [​IMG]

5. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    ye i got holf of a modified version of ps1 emu, it managed to play GTA1 without sound, and controlls on pad were wrong, eventually error crashed.

6. Mark McDonut

Member Mark McDonut GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I wouldn't consider it pathetic, just a POC work in progress. Last time I checked the mupen page on google code they were fixing some issues libogc broke with the controllers and they're coding a dynarec recompiler which should help with some speed issues eventually but for the time being they're working out a lot of bugs. I do agree sticking with a PC based emulator being the best option as for right now though.

7. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    yep, certainly, and good look to the programmers on wii64 and psx

8. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    With all this talk about PS1 emulators and whatnot...

What ever happened to the PSP emulator?

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I'm really quite disappointed by the emulation atm on the Wii, I expected and want way more ....
    Luckily it's only a matter of time till it gets better, but still, now there isn't much to see.
    I don't like NES games (too old), why the hell would I want GBA emulating (got a GBA flashcart) and SNES is the only thing that can satisfy me (a bit, a bit too old...)

But for people who grew up with NES/SNES I can imagine they are very glad with the emulatoring on the Wii atm :-)

10. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    i must say i am pretty satisfied with the emulation on wii, although i hope wii64 and wiisx will get finished and i still hoping they will make a C64 emulator...

but those are my only wishes apart from hoping they make the emulators better and more dvd readable, cause i can't open roms from dvd, although it reads the dvd...

11. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    i really want the Atari lynx version of California Games, I currently have to use Handy on the PC, that would be a cool emu

12. bestperson
    OP

United States
    can the wii64 run any games at a playable speed?

doesn't the DS have a C64 emulator?

13. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I think No to both questions, but I'm not sure on the first one....

14. bestperson
    OP

United States
    have you guys used any of those usb to n64 controller adapters that i've seen on the net?

if so, do they work well and which one should i get?

15. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    you're wrong there, there is a frodo port to ds. and that same creator is making one for the wii too. but i hope he finishes it

16. Lord Kanti

Member Lord Kanti Advanced Member

United States
    Perhaps this is going to sound ignorant... but why use mupen at all?

nintendo has released several n64 emulators on game discs and VC. Is it not possible to use the code from one of these emulators? and if the only reason is 'due to copyright' then all i can say is "wow"

and if mupen is in fact based on one of these emulators, why doesnt it work yet?

17. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    anyone read the quote from the wiisx tehskeen article

Seems it is not dead yet, "main focus" is a pretty bold statement

18. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    ye, i got hold of the slightly modified .dol of wiisx, thats how i managed to get GTA1 working decent enough but without sound obviously till it gave error after 2mins, and the pad controlls were wrong.

19. Matando

Newcomer Matando Member

United States
    Mupen64 is a open-source cross-platform emulator. It only provides the foundation. In order to get it working a recompiler must be programmed. A dynarec one is in the currently in the works.

Also It is almost impossible to use one of the emulators nintendo has released because it is not open-source. If it's not open source we can not use the code(that we cant even get) to base our emulator off of. Also, on top of that you're right it is copyrighted and is the second reason why we wont/cant base it off nintendo's stuff.

*note if I may have seemed mean i have no intensions of doing so, I was just stating the facts and don't want a flame war started.

20. Lord Kanti

Member Lord Kanti Advanced Member

United States
    I was just curious if the nintendo emulators could in fact be opened up and have the code diddled with.

In regards to point #2
    I know copyrights are there, but some people could care less. if I had the know how, a NES, a Wii and Super Mario Brothers, I would have no problem morally to emulate a system i legally own from code I legally bought to play a game I still own in my library.

So I will finish with another ignorant question. How are the nintendo emulators perceived anyways, do they use a nintendo file structure that cannot be deciphered or are there simply key components that can be 'seen' but are in fact encrypted? I have yet to venture into heavy coding and do not fully understand the fundementals behind reverse engineering of code. Thanks for helping to clarify things, I dont want to say it should be easy to reverse nintendo code for the sake of n64 emulation, because I know if it was easy it would be done already, Im just curious what makes it 'not easy' [​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~
    one more thing, If it is possible to inject a rom into a 64 VC (say turn mario64 into pilotwings for example) would it be possible to run the VC from homebrew and inject code where the rom should be that would bring up an option for the use to select a rom from usb sd etc?