Wii U controller argument

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I agree with Lube.

The controller is a bit large, but still comfy on the hands.

The controller seems heavy, but actually it isn't.

wink.gif

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was also disappointed with the graphics, but I didn't expect better. Like the Wii, Nintendo likes to make things affordable. If the graphics were "Next generation" graphics, the system price would have gone up, and since the core casual audience doesn't care about that, they opted to use current gen specs. It isn't surprising, but a bit of a shame all the same.

Lube_Skyballer said:
@OP

People like you are jumping to conclusions way too fast. In the pictures the press has released the controller looks indeed fairly large. But in person is the controller actually the size of a really small tablet.
And the controller is made of plastic and it doesn't have heavy components except for the battery. So the controller will not be heavy. It may look heavy, but it isn't.
And you can't say the analog sticks are uncomfortable, you would have to try those yourself.
So people, don't start complaining about the console 1 day after it's reveal.
It's Nintendo guys, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING

If you re-read my post, I didn't jump to any conclusions. I actually encourage people to come to their own conclusion based on their experience with the controller. I based my opinion based on what I saw, but all of what I wrote very well could (And according to you is) untrue.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tonitonichopchop said:
I was also disappointed with the graphics, but I didn't expect better. Like the Wii, Nintendo likes to make things affordable. If the graphics were "Next generation" graphics, the system price would have gone up, and since the core casual audience doesn't care about that, they opted to use current gen specs. It isn't surprising, but a bit of a shame all the same.

Lube_Skyballer said:
@OP

People like you are jumping to conclusions way too fast. In the pictures the press has released the controller looks indeed fairly large. But in person is the controller actually the size of a really small tablet.
And the controller is made of plastic and it doesn't have heavy components except for the battery. So the controller will not be heavy. It may look heavy, but it isn't.
And you can't say the analog sticks are uncomfortable, you would have to try those yourself.
So people, don't start complaining about the console 1 day after it's reveal.
It's Nintendo guys, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING

If you re-read my post, I didn't jump to any conclusions. I actually encourage people to come to their own conclusion based on their experience with the controller. I based my opinion based on what I saw, but all of what I wrote very well could (And according to you is) untrue.

Well, graphic wise the new console can compete with PS3 and 360 easily. It's even better.
What are graphics without gameplay?

you can use only ONE tablet per Console. So...
It's part of the New console. You won't have to buy a second one.
Wiimote and nunchuck are the main controls, as welll as classic controller etc. What every Wii owner has.

It'll probably will not be bundled with Wiimotes. You can use the ones you have. Or buy separate.
You'll get a HD console with the Wii U controller.
This will make the price just right.
That's your base you can expand on. It's all up to the developers how to exploit he possibities.

Basicly it's an upgraded Wii, With LOADS of possibity's with the new screen, tablet, controller thingy.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the WiiU is like a legendary Pokemon or something, then I'd understand that ugliness is a down side.
But really? You're not gonna put it in your backpack, get out of the house and show it off to all your friends, are you?

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Darmanitan said:
If the WiiU is like a legendary Pokemon or something, then I'd understand that ugliness is a down side.
But really? You're not gonna put it in your backpack, get out of the house and show it off to all your friends, are you?
No, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't look pretty.

You wouldn't want your TV to look like it was made using a garbage can, would you?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
wiiu.jpg
Just to put an end to complaints about the controller, I'm making a post explaining why it isn't bad as everyone says. I'm not saying it's perfect, but maybe this post will change your mind and give you a bit more faith in the final product.

1. The controller looks so uncomfortable!
This is possibly the only legitimate claim relating to the controller. Although the controller doesn't use the most ergonomic design, there are a few things that need to be considered. One is that the screen is obviously meant to resemble a tablet, so the games that only use the touch screen shouldn't have issues. However, playing with all the buttons may very well be uncomfortable. Let's wait until it comes out to decide since it might (But probably won't) change.

2. It looks so heavy!
People who have played it say it weighs as much as the Ipad. So unless you hold the controller above your head (All 2 of you) weight should be a non-issue. It isn't heavy enough to make a huge difference.

3. It'll cost a fortune!
Maybe, but not as much as you think. Even though the controller gives the illusion you're playing a portable console, that isn't the case at all. The Wii U streams all of the data to the controller, so the only components that will be included are the stuff that's already in the Wii remote (Camera, gyroscopes, etc.) in addition to a large screen in the center. I'll take a guess that the controller should be no more than $80. And yes, the wii remote does have a camera in it. Look it up.

4. The analog sticks are in terrible places.
This is something you'll just have to get used to. I understand it's a questionable design choice on Nintendo's part, and I'm not a big fan of it either, so we'll just have to wait and see.

5. The controller is ugly!
I'll be honest, if you're basing your opinion of the machine based on how the controller looks rather than functions, I would recommended buying another video game console. Like a Super Nintendo. That had nice controllers.

Another thing that people need to realize is that the console is not being released for a while, so the final controller could look and feel different than it does now. Although the controllers seem radically different from what we've seen, it isn't all that much different in reality. Just wait until you try the final thing to pass judgement, because right now it could go either way. If you have a complaint I didn't list here, I'd be happy to address it.

Oh boy.. you are complaint about it.. then dont buy it!!! You are such a baby.. Stop complaint. I think its awesome even ugly ones. They can play! Jeez!

