OP
Edit:

zNPP8.jpg

[title:Old vs. New comparison]
bvgFm.gif

https://twitter.com/...939010610085888

EhtHZ.png

http://www.freepaten...20120115595.pdf

The Wii U controller now has clickable sticks and the placement of the D-Pad and A/B/X/Y buttons have changed. I think @xwatchmanx will be happy!

Reactions: 1 person

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like its form was changed too.
I kinda preferred the old one.
But I may be mistaken.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how big is that thing?
if it's too big you can't hold and controll it....
Currently going by the E3 version:
xlarge_wii-numbers-graph-large.jpg

I had concerns over the placements of the sticks and buttons, but apparently its very comfy to hold and everything is in a good position for playing but that's the opinion of people who played last years E3 model.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have always thought this thing will do poorly. Every item ever purchased, solves a problem, and it is unclear what problem this one solves. You shouldn't have to read through reams of ad to figure out how much it improves upon past game models, you have 15 seconds or less sales time with the general public. If it sells at all, it will do so very slowly,,,,, I doubt they're doomed but this one I expect a loss from. Best of Luck Nintendo. you are gonna' need it this time.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just imagined holding that thing in my hands and switching between dual analog and one analog/abxy buttons.
Yeah, that's not going to be comfortable for me...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every item ever purchased, solves a problem, and it is unclear what problem this one solves.
You need imagination to figure that out...and have used a 3DS/DS

Menus, rather then disturb gameplay to go to another screen for something you just look down.
Play on the controller while someone else watches the TV.
Internet is better to look at up close than on a TV screen.
In put for stuff like drawing etc.
Easy access to maps, you can even draw positions and reminders...something like this can improve many games especially Akrham City.
Easier controls for RTS games.
Better for management sims.
If you're playing a game against a buddy, one can see the view on the TV the other on the controller..to me that's better than split-screen squashovision.
Precise aiming would be seemless, like say you're scoping someone in a shooter you can look down on the controller and then if you hear something you can quickly look up.
Enhances puzzle games.
Rather than having to use a button/menu to scroll for a weapon/object...just tap the screen.
Driving games, have a certain set view on the controller.
Games that need precision like Trauma Team.
Play a RPG, when you come across something you dislike chances are this controller could solve that.
Simulations can have everything they need on the screen for a more immerse experience.

That's just the stuff you can do with the screen, the controller has cameras, so great for video chat on games. See your mates face in the corner of the screen so you can see their expression when you kill them. That's also great for social titles, MMO's...shit MMO's in generally could finally be done properly on a consoles. There are motion controls too built in so again more precise aiming, "reveal" based mechanics, etc etc.

Here's a video that I feel did well in presenting some ideas:

Sony can do a lot of this with the Vita and I really hope they do, would make a lot of games a lot less annoying.

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U controller now has clickable sticks and the placement of the D-Pad and A/B/X/Y buttons have changed. I think @xwatchmanx will be happy!
hehe, thanks. But I'm confused, what? the placement of the dpad, analogs, and action buttons look the exact same to me (albeit, slightly lowered). I'm really happy about the triggers, though!

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the placement is changed enough so that I can rotate (not shift) my thumbs to reach the D-Pad and face buttons all the while still having access to the shoulder buttons, then I'm perfectly fine with the change.
If you look at the patent showing hands holding it, they look spread apart enough to rotate and not shift.
Although either way doesn't bother me.
I just imagined holding that thing in my hands and switching between dual analog and one analog/abxy buttons.
Yeah, that's not going to be comfortable for me...
I didn't know, looking at the patent showing hands holding it, it may be easier and better than before to hold.

I'm not sure if it is because I seen the e3 one for so long, but I think I like the look of the old one better even
if the new one might provide better comfortability and functions.

Also, honestly, I think once you get use to it and you are playing your game, you wouldn't be thinking about it so hard.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks almost like they took the U-draw accessory, added triggers/buttons/analogs and turned the touchpad into a touchscreen.
And ppl complained about how big xbox controllers are.
I was skeptical about the thought of it.
Seeing what may be the real thing makes me want it even less.
Think ill skip the Wii u altogether until 3 things happen.
1. Significant price drop.
2. New Zelda.
3. New 2d metroid (if 3ds doesn't announce one)
I don't see this selling well.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks almost like they took the U-draw
It not nearly that big and it seems thiner than any other controller such as the xbox's. I even think it looks thiner than
the e3 version.People are able and willing to hold things in similar shape and size. Also on the e3 floor last year, they said it was
comfortable. I think it better to get your hands on it, rather than dash it off from the get go.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People, hello? This is just a patent sketch - it's not an accurate representation of the end product, it's just an aproximation. Look at the WiiMote's and PSMove's patent pictures:

ps3-wiimote-patent.jpg

wiimotes4.png

Reactions: 3 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People, hello? This is just a patent sketch - it's not an accurate representation of the end product, it's just an aproximation. Look at the WiiMote's and PSMove's patent pictures:

ps3-wiimote-patent.jpg
First, I had to lol'd.
Second, I think everyone knows that and are discussing where it may lead to if it is the final look or what they may change down the line.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why is there a wii console on the first two pages of that document?

Come to think of it...is that document really about the wiiU? I haven't read the whole technical text, but if "wiiU" is never even mentioned, I'd rather think this is more likely a draft for a patent for the uDraw than about the wiiu controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun