Hacking Wii U N64 emulator settings

raidriar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I am trying to make the N64 games look as best as they can on the Wii U. So far, I have done the following:
1. Removed the dark mask
2. Set the frame to 1920x1080 instead of 1440x1080 to fill the entire screen (stretching the image though...)
3. Replaced vessel.rpx for all the games using the F-Zero vessel (is this the best one?)
4. In the INI, set canvas render to 640 x 480 instead of 320 x 240 (does this upscale or change the internal render resolution?)

Where can I find widescreen IPS patches for the virtual console games? I can deal with the stretched image but I'd rather them render in proper 16:9 instead of stretched 4:3. Thanks!

D

Deleted User

Hello all,

I am trying to make the N64 games look as best as they can on the Wii U. So far, I have done the following:
1. Removed the dark mask
2. Set the frame to 1920x1080 instead of 1440x1080 to fill the entire screen (stretching the image though...)
3. Replaced vessel.rpx for all the games using the F-Zero vessel (is this the best one?)
4. In the INI, set canvas render to 640 x 480 instead of 320 x 240 (does this upscale or change the internal render resolution?)

Where can I find widescreen IPS patches for the virtual console games? I can deal with the stretched image but I'd rather them render in proper 16:9 instead of stretched 4:3. Thanks!

You cannot get best results in Retroarch WiiU for N64-games, since WiiU´s cpu is locked (=user-mode only, low bandwidth state of the cpu).

The fastest (=unlocked) result is only possible in Retroarch Wii (running on WiiU in vWii-state with unlocked cpu)since there´s no cpu-lock there.
And no, you can´t magically unlock the cpu in WiiU-mode.It seems to be a hardwired lock.
So if you run N64-games via Retroarch WiiU, you ain´t getting good fps nor best results since the cpu is locked because otherwise it would overheat because the AMD-Gpu is heating up the cooler. You only get what Retroarch WiiU can do on the limited state of the cpu (=user-mode).
What you want though is getting "supervisor-mode". And tnis mode of the cpu only works in vWii-state. Not in WiiU´s OS. Retroarch WiiU is a WiiU-OS-application.

raidriar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never was using retroarch. I meant configuring the Nintendo n64 emulator for use with other games...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I didn’t mean retroarch. I meant getting other n64 games to work with the Nintendo n64 emulator, like diddy kong racing. I have no interest in retroarch.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OP is specifically talking about the official Virtual Console emulator, FYI.

You cannot get best results in Retroarch WiiU for N64-games, since WiiU´s cpu is locked
Interesting. Makes sense though, that the triple-core CPU would run in a lower powered state for heat reasons, whereas the single-core vWii mode can be fully clocked.

And emulation, specifically, benefits from one fast core over multiple slower ones - especially when you don't have access to the professional grade development kits that the Virtual Console programmers did. (A bit of a pity for any aspiring homebrewers who might try something fancy like running two emulators at once for dual screen linkup of systems like the Game Boy)

Last edited by N7Kopper,
Reactions: CORE
D

Deleted User

OP is specifically talking about the official Virtual Console emulator, FYI.

Interesting. Makes sense though, that the triple-core CPU would run in a lower powered state for heat reasons, whereas the single-core vWii mode can be fully clocked.

And emulation, specifically, benefits from one fast core over multiple slower ones - especially when you don't have access to the professional grade development kits that the Virtual Console programmers did. (A bit of a pity for any aspiring homebrewers who might try something fancy like running two emulators at once for dual screen linkup of systems like the Game Boy)

Forget what i said, those data are out-dated. lol. It´s more complicated than that. The WiiU uses AES 128bit-encryption (running in software in "Cafe OS"). Of course only in WiiU-mode.

But: in vWii-mode the bandwdith of the SD-card seems to be locked as well. And there might be AES 128-bit as well. I don´t know that yet, but it would explain the sandbox they created here.

Yeah. WiiU IS complicated. Sometimes my head begins to hurt because it took me so long to find it all out. But at least i know it now.

I`m glad that now, that i know 99% of all data about it, i can finally begin to live again and not just study 24/7 about it. Since 2019 i have more duties than just work & hobbies.

Reactions: CORE

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol