Wii U not recognizing Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Mite000, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Mite000
    OP

Mite000 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    Canada
    I've been using a 500GB WD Elements Hard Drive to play backed up Wii and GCN games on my Wii. Since then I've hacked my Wii U and have been able to successfully load Wii games off an SD card, but I can't get it to recognize my Hard Drive.

This is the exact drive here: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...spx?path=3e0c73633f905b93816b6f77e7ad310cen02

I'm wondering if the issue is that the drive doesn't have its own power source, as I've read that has been a problem with other drives. If so, is there anyway to make this drive compatible?

Thank you

2. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    First of all, wii uses the lower usb port, wiiu uses the upper usb port, make sure you take the right one.
    If it still doesnt work, get a y-usb cable, because wiiu usb ports dont supply enough energy for some hdds, using 2 ports on 1 hdd via an y-usb cable takes care of that.

3. Mite000
    OP

Mite000 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    Canada

I wasn't sure which port to use so I tried all of them, even the two on the front lol, and none of them worked. I didn't even know a y-usb cable existed so I'll have to try that. Thanks for letting me know about it

4. Mite000
    OP

Mite000 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    Canada
    I was able to order a Y-USB cable online and it took a long time to arrive, but I'm happy to say it did solve my issue. The hard drive I was using to play Wii backups on my Wii now works with the Wii U as well. Thank you for the advice GorTesk! :)

5. onlinespending

onlinespending Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2009
    United States
    I'm having a problem with my Wii U detecting my hard drive as well. It's formatted as FAT32 and is connected to the back with a Y-cable to provide extra power. Right after I formatted it, I tested it out and it was detected. I then loaded some games and launched USB Loader GX. It too recognized the drive no problem. But when I exited back to the vWii menu, it no longer detected it. USB Loader GX just hang. Now every single time I start up my Wii U it no longer detects the drive. Plugging it into my computer still shows all of my files and the drive seems healthy. It is an SSD. Any ideas?

6. dn_angel000

dn_angel000 Phantom User

Apr 27, 2010
    United States
    [Nevermind] lol