Wii x Vita

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by RodrigoDavy, Jan 24, 2013.

Jan 24, 2013

Wii x Vita by RodrigoDavy at 10:30 PM (2,836 Views / 0 Likes) 68 replies

1. RodrigoDavy
    OP

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    So... I could pretend I am trying to choose which to buy, but I am not. I don't own any of these system and don't intend to for the time being xD. But I was curious about one thing. Are Vita's graphics better than Wii's graphics? How much is the gap between them? I'm hoping to see some screenshots if possible but I guess it's better to keep my speculations low.

Also, sorry for making a shitty thread, but, what the hell, gbatemp is full of them.

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The Vita graphics are honestly leagues better. It's closer to the PS3 than it is to the Wii.

Although if you're on GBAtemp asking about "should I chose a Wii or a Vita" it's worth warning you over the overwhelming bias here.

3. pierslogic

Newcomer pierslogic Perfectionist

Sweden
    Well you could've searched for some videos on YT and compared it for yourself :P In terms of producing graphics quality, I think the Vita's got more power (correct me if I'm wrong), but if you wanna have a go at some great games, then I would recommend the wii for the moment. :)

Then again, you're comparing a new handheld with a home console, that's been around for quite some time.

4. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Aka choose the Vita.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  5. RodrigoDavy
    OP

Brazil
    I tried searching, but it tended to compare Wii U graphics with the Vita...

6. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well they're both pretty solid systems, I don't think you'd do poorly with either one, I'm just suggesting he ask somewhere else since everyone here is heavily one-sided.

Really I just suggest looking at both systems, considering what they're capable of, and making an informed decision based on that info.

7. war2thegrave

Member war2thegrave GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's not that the wii's graphics are bad.
    It's just that nintendo built a standard def system
    at a time when consumers were looking for any
    excuse to buy a new hd widescreen.

8. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    get both, if you can.

the wii has more fun games.
    the vita has no games well, good games.

9. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    the Wii looks worse than the Vita

10. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I intended that as a joke, but I agree with the second part.

Tho if you are leaning towards the wii, matter well save up for the wii u.

This isn't what he mainly asked anyway. :P

11. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    The Wii without a doubt. It's an established system and has a better game library not to mention great homebrew.

Vita's more powerful (not a huge gap, though) and games do look better thanks to modern shaders.

12. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Wii has gaemz the other doesn't. :)

13. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    To be honest I'd get the Wii. Mod it and homebrew away. Modded Wiis are pretty nifty things to have.

Get some component cables though, composite is shit.

xwatchmanx likes this.
  14. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Am I the only one who read in the OP that he did NOT ask of which to buy, only which had the best graphics?
    I have not seen the Vita in real life, but I would guess that it is miles better looking than the Wii based on a few things (and screenshots).
    The Wii just... doesn't look good. It's fun as hell, but compared to a lot of things, the graphics are bad.
    The Vita has a high resolution screen, is quite new, has killer tech inside the hood... and even if it'd have the same resolution as the Wii, a small screen with a higher pixel density would look better. So to sum it up, it's miles better.

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  15. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    You're correct but it's worth noting that most Vita games run at a sub-native resolution effectively making the high-res screen kind of pointless. But yeah, Vita games do look better mostly because of shaders (kind of like how Revelations on the 3DS looks closer to a PS360 game than any Wii game thanks to dem shaders).

16. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Good one.

The Vita isn't miles past the Wii in term of graphics as I've seen. It's maybe 1.5 x Xbox with modern GPU feature effects. Vita's smaller screen enables it to look much better the Wii. So Vita wins.

Also as Soulx pointed out, most Vita games don't even run native res and some are even lower than Wii's res.

17. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Sub-native resolution or not, what matters is the end result. And it looks better because of shaders? Well, that's quite obvious. Shaders are a big part of computer graphics, and again, what matters is the end result.
    Shaders are also a great way for doing operations and sometimes calculate important things... (Been doing some of that... considering I'm a thesis away from Master of Science and Engineering in Media Technology and Advanced Computer Graphics Programming) :P

18. Andim

Member Andim GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Too beautiful for me :^)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  19. RodrigoDavy
    OP

Brazil
    It's close to ps360 graphics, but it seems it lacks anti-aliasing and is in a low-resolution just like the Wii. Still pretty good though, definetely what the Wii should have been in its time

20. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I never thought that I'll hear the "It has gaems" argument in reference to the Wii, even on GBAtemp. It has a handful of good games, let's underline that with a very thick marker, mmm-kay? There's not a whole lot of'em among the shovelware and even then, most are first-party. Don't get me wrong, I have a Wii and I love it to bits - it's the console that gave me freaking No More Heroes but that doesn't change the fact that the list of titles worth some interest is quite short.

As for Vita's AA and resolution, they're both just fine. I don't know why screen shots look like this on the PC - it's either the built-in screen shot app being derpy or the OLED screen being amazing, but you can't see the jaggies on the system very often.