Miss Panda

Trophies
XP
Country
RockmanForte said:
Oh boy.. you are complaint about it.. then dont buy it!!! You are such a baby.. Stop complaint. I think its awesome even ugly ones. They can play! Jeez!
WTF? What he wrote was really balanced actually.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
From IGN who've actually held the WiiU controller:-

The tablet itself appears large, but is actually quite comfortable to grip. The two sliders both being located at the top of the tablet make holding it considerably easier. A staggered configuration would only have worked with a much smaller design. Nintendo was also smart in making the new controller extremely light for its size, resulting in something that might look strange but is not as burdensome as it would seem.[/p]

Also for the PlayStation Vita Lol, forget your previous grip techniques of PSP:-

One of the big bells and whistles for Sony's new handheld has been the rear touch pad, and that means holding it like a PSP screws up games. I played Super Stardust Delta, tried to hold the PlayStation Vita like the PSP, and I wasted a black hole. I played Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja (a third-person action game where you sneak up and kill guards), tried to hold the PlayStation Vita like a PSP, and I accidentally switched into first-person mode.[/p]

Of course the PSV problem can be countered if you hold the device in the designated way. Has 2 markings at the back both left and right, where your fingers must rest while holding it.

azariaspice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll pitch my two cents on all five complaints.

1. The controller looks so uncomfortable

It seems about the size of an ipad, and the back looks like it has places where your hand can hold/grip it. It'd likely be no worse than playing on an iPad or any other tablet. I'm sure it might take time to get used to, but the Wii remotes were awkward to hold at first too.

2. It looks so heavy!

It could be tied down with clunky wires that make it heavier. The 3DS felt really heavy in the store demos due to how it was held down. I've never been to E3, so I don't know if they're free or if they're held down. I doubt it weighs so much that it'd be a problem. It seems you'd hold it with two hands for motion stuff, and it seems like it'd be easy enough to hold with one hand as well for touching the screen. The product at E3 may not be the final piece.

3. It'll cost a fortune!

Well, more than likely it'll carry a hefty price tag. But it seems as though you only need one for playing. The demos I saw only used one, and had other people playing with the Wii Remotes. I doubt the system would be packaged without one, so really, you probably need no more than one anyways. Some games may implement two, but it seems like it's designed to use one tablet controller.

4. The analog sticks are in terrible places.

I've thought they were in awkward places on all system. It's similar to how the 3DS is laid out, and I think once people play it, they'll adjust pretty easily. They're not too far up it, and the others aren't too low, so it shouldn't cause a problem really. YOunger gamers might have a harder time playing it, but I'm sure it's easy enough to adjust to for the most part.

5. The controller is ugly.

It looks no worse than a tablet or iPad. The functionality is far more important than the looks. I thought the Wii Remotes and Nunchuks looked stupid, but I've grown to love them. I actually like the design, but I'm sure when you play it you'll grow to love it. It's not terrible really, but like I said, as long as it functions well, the way it looks won't really matter all too much!

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wii u sounds fine. Why are some of you so harsh on Nintendo?

Stream and Video chat sounds nice.
happy.gif

Did it say one to a system? Because games like football would work well with 2-4 of them right?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's not like you will have 4 of these tablets lying around.
There Will be ONLY ONE in your house to use with any game that uses it.
You won't have to buy a second or third etc.

It's part of the new Wii U console.
Some people don't understand that I think.

MAIN controls are still Wiimote and Nunchuck.

camurso_

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I did not give a shit about the new controller. All I wanted to see was if the new wii would bring some competition to the PS3 and X360, and got a bit disappointed to tell you guys the truth...
Not that it inferior but it should be superior and I think all of them are even...

And, of course, I was expecting many more games from other game developing companies...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
KingVamp said:
The PSV sounds fine. Why are some of you so harsh on Sony?

Rear Touchpad and a touch screen sounds nice.
happy.gif

So... why doesn't anyone say that either?

Face it, every console has problems and we all have the right to complain about it.
I never complain about the touchpad tho.

edit: didn't read the whole thing.
tongue.gif

Not saying it bad, but Unfortunately it no longer on my radar. I whether just get a new console.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
KingdomBlade said:
KingVamp said:

happy.gif

Face it, every console has problems and we all have the right to complain about it.
I never complain about the touchpad tho. You are referring to the NGP right?
laugh.gif
Yep.

God, can we all just complain in peace?

The PSV has a weird touchpad position and the WiiU controller looks fugly as hell and expensive as fuck, the 3DS wasn't as impressive as I expected it to be.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
KingdomBlade said:
KingVamp said:
KingdomBlade said:
KingVamp said:

happy.gif

laugh.gif
Yep.

The PSV has a weird touchpad position and the WiiU controller looks fugly as hell and expensive as fuck, the 3DS wasn't as impressive as I expected it to be.
That part is awfully bias.

The wii U controller isn't as ugly as it seem (I've seen it personally), and there's still no price.

Seriously, stop debating!

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
chris888222 said:
KingdomBlade said:
KingVamp said:
KingdomBlade said:
KingVamp said:

happy.gif

laugh.gif
Yep.

That part is awfully bias.

The wii U controller isn't as ugly as it seem (I've seen it personally), and there's still no price.

Seriously, stop debating!
I WILL COMPLAIN IF I WANT TO.

I'm not fucking debating, I will complain if I choose to complain. To me, it looks ugly, and it looks expensive. I'M ALLOWED TO BE BIASED.

That's the whole point of "God, can we all just complain in peace?" thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi