EnigmaXtreme

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Surprisingly, Nintendo wasn't the one to answer the question that's been at the forefront of our minds since John Riccitiello talked up the Wii U's online capabilities: Ubisoft recently told MTV Multiplayer that the system will get rid of the maligned Friend Codes system in favor of a single online identity (think: Gamertag). Players will also be able to build friends lists without the laborious process of swapping serial numbers.

The publisher reiterated the system's new, streamlined online network during a Nintendo developer roundtable, explaining that the studio is aiming for the Wii U to be Ghost Recon Online's backbone. The title will apparently play host to leaderboards, parties and a live activity feed of your Wii U friends which appears on the WiiPad. We'll press Nintendo for more info!

Source

Excuse me I have something in my eye

MigueelDnd

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Finally. It's nice to see Nintendo moving on (:

Also, it's a shame that the 3DS still got Friend Codes. Maybe a future update on the 3DS will change the Friend Codes?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it's about fucking time!
just don't charge us for online Big N
smileipb2.png

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A big step in the right direction.
Here's hoping that the new Smash Brothers has a good, working online experience this time around.
Face it, Brawl had crappy random matches that forced 4 player if possible and only for two minutes, and they lagged like hell.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
Will it have voice chat too?

Oh boy! Can't wait to be playing a game on there and have someone drop 40,000 n-bombs, insults revolving around gay, and the rest playing music through their mic.

Yeah, voice chat kinda blows. Nintendo would be smart in most respects to not use it, but they most likely will.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I cannot wait for SSB on the Wii U!
The online will be so great with it.
Anyway here's what i want:
1. Friend Requests
2. Friend Lists which can see info on friends and if they're online and what they are doing
3. Voice chat during mario kart and such
4. Video chat with friends
5. A good messaging system like the Wii mail thing but where you can send game/video chat invites

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nathan Drake said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Oh boy! Can't wait to be playing a game on there and have someone drop 40,000 n-bombs, insults revolving around gay, and the rest playing music through their mic.

Yeah, voice chat kinda blows. Nintendo would be smart in most respects to not use it, but they most likely will.

They can easily remedy that. Make it so you can mute a player, party chat (which is what everyone Xbox basically uses anyways)..

void03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Been Reading kotakus live blog thing during it. This is about Ghost Recon Online.
QUOTE said:
9:37
StephenTotilo: this game will be "as online as possible"
StephenTotilo: will carry a persistence of progression for your character on the Wii U
StephenTotilo: Personalized account system, creation as seamless as possible
StephenTotilo: Flexible friends list, secured
9:38
StephenTotilo: Network Services: Ranking, matchmaking
StephenTotilo: You can friend people online
StephenTotilo: (I know what you're thinking. He's not mentioned whether Friend Codes are in play)
StephenTotilo: there will be parental controls and a ban list
StephenTotilo: to keep things secure
StephenTotilo: The game will include "the ghost feed"
9:39
StephenTotilo: this means that even if your TV is off or broadcasting a show, you can get a feed of info on your always-on Wii U controller
StephenTotilo: can track how your friends are doing, their achievements, yours. Can schedule a match with other players while you're watching a TV show
9:40
StephenTotilo: You're also looking at the stats of your friends and seeing the asynchronous competition of how you and your friends are doing in various micro-competitions
9:40
StephenTotilo: (I hope that's clear: basically, even if you're not playing the game, the Wii U controller can keep you engaged... sorta like having a matchmaking and stat-tracking app for, say, Halo, on, say, your iPhone)

I'm interpreting it as adding friends through the game but I dunno.
It's too early to tell how nintendo will do their online with wii u.

Edit
another quote from the live blog
QUOTE10:09
StephenTotilo: JC Fletcher of Joystiq wants to know about GHost Recon's friends lists and such, wants to know if that is system-wide
10:10
StephenTotilo: Ubi dude: We want those features for our game; Nintendo's call if it's console-wide

Nikolay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
ShadowSoldier said:

There's that, but how am I supposed to communicate with my friends, by text? Fuck that.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
void03 said:
Been Reading kotakus live blog thing during it. This is about Ghost Recon Online.

StephenTotilo: this means that even if your TV is off or broadcasting a show, you can get a feed of info on your always-on Wii U controller
QUOTEI'm interpreting it as adding friends through the game but I dunno.
It's too early to tell how nintendo will do their online with wii u.
Always-on Wii U controller

WAT WAT WAT

WHAT?!

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Obviously it's a lot better not having friend codes, but friend codes aren't bad if it's done right.

They should have had it similar to the Nintendo 3DS, but slightly improved. A universal code that is only needed once, but when you add someone, it sends them a request. It is dumb how both people have to add each other. Other than that, the system isn't bad.

But, yeah. No friend codes makes everyone more happy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: