Hacking Wii U hard drive setup

mediabob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I had my original Wii soft modded, and I had it set up to where everything runs off the HD, so no SD card is inserted and this worked fine.

Now I am currently trying yo get everything set up on my Wii U and I am having a problem, if I have Wiiflow or USB Loader GX installed on an SD card it boots up and detects the HD just fine, if I try to boot it when installed on the HD it will not detect the HD.

So my question is, how can I load USB loaders from the HD? When using the same setup as the Wii it does not work...

My emulators still work fine, and so does the homebrew channel.

I am using the top back USB port (the left one if its standing up) as this works when I boot the loaders from an SD card, the HD has 2 partitions, one FAT32 and one NTSF, the games are on the FAT32 partition in a WBFS folder.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works for me is your fat32 partition the first partition i think it has to be to work.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to run the loaders from HBC or a forwarder? If from a forwarder, try loading it in HBC, maybe the forwarder is just looking at the SD. I don't use SD for much beyond initial hacking, so I don't know if forwarders are SD/USB specific or not, but still, just try from HBC if you haven't already and see what happens.

Also, try not to plug in the HDD until after in vWii mode. I know mine doesn't really act right anymore after getting that nag from the WiiU mode about formatting it and I have to unplug it and start over after that.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I had a report that it wasn't working on vWii with this setup: USBLoaderGX forwarder + boot.dol on USB + HDD >2TB.
If you boot from HBC it's working, if you boot from forwarder but with a smaller drive it's working.

If you are in this particular setup, try booting from HBC.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a report that it wasn't working on vWii with this setup: USBLoaderGX forwarder + boot.dol on USB + HDD >2TB.
If you boot from HBC it's working, if you boot from forwarder but with a smaller drive it's working.

If you are in this particular setup, try booting from HBC.

It works for me with my western digital elements 2tb

mediabob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. sorry was working so slow to get back...

To clarify I am launching the loaders from HBC, not using a forwarder. The fat32 partition is the first partition on the drive.

With my Wii I did not use an SD card at all (beyond initial setup) EVERYTHING worked from the HD, so I want to have the same setup for the vWii as well.

WiiFlow will not launch at all, it just gives me an error that there is no USB drive or SD Card detected and that it will close.

After playing with it I have gotten both CFG and USB Loader GX to launch and load games, however when I try to download the covers or correct titles they try to write to the non existent SD card instead of the USB HD.

So I have managed to get the games to load (never cared for wiiflow anyway, don't care if it works) now I just need to know how to get the other to loaders to write to the HD when they download covers and such.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
verify the path used in USBLoaderGX > Settings > User paths
it should be set to usb1:/ instead of SD:/
if you have usb8:/ it's not normal, and it means it didn't detect your devices correctly the first time you launched the loader. just set the paths manually or reset the settings.

mediabob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
verify the path used in USBLoaderGX > Settings > User paths
it should be set to usb1:/ instead of SD:/
if you have usb8:/ it's not normal, and it means it didn't detect your devices correctly the first time you launched the loader. just set the paths manually or reset the settings.

OK that was the issue, it had usb8:/ so I manually changed it and now all is working, thanks!

Reactions: Cyan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho