Hacking Wii virus possible

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Duh?
You can already brick your wii, so if you make an app that does the same thing it bricks your wii it's called a virus

priapism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't give anybody ideas. the last thing we need is people purposely producing bad Wad files in order to brick Wiis.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not called a virus unless it automatically propagates on to new host systems.
yaynds.gif

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Possible? Sure! And not hard to do too..

coolbho3000 said:
It's not called a virus unless it automatically propagates on to new host systems.
yaynds.gif

Nope, that's a worm, which is also a type of virus, and that can be done on the Wii too since it has Internet access..

JimmyBobAlex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think what OP is referring to can be better described as malware. Either way, I hope we never see people being dicks and spreading stuff like this around on purpose.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CockroachMan said:
Possible? Sure! And not hard to do too..

coolbho3000 said:
yaynds.gif

Nope, that's a worm, which is also a type of virus, and that can be done on the Wii too since it has Internet access..

I don't think that would be easy on a Wii.

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Well the guy has made a point :
As the homebrew channel has a self update feature , if someone hacks the homebrew channel update server (the one that is being checked in every launch of the HBC) and plants an "update" containing malicious code (which is in fact a new .dol file ,being executed to replace the former HBC) , you will launch the new channel and it will brick your Wii.

another example is the homebrew browser app , which can dowload new apps for the HBC. you dont know where the apps are coming from...
I downloaded Wii-Doom off the homebrew browser yesterday (which i never heard of before , didnt check gbatemp for a few days) , thinking about it now , it could be a trojan...

I'm not trying to frighten anyone , just letting you know that it is possible , and preety simple.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
theres no way u can get a virus, nothing that effect performace, it would require wayyyy to much work, that and theres a difference between a program that does somehting and a virus
It could happen. It emails itself to all of the Wiis on your friend list and then it deletes some system files.
Doesn't sound too hard to me.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
lou_weed said:
As the homebrew channel has a self update feature , if someone hacks the homebrew channel update server (the one that is being checked in every launch of the HBC) and plants an "update" containing malicious code (which is in fact a new .dol file ,being executed to replace the former HBC) , you will launch the new channel and it will brick your Wii.

Much easier to make some PC malware that borks the DNS. Instant "hack"

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
arctic_flame said:
lou_weed said:

Much easier to make some PC malware that borks the DNS. Instant "hack"

my example has heavier damage , but the point is that it is possible , and very simple...

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
So downloaded code for the Wii should be digitally signed by Wiibrew with the keys stored in a secure location . And this time, they will know not to use strncmp .

It's the only way .

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody would go to the trouble of making a proper "virus" for the wii when all you need to do is release a vc or wiiware injection with a certain part of the wad corrupted and it'll brick your wii. If the brlyt or brlan of your icon.bin is corrupted then your wii can be toast. Luckily, none of the injections we currently do messes with those files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1