Wii U Pro Controller Not Charging

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Lucifer666, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Lucifer666
    OP

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    The Wii U pro controller lasts millennia, I've only had to recharge it 4 or so times in its lifetime.

All was going well up until the last time I tried to charge it. It was completely dead, and when I plugged it in, the controller wouldn't light up. At all.

I was getting concerned but I turned to the illogical, tech-impaired thought that it was so drained/"undercharged" that it would take an awful lot of time before it can even light up.

Four hours later the charge light is on, and from that point it needs the average amount of time to fully charge.

Fast forward hours of Majora's Mask playing (hooked it up to my laptop's N64 emulator), and it's empty again. I want to use it for my Wii U this time. I plug it in the charger and it won't light up, again. What a load of crap, I thought.

I left it to charge overnight, thinking this was just like the last time. Waking up this morning it's evident that the controller is just dead. It won't charge.

I had searched the depths of the internet for anyone with a similar problem and found only one, whose solution was to remove and reinsert the battery. I did that, but to no avail.

Here's the deal though - according to some Nintendo-based forums and Nintendo's support website, the Wii U pro controller should only be charged through the Wii U's USB ports, which I was sure this is just their way of saying "Whatever the heck happens to your controller is none of our business if you charge it otherwise"; however, I MAY have used one of those USB-to-wall adapters the last time I tried to charge it, I really can't remember. If so perhaps that's what Nintendo was avoiding on their support page.

So, my question is - would a replacement of the battery fix my problem? Or would the excessive power supply somehow have damaged the controller itself? (excuse my ignorance, this stuff is hardly my area)

Next question - if it is only a battery issue, is there a way to actually repair the battery? Some sort of homebrew remedy, I don't know. I just really don't want to resort to using a 3rd party battery.

Thanks in advance.