Hardware Wii U has “more RAM" than X360/PS3 & really great processor

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Yesterday's rumour mill was churning out stories about 'anonymous' developers complaining that the Wii U is less powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360. In this Aliens: Colonial Marines video interview, Brian Martel, Chief Creative Officer at Gearbox Software and director of Aliens: Colonial Marines, seems to suggest otherwise.

"The machine itself will be one of the best looking versions of the game [sic]… because they've got more RAM than some of the other things [platforms]", says Martel. "They're late in the cycle so they've got this really great processor."

Last week Randy Pitchford was enthusing that Aliens: Colonial Marines Wii U would be the definitive version of the game thanks to the unique properties of the Wii U controller. In the below interview, Martel says it will also be one of the best looking (we'd imagine the PC version will offer the best graphics, so to us Martel is suggesting it's visually superior to the 360/PS3 versions).

Of course none of this gives us any hard facts about the Wii U specs in comparison to other consoles, but at the same time it's hardly a man complaining about the lack of oomph under the Wii U's bonnet, is it.

http://www.nintendo-...rines-director/

Bullshit that WiiU fails to match X360/PS3 peformance

Reactions: 3 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I will not voice out a proper statement on whether or not the WiiU's performance surpasses the PS3 until I see it working. Afterall, it does sacrifice SPU-based built for the sake of faster-cycling cores, so it's definatelly less specialized in multi-tasking, however surely it makes it up by performing more cycles in the same time-frame.

From what I've read so-far, it does indeed have more RAM which is always a plus and has a better GPU so it definatelly won't have any trouble with floating point operations and graphics. In fact, the lack of SPU's may work in its favour as programming for SPU-Inside systems is generally a b*tch.

I'm willing to bet it's much stronger than the 360, I'm willing to believe that it is stronger than the PS3 simply because it's a new, fresher design but as far as the degree of performance is concerned, I want to see some benchmarks first.

Reactions: 1 person

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
lol are you just stupid or what?

Lets see, I would believe an anonymous person or a director's speech? So hard!
Anonymous developers from a respectable website, not from some biased Nintendo site :wink:

And this could've been posted in the front page thread, you know, where the discussion is still continuing.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Can we stop with these stupid rumour threads, nobody gives a crap about them >.>
Ofcourse the Wii U is going to be more powerful than last gen consoles, we don't know by how much but we will only find that out when it COMES OUT.
All these topics do are make people go all ape about Nintendo vs. Sony

Reactions: 2 people

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
And this could've been posted in the front page thread, you know, where the discussion is still continuing.
I think it's best to lay that thread to rest.

As in, bury it.

And then plow a line in the ground and salt it.

Reactions: 4 people

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol, all you did was you choose to believe one rumor over the other, and in this case you choose to believe a rumor that favors your fanboyism.

See? Now this is what I'm on about.

Also, what's the bets that this doesn't get front paged?

Because GBAtemp has a anti-Nintendo agenda?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, what's the bets that this doesn't get front paged?
Does it really matter?

Anyway this a named developer from a reputable developer. The other one was a nameless person from a nameless company. If the nameless person outed themselves then it would help.

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is the Wii U being compared to six to seven year old systems?
Same reason why the 3DS is compared to the PSP. No idea.
It doesn't matter how old they are. The 360 and PS3 have specs to compare to, and knowing the WiiU has better specs or what have you, then you get a clearer idea as to what those specs could be. There's nothing wrong with benchmarking.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't care about the specs of the system. If it has games that are fun to play, that's all I need. Power compared to the PS3 and Xbox, that's just apples to oranges. Just like how the Wii itself was successful, its all about gameplay and content, not graphics and power. I will say, though, that once the WiiU gets hacked, I'll be looking forward to the specs then, and the evolution of retro emulators on it. ^_^

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Uh, this time it's not a rumor and not by an anonymous source, so it's less believable and interesting, I guess... :s

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: uoiea