Hacking Wii update help please

voyagerxp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I sold my pal wii a while ago to my brother but now he has sold it back to me as he got bored with it. Well when it was mine i had a hybrid wii chip installed and i had put the hombrew channel and neogammer on and it always played the games i wanted. Well i went to play no more heroes 2 and super mario galaxy 2 but nmh2 won't play and smg2 won't save, i looked at the firmware and it has 3.4e on so i gather thas the problem so i need to update but updating via game disk or internet would stop hombrew am i right. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to wii software and updating so any info would be great.

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
voyagerxp said:
I sold my pal wii a while ago to my brother but now he has sold it back to me as he got bored with it. Well when it was mine i had a hybrid wii chip installed and i had put the hombrew channel and neogammer on and it always played the games i wanted. Well i went to play no more heroes 2 and super mario galaxy 2 but nmh2 won't play and smg2 won't save, i looked at the firmware and it has 3.4e on so i gather thas the problem so i need to update but updating via game disk or internet would stop hombrew am i right. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to wii software and updating so any info would be great.

First try to update your cIOS and your loader. I'm on 3.2e an don't have any problems. But i do use Usbloader GX.

krazykipa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like you need to update to be able to play new games. You might just need to install the IOSes the games use. Try running DOPmii and see if you have the proper IOSes.

Also try out zero's suggestions.

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
krazykipa said:
Sounds like you need to update to be able to play new games. You might just need to install the IOSes the games use. Try running DOPmii and see if you have the proper IOSes.

Also try out zero's suggestions.

I saw your editing stuff...
You might be right, too

I got installed all IOS up to 70 but never installed a newer sysmenu.
So i'm up to date but still on Sysmenu 3.2e.

There is also an ISO-Patcher which changes the IOS a game wants to use.
But it doesn't work with all games. I think some do use "Special Features"
of the newer IOS.

voyagerxp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm a novice in this wii stuff and i worry about bricking the thing. I only have a wiifree hybid modchip and have the homebrew channel, neogammer and a few wiiware games i installed ages ago. If i install a update from a a new game what will happen.

voyagerxp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
any answers please, i was told to used pimp my wii and download through network. Would that work and what chance of bricking would i have.

voyagerxp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Right i want to ask one question before i start to try anything on that link above as i know nothing about this updating stuff. I have no intrest of installing wii ware or things like that. I have the hombrew channel installed just so i could use the neaogammer to play games from the ntsc. I have no other apps on my wii other than that. If i update to 4.2 from a pal game would the homebrew channel and neogammer be removed and wii be ok and if it is removed could i reinstall them.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you have a old version of the Homebrew Channel, it'll be removed, otherwise it'll stay there.

To be sure, you could just run the latest HackMii installer and install the latest HBC from there. You'll still have the HBC even after updating, this way.

The NeoGamma channel should remain too, but it could not work anymore, and you could have to install a new version.

Sure, remember that even if your Homebrew Channel disappears (for mystical unexplainable reasons), you can just use BannerBomb on 4.2 without problems and reinstall it from there.

voyagerxp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, i think i have the homebrew channel beta 7 so is that classed as old. Do i install the latest HackMii installer and install the latest HBC from there or just install update via game disk and see if the hbc is still there after and if its gone reinstall with BannerBomb. What is the easyest way for dummies like me lol and if i update with a game will smg 2 be ok.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
voyagerxp said:
Right, i think i have the homebrew channel beta 7 so is that classed as old. Do i install the latest HackMii installer and install the latest HBC from there or just install update via game disk and see if the hbc is still there after and if its gone reinstall with BannerBomb. What is the easyest way for dummies like me lol and if i update with a game will smg 2 be ok.
Seriously, just follow the sticky
tongue.gif

If you still want to do on your own, though... Put the hackmii installer in the apps folder, and run it from your current HBC. Then install again the HBC, and it should be updated.

If you update with a game disc now the HBC will be 100% gone after the update. Sure, updating from a game is ok, but you'll have to use bannerbomb to reinstall the HBC
tongue.gif

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
voyagerxp said:
I sold my pal wii a while ago to my brother but now he has sold it back to me as he got bored with it.
i wanted to take a moment and let you know how much i appreciated the backstory here. while i agree with everyone else, you should follow the sticky, i still wanted to mention that i thought you created some compelling characters here, and i'm really interested in finding out how the whole thing ends.

TEAM BROTHER!

voyagerxp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Right i'm going by the sticky, is this just the part of the sticky i need to do.

Update to 4.2
Follow this if your not on 4.2 yet, it will update all of your IOS's & System menu to the latest firmware.

Setting up the SD Card
1st download the precompiled link update.zip for your region by emailing [email protected]
Extract the "update.zip" & put the files onto a SD card & insert the SD card into the Wii.

Installing The Homebrew Channel & Bootmii
Run bannerbomb by going to the Settings, Data Management, Channels, SD Card & choosing yes to load boot.dol/elf
This runs the Hackmii Installer from which you should install the Homebrew Channel, DVDX [optional], & Bootmii as IOS & boot2 if possible.

Update to 4.2
Run Yet Another WAD Manager Mod from The Homebrew Channel.
Scroll down the list to find & install:
*Really important stuff here! Do not skip or alter steps in any way!*
IOS70-64-v6687.wad
& System Menu-NUS-v481.wad [NTSC-J = v480; PAL = v482]
Then proceed to install the remaining 22 different IOS files & Shopping Channel-NUS-v18.wad by pressing + on each one then A to install them. It should say 23 files will be installed.
*End.*
You can then erase everything from the update.zip & setup everything from the modify.zip
Advance to the Modify 4.2 section to reinstall The Homebrew Channel so it can run under the correct IOS.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
voyagerxp said:
Right i'm going by the sticky, is this just the part of the sticky i need to do.

Update to 4.2
Follow this if your not on 4.2 yet, it will update all of your IOS's & System menu to the latest firmware.

Setting up the SD Card
1st download the precompiled link update.zip for your region by emailing [email protected]
Extract the "update.zip" & put the files onto a SD card & insert the SD card into the Wii.

Run bannerbomb by going to the Settings, Data Management, Channels, SD Card & choosing yes to load boot.dol/elf
This runs the Hackmii Installer from which you should install the Homebrew Channel, DVDX [optional], & Bootmii as IOS & boot2 if possible.

Update to 4.2
Run Yet Another WAD Manager Mod from The Homebrew Channel.
Scroll down the list to find & install:
*Really important stuff here! Do not skip or alter steps in any way!*
IOS70-64-v6687.wad
& System Menu-NUS-v481.wad [NTSC-J = v480; PAL = v482]
Then proceed to install the remaining 22 different IOS files & Shopping Channel-NUS-v18.wad by pressing + on each one then A to install them. It should say 23 files will be installed.
*End.*
You can then erase everything from the update.zip & setup everything from the modify.zip
Advance to the Modify 4.2 section to reinstall The Homebrew Channel so it can run under the correct IOS.
You still have to hack the goddamn thing! Follow the WHOLE sticky.

voyagerxp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Right i see but this part it says,

QUOTE said:

I have the old version of the homebrew channel on, will it at the point above give me the option to uninstall or not.

Another question, this is complete softmod guide, does all this guide need to be followed by me as i have a mod chip.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
voyagerxp said:
Right i see but this part it says,

QUOTE said:

I have the old version of the homebrew channel on, will it at the point above give me the option to uninstall or not.

Another question, this is complete softmod guide, does all this guide need to be followed by me as i have a mod chip.
Uninstall it, then reinstall it.

If you have a modchip, just stop before the "After Modding" section.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work