Wii U -> Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Larsenv, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Larsenv
    OP

Larsenv RiiConnect24 Developer

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    Texas
    Hello,

A while back I bricked vWii on Wii U by installing Wii IOS, and bricked my Wii U. Whenever I tried to update the Wii U, it would give me error 162-0002. After researching, I realized it might of been an IOS problem.

So I got a new one.

On this Wii U, I could not transfer Game and Wario from my old Wii U to the new Wii U because I downloaded it.

Also, on both of the Wii Us, my New Super Mario Bros. U disc could not be read. Polishing the disc did not help.

Should I go to gamestop and see if they can do anything?

Have a good day!

2. RioLucario

RioLucario Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2012
    United States
    Middle of technology
    Lol trade both of em in and you'll get like 5 bucks

But really have you tried resetting the old Wii u that might fix it
    And for the disc im not sure but it must be a bad disc maybe try to get a replacement

3. Etheboss

Etheboss Official LULWUT supporter

Feb 24, 2009
    Netherlands
    Around somewhere
    IIRC all you have to do is format your vWii

4. Larsenv
    OP

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    Texas
    How do I reset the old Wii U? I do it on the Wii U side, right?

I'm more interested in copying the game to the new Wii U.

5. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Can you brick your Wii U though Wii mode?

6. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Don't think so. You'd have to have access to stuff like the Wii U NAND from vWii and I think they made a point to block us out of that.

7. Larsenv
    OP

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    Texas
    Well, not a BRICK, but in my experience of being stupid and installing Wii IOS first messed up Wii mode, then I noticed when trying to update my Wii U, it wouldn't work. People got mad because they sent their wii u to nintendo and they said that they modded it. Well, some people did not mod it. I thought Nintendo was lying to people until Wii U 4.0.0 came out and someone got the error code while updating, and had to delete IOS 58, 38, 36, and 15 using anytitle deleter. So, I think error 162-0002 meant something rather than installing Wii IOS, and if the Wii IOS gets messed up, they think that you modded it.

8. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I don't think you can brick Wii U mode with the vWii. Also, the 162-0002 error is not an IOS issue, it is a problem with your ISP or device losing packets during download which is corrupting the install and will fail during install. I know this from experience, I get errors on both system and game updates which I can keep trying and eventually it will successfully install but since I have a data cap that is not an option for some large updates. I have to pack up my Wii U and take to to my brother's house where he has a more reliable ISP and router to download any updates and they will install without any issues. Trust me if you get any errors during install then take your Wii U to another internet connection or keep retrying and eventually it will work.

9. Larsenv
    OP

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    Texas
    It is not my internet failing. I have tried several times to update a Wii U and got that error. It may be a problem with internet as well, because some people have done stuff with the DNS. Plus, why would Nintendo say you modded the system if it was an Internet issue? The IOS thing is what I think because I have read about it and found out that someone removed some IOS and got it to work.

10. slingblade1170

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    What about the people with an unmodded Wii U? They are many with the same issues. Also, is your updates failing during download or is it failing while installing the update?

BTW, Nintendo reps & tech supports are a bit naive when it comes to anything other than resetting your parental controls or connecting to the internet. So, when they can't fix an issue they assume its modded and if you admit to having the HBC installed or any other hacks they no longer care if they help you or not.

11. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    The only advice I can give you is to not polish the discs if they're not scratched as it won't be needed, that's for scratched discs and even still it's better not to polish them as they might become unreadable.

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I got that error a couple of times due to my wireless being a piece of crap, I eventually managed to update just fine after a while, and that was with a hacked vWii mode.

13. slingblade1170

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Who is your ISP?

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Some local no-name provider. Veracity or something like that, of course my city is getting Google Fiber as we speak.... But yeah, the error went away after a while.

15. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Yeah, on another thread somebody pointed out the update is not downloading correctly. There is no way for us to narrow something down and say conclusively, "That is it, the transfer part is corrupted" or some other imagined reason for the update to fail. The most logical reason is maybe the most common reason for devices to brick; update is corrupted. Get 2 million packets, and 100 are corrputed/errors and that may be enough to cause the brick (for example). Randomizer said update eventually succeeded.

1.) Curious to see what Marcan knows about verification of update integrity prior to installation begins. Also, is there some fail safe or like a "Wii U recovery" disc?
    2.) It does seem to be poor internet integrity with these update issues. The rest seems to be speculation. OBVIOUSLY the way the Wii had bootmii and priiloader helped for situations like this. Basically like adding a "boot loader" like in phones/computers. For my phone, I have an engineering hboot and love the freedom. It really gives me a safety net. These stories about bad updates are making me not want to risk updating over the internet. MAYBE Nintendo might actually consider adding some sort of safety feature. Is it too hard to have a simple, "Restore" option like some computers have built in, seriously???

16. Larsenv
    OP

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    Texas
    My new Wii U updates just fine though.

17. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    i don't know about your update, but i would send the game back to nintendo and they will fix it or send you a new one. doesn't matter when you bought it.