Wii won't turn on

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by racertj5, Aug 2, 2017.

1. racertj5
    OP

racertj5 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    No power light. Litterally nothing when I push the button. Anyway to tell if it's the system or power cord before I go trying to replace either

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it happened to me once, I thought it fried because it happened while I was using it (using the NDS emulator, I thought the CPU fried).

just unplug your AC adapter from the wall AND the console, leave it like that for a few moment. I don't know how long you have to wait, but I did it very long (in fact I thought it was dead, so I unplugged it, and tried again the next day only, see my last message in my blog).
    My console is now working fine since that incident. it didn't happen again.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 2, 2017
  3. racertj5
    OP

racertj5 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    Thanks. I unplugged it before I left for work and told my gf it was broken so it'll sit for a while. If you're wrong might be a good excuse to buy the wii u lol

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    let me know if it fixed it like it did to me :)

5. racertj5
    OP

racertj5 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    You're a genius. It's working. However I found a really good deal on a wii u anyway so that's happening anyway haha

Cyan likes this.
  6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse

The Wii (and Wii U) AC adapter has a "resettable fuse". Basically, if the fuse encounters an overcurrent condition, its resistance increases substantially, which cuts off power from the system. It goes back to normal after being disconnected from power for ~30min or so.

This is something that should be present on all power supplies, because the other failure scenario is much worse. (Well, either the resettable fuse or a circuit breaker, but the circuit breaker costs a lot more.)

GreyWolf and migles like this.
  7. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    TIL....
    thanks for the tip

weird... usually "telling the lady of the house" that x thing is broken usually means that when you come back from work it's already in the dumpster, when you expected to repair it...