Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't arguing that. OK. Go back to sleep. Wake up on the right side of the bed. Drink tea.
nah. i've still got another 4 hours or so :wink:

i feel like last year's gateway announcement/hype ruined the "waiting" mentality for some people. i just get a bit bothered when people who do legitimate work get assaulted for not following the strict schedule of everyone waiting to freely benefit from their efforts.

so, apologies if i came off as snappy.

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
nah. i've still got another 4 hours or so :wink:

i feel like last year's gateway announcement/hype ruined the "waiting" mentality for some people. i just get a bit bothered when people who do legitimate work get assaulted for not following the strict schedule of everyone waiting to freely benefit from their efforts.

so, apologies if i came off as snappy.
It's ok. we're all tired of waiting for ANYTHING and some of us handle it better than others. :) Let's just chill and play games.

Reactions: frogboy

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
waiting won't kill anyone.
IDK let's ask this guy.
55696252.jpg

Moraduke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been asked: Would the upcoming exploit allow backups to be made to an external drive from my original game discs? Would I still be able to play games online such as Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon once the console is "hacked"?

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I hate to break it to you, but be prepared for déjà vu!

Posted today on the Gateway website:
Today we are back with more presents for all! Let’s list a quick summary:

* Introducing the Gateway 3DSX homebrew application!

* Gateway ULTRA 3.6.1 Bugfix Release
– Menu button speed more fine tuned now
– Enabled in-game menu for demo and system applications (such as Mii Plaza)
– Expanded ram dumper / cheats region to 0x3FFFFFFF
– Fixed forced sysnand booting bug (previously defaulted always to emunand)
– Changed menu highlight color to red

We heard your feedback! And today we have already fixed just a few of those things already with Gateway ULTRA 3.6.1.

And that’s not all, we also created GW.3DSX: a nifty little homebrew application that is loaded through the 3DS Homebrew Channel (http://smealum.github.io/3ds/) and provides another way of booting into Gateway mode.
This means you can now choose your favorite entrypoint that works with the Homebrew Channel, such as the popular cold boot menuhax, and boot straight into the Gateway menu!

Note that this currently only works for systems up to sysnand firmware version 9.2, but we are working on that!

That’s right! We can already reveal another surprise that is coming SOON: We will be bringing Gateway support to systems that are on the current LATEST FIRMWARE: 10.3 and lower.
So do not update past this version, because we will not be able to bring support for versions after that any time soon!

Happy Holidays to all, and many thanks to the homebrew dev team and community!

That’s it for now, and as always, Enjoy!

oPolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All these doubts about Hykem. Wow. You guys do know that he posts lots of information of his findings about Wii U stuff in WiiUBrew, right?

Welp, back to Xenoblade Chronicles X.

It is trolls. They ain't got anything better to do, else they would have checked Wiiubrew for his contributions ;)

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time Hykem posts about this with more unnecessary delays I get more convenced its all a hoax. He is now saying the IOSU hack is done. But wont release it until a seperate better hack is developed, makes very little sense to me.

Actually, in the same quote from Hykem:
Hykem said:
With that said, if this turns out to be nothing, I'll release the exploit right away.

He's basically investigating what this new possible hack can do, and if it doesn't do anything he'll release the current IOSU. But if it leads to a permanent IOSU exploit, then the delay is appropriate.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Neesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, in the same quote from Hykem:

He's basically investigating what this new possible hack can do, and if it doesn't do anything he'll release the current IOSU. But if it leads to a permanent IOSU exploit, then the delay is appropriate.
Wait so does that mean Hykem is done with the IOSU exploit? Like porting it to 5.5.0 and 5.4.0?

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically my understanding, plain and simples, is he wants to investigate this new lead because he believes itll lead to less people being dumb and potentially bricking their console.

So the exploit he had ready could let someone dumb fuck up their console.

Exploit he's researching would limit the risk of said fuck up.

BOOM.

Last edited by codychaosx,

BDP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hykem is the greatest. The fact he shows restraint in what he does and does not release out there shows such care for his work and for the longevity and flexibility of what comes out.

Thank you so much, sir, you are a fantastic wonderful asset to this scene, take ALL The time you need and thank you SO Much for all the time and effort and care you put into this without asking for anything but patience in return.

You are the MAN!

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
So, I've got good news and bad news.
The bad news is that I'm going to postpone the release again. I said this week would be a more realistic release date, but I never confirmed it would happen then. Still, it's not a huge delay and it's definitely not to wait for a new firmware update.
Like I stated before, I have the entire month of January free just to work on this and the exploit will be released and maintained before February (yes, I'm sure of that).
Now the good news, which should explain the additional delay. I need some time to pursue something I found in the MCP module. If I'm correct about this, we should be able to get a boot-time exploit. The reason for that is that the MCP module is responsible for launching "master" titles (like the PPC kernel, for example) and I found a bug that, if it turns out to be exploitable, should allow to hijack execution while MCP is still preparing to launch stuff. This means, early IOSU access and a direct boot into an exploitable environment. Not to mention that MCP is the IOSU user module with most privileges (next to BSP that is) and having access to it alone is more than enough to own the IOSU kernel at any given time.
I believe it's important to look into this because if it works, no one will have to worry about possibly bricking consoles by installing custom titles (homebrew channel, for example) and then attempting to launch them before triggering the exploit again after a fresh boot.

With that said, if this turns out to be nothing, I'll release the exploit right away.

Have all the time you want and release when you feel the need too. Thanks and have a happy New Year 2016

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So basically my understanding, plain and simples, is he wants to investigate this new lead because he believes itll lead to less people being dumb and potentially bricking their console.

BOOM.

Day 1 noob bricks to start the new year off. GBAtemp would crash with the influx of posts:P

Last edited by retrofan_k,

TheNerdWIzard

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

BOOM.
But people will somehow find a way to fuck up no matter what he does because people are stupid. I bet there will be a lot of bitching if 5.6 patches everything and they update before doing research on said update or something to that nature. I'm calling it right now.

Reactions: I pwned U!

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bad news is that I'm going to postpone the release again. I said this week would be a more realistic release date, but I never confirmed it would happen then. Still, it's not a huge delay and it's definitely not to wait for a new firmware update.
Like I stated before, I have the entire month of January free just to work on this and the exploit will be released and maintained before February (yes, I'm sure of that).
Now the good news, which should explain the additional delay. I need some time to pursue something I found in the MCP module. If I'm correct about this, we should be able to get a boot-time exploit. The reason for that is that the MCP module is responsible for launching "master" titles (like the PPC kernel, for example) and I found a bug that, if it turns out to be exploitable, should allow to hijack execution while MCP is still preparing to launch stuff. This means, early IOSU access and a direct boot into an exploitable environment. Not to mention that MCP is the IOSU user module with most privileges (next to BSP that is) and having access to it alone is more than enough to own the IOSU kernel at any given time.
I believe it's important to look into this because if it works, no one will have to worry about possibly bricking consoles by installing custom titles (homebrew channel, for example) and then attempting to launch them before triggering the exploit again after a fresh boot.

Nice!

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Not too many days ago (I don't remember which thread) someone was talking about a possible permanent HBC. Everyone said no because we had boot1/2 access on the Wii and it wouldn't be a while before we got there with the Wii U.
You showed them, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