Hardware Wii U won't boot with HDMI cable plugged in

Dotzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The day before yesterday I was still playing Yoshi's Woolly World with my gf, yesterday the Wii U wouldn't boot (we played Toy Story 3 on PS3 instead).

However fun Toy Story 3 is, I would like my Wii U to boot normally. It won't get past the Wii U logo on the bootscreen, though.

When my gf was trying to get the Wii U to boot, she managed by removing the HDMI cable.

These are all symptoms of the problem:

• Wii U wouldn't boot, the day before it booted fine. Before that it wasn't used for ~2 months.
  • It gets stuck on the Wii U logo screen during start up;
  • There's no visual on the TV (input channel is right, so are Wii U output settings);
  • Sometimes it will show the message about forced shutdown; it will freeze after that;
  • The Wii U will turn on if any of the synched controllers or the gamepad is turned on;
  • The only responsive button is the ''TV'' button, but it just shows a small pop up to enable it in settings (which I didn't);
  • With the HDMI cable removed, none of the afromentioned problems show up and the console boots like it's supposed to.
This is what I tried already;

• Remove HDD and SD card and try to boot;
  • Remove all cables for three minutes and try to boot;
  • Try to boot in vWii menu (holding B during Wii U logo);
  • Turn on console without gamepad;
None of this bore any results.

Also:

• The Wii U was bought second hand. I have used Haxchi to install rips of my gamediscs to the HDD, but I have never used cold boot haxchi.
  • Smoking has taken place in the room where the Wii U is located, but that amounts to 40 cigarettes in a well ventilated room tops;
  • The Wii U is in a well ventilated space, it does not feel hot;
  • I do have a back up about ~4/5 months old;
  • The Wii U doesn't have access to the internet. It had a wifi connection before its ~2 month hiatus. But in the meanwhile the password of the wifi network was changed; thus preventing the Wii U to access the internet.

I Googled a lot and found a lot of people had trouble with HDMI ports. Though, I couldn't find anybody reporting the exact same problem as mine. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any solution. either

I'm afraid my Wii U is toast. Does anybody have any idea what might be going on? Or how to solve this?

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow you tried a lot of things. So I'm guessing you've tried other HDMI cables and TVs as well?

Does it work with a component or composite cable?

Dotzz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wow you tried a lot of things. So I'm guessing you've tried other HDMI cables and TVs as well?

Does it work with a component or composite cable?

I did indeed try other HDMI cables and TVs.

I do not own component or composite cables, so I did not test it. I was planning to buy a SCART cable for the Wii U anyway to play Hawai Showdown on a CRT, so I'll probably probably go and buy one some time this week.

But nonetheless; while it might help with diagnostics for now. I don't want to be stuck using only analog video output. Worst case scenario I'd buy another Wii U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol