Wii U custom firmware

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by rnw10va, Jul 16, 2017.

1. rnw10va
    OP

rnw10va Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    United States
    Hey guys. I was planning on installing custom firmware on my Wii U by using the wiiu.guide. On the guide they recommend a 16GB or 32GB sd card to be able to install games. I was never planning on installing games on my sd card anyways. I was wondering how much memory I need to just install the basic custom firmware, an n64 emulator, and nintendon't. I only have a 4GB sd card readily available. If I want games, I would put it on my usb. I'm assuming I can run games through a usb like on a Wii for gamecube and maybe for n64 too but I'm not sure on that either. Thanks.

2. RyanAnayaMc

RyanAnayaMc GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    You'll be fine with a 4GB. I actually think I initially CFWed my Wii U with a 2GB card. Also, if you want Nintendont, you need your vWii hacked. Afaik Nintendont is Wii homebrew, not Wii U.

Incoming: People who say wiiu.guide is terrible.

3. rnw10va
    OP

rnw10va Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    United States
    Thanks. Just wondering, why is wiiu.guide terrible (according to other people)? Is there something wrong in it or is it confusing? Also would I be able to use the same hard drive I use for Wii U games, gamecube games and n64 games? I would assume not because you can't use it on a computer after it sets up (forget the exact term) on a wii u. Also can the same sd card be used for Wii u hacking and vWii hacking. Thanks again for helping me and other people.

4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    the only way to use the same drive for wii u games, gc games, and n64 games is to use mocha, but it's a pita to get working with wii u games, so you're better off using two separate drives. you can use the same sd card for both wii u and the virtual wii though.

5. RyanAnayaMc

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    I think people say wiiu.guide sucks because it got a bunch of noobs to install redNAND or something.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    You choose wiiu.guide for modding your WiiU, but come to GBATemp to ask questions? lol.

Why choose wiiu.guide and then come to GBATemp to ask questions, when you can just follow one of the guides on here?

I ask that question because wiiu.guide doesn't get updated that much, and a lot of people have bricked consoles without backups because of wiiu.guide.
    Kafluke's Noob Guide (Link in my Signature) is always being updated by Kafluke himself, so his guide stays up-to-date. There are more guide on GBATemp too
    that are all updated and very easy to follow.

If you really want to install and run CFW on your WiiU, please read through the guide over and over to make sure you understand everything your about to do to your WiiU, before you even touch your console. And if you read through the guide and still don't understand something, then post on the forum and someone will be happy to help you with what ever you need or don't understand. Thats why GBATemp exists as a forum website, so the community can ask questions, so we all can learn more about what we are trying to do, and to share ideas.

Just don't do what 99% of the people did that bricked their consoles, read the entire guide over and over again, don't overlook anything. Make sure you understand everything about what your about to do. And like I said, if you dont understand something, post your question on the forum, we will be happy to help you.

Also, most guides recommend at least a 32GB SD Card so you can backup your WiiU, just incase you do brick your console you can restore your WiiU with your backup using a Hard-Mod. If you don't backup your console, please don't come crying to us asking for a magical solution to restore your bricked WiiU without a complete backup.

Good Luck!

7. RyanAnayaMc

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Wait you need a full backup? I just heard that all you need is OTP.bin or something like that. Is that just if you screw up CBHC?

8. TheTechGenius

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    I'm not sure exactly. But honestly, its always good to have a full complete backup, just in case.

When you mod a console, there is always the risk of a brick. So I always make it a habit of making a full backup of the system. So if anything happens to the OTP.bin, you have the full backup to fall back on.

And if for some reason the OTP.bin isn't enough to fix your console, you still have the full backup. You never know when you may need the full backup for any reason.