Wii U Invalid Disc

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by jamerz9, Feb 2, 2016.

1. jamerz9
    OP

jamerz9 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2014
    United States
    I have a Wii U and I put in Super Mario Maker, and it says invalid disc the disc could not be read. I tried my other games and they didn't work either. I tried cleaning the disc thoroughly but nothing happened. Do I need to replace the Disc Drive?

2. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    looks like the drive failed. you will have to send it out. You can replace the mechanical part of the drive but the logic board is tied to your wii U. Stupid i know, its not like a drive swap from a different wii u would allow hacks.

3. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Yup, pretty much the drive is dead.

4. RodrigoR

RodrigoR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2014
    Brazil
    It's only happening with Mario Maker, Have your tried to clean the update datas or try on another device? I found out that wii u discs are quite fragile. I lost 2 disc already (Mk8 and Lego Marvels), not a single scratch, it just give me read error, tried on other wii u, still the same, so disc problem for sure. All my others game works fine.
    If your disc works on another wii u then 100% its your hardware.

Last edited by RodrigoR, Feb 2, 2016
  5. jamerz9
    OP

jamerz9 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2014
    United States
    The weird thing is that a Wii game worked about 5 days ago. But now all my games including the Wii game don't work. Nothing happened between those times except I used a different power outlet. So maybe its a power issue.

6. RodrigoR

RodrigoR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2014
    Brazil
    It could be. Maybe the wii u isnt getting enough power, some 3rd party power unit don't deliver the required power. Try to get a oficial power uni9t to test, or other 3rd party unit. You can consider that the new power unit you used may be damaged your wii u too.

7. jamerz9
    OP

jamerz9 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2014
    United States
    Ill try the other power outlet and Ill report back

8. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Yeah whats up with fragile discs....I thought blu-ray was supposed to be pretty rugged. I have a game that doesn't read anymore either (I think Rayman)yet I don't see any scratches either. Is there any products that are good for resurfacing game discs? I used to recover Wii games all the time with a DVD Skip Dr

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Thing is if the drives were not tied to the console we would have had drive emulator chips already. WiiKeU and Cobra ODE were never released for this very reason. They couldn't make the chip work without dumping the keys from the console with an exploit first.

I've never had any issues with my discs. If you can't see any scratches the disc is probably not the issue.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Feb 4, 2016
  10. jamerz9
    OP

jamerz9 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2014
    United States
    Tried the other power outlet, no luck. Again no games work. Any ideas?

11. Sick Wario

Sick Wario Club Nintendo

Jul 24, 2006
    NNID: godrugal
    position the wii u horizontally if you haven't already.

hold the discs up to a light source. any little light holes in the disc?

i just opened a sealed xenoblade and it even has a damn pinhole near the centre.