Wii U controller argument

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Tonitonichopchop, Jun 8, 2011.

Jun 8, 2011
  1. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    [​IMG]
    Just to put an end to complaints about the controller, I'm making a post explaining why it isn't bad as everyone says. I'm not saying it's perfect, but maybe this post will change your mind and give you a bit more faith in the final product.

1. The controller looks so uncomfortable!
    This is possibly the only legitimate claim relating to the controller. Although the controller doesn't use the most ergonomic design, there are a few things that need to be considered. One is that the screen is obviously meant to resemble a tablet, so the games that only use the touch screen shouldn't have issues. However, playing with all the buttons may very well be uncomfortable. Let's wait until it comes out to decide since it might (But probably won't) change.

2. It looks so heavy!
    People who have played it say it weighs as much as the Ipad. So unless you hold the controller above your head (All 2 of you) weight should be a non-issue. It isn't heavy enough to make a huge difference.

3. It'll cost a fortune!
    Maybe, but not as much as you think. Even though the controller gives the illusion you're playing a portable console, that isn't the case at all. The Wii U streams all of the data to the controller, so the only components that will be included are the stuff that's already in the Wii remote (Camera, gyroscopes, etc.) in addition to a large screen in the center. I'll take a guess that the controller should be no more than $80. And yes, the wii remote does have a camera in it. Look it up.

4. The analog sticks are in terrible places.
    This is something you'll just have to get used to. I understand it's a questionable design choice on Nintendo's part, and I'm not a big fan of it either, so we'll just have to wait and see.

5. The controller is ugly!
    I'll be honest, if you're basing your opinion of the machine based on how the controller looks rather than functions, I would recommended buying another video game console. Like a Super Nintendo. That had nice controllers.

Another thing that people need to realize is that the console is not being released for a while, so the final controller could look and feel different than it does now. Although the controllers seem radically different from what we've seen, it isn't all that much different in reality. Just wait until you try the final thing to pass judgement, because right now it could go either way. If you have a complaint I didn't list here, I'd be happy to address it.

2. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    It looks ugly.

Yes, it does.

3. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    Fair enough. But that's a pretty moot point since it's only a controller. As long as it works, who cares?

4. KingdomBlade

Philippines
    Some people.

Just cause you don't care if it's ugly or not doesn't mean other people don't care too.

5. Shiro09

Member Shiro09 AAI2 Localisation Team

Australia
    I hope the controller comes in black. [​IMG]

6. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    Those people probably shouldn't be playing games if they're so concerned how pretty their controller is. I'd take functionality over looks any day.

7. KingdomBlade

Philippines
    Yet it's a negative point that can affect some people's decisions.

And you've agreed that there's not really much argument to the fact that the controller is ugly.

8. Miss Panda

Member Miss Panda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    That is my only complaint about it. I bloody hate the colour of it. White consoles do not look cool.

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The controller is probably the best part of the system, unless it's pricey. It's everything else that I find wrong.

10. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Which is?

11. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    Okay then. I added it to the first post. I don't think it will matter to anyone, but it's there if someone really cares.

12. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    But we don't know anything else. Do we? [​IMG]

13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The games, the graphics, the online. It's just designed like it was supposed to compete with consoles for this generation, not consoles of next generation. Nintendo seem to be approaching everything as though they are a step behind.

14. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Linx plz.

15. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    My only worry was the weight. Gamespot talked about the weight of it, and how it can be held comfortably with one hand.

The controller was my only concern. I was worried it was going to be heavy. Now that I know it isn't, I'll definitely get it. I'm most likely going to get it at launch, just to keep the tradition going. I am not dying to get it though...

16. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    My concerns about it.

Firstly the size of the thing, as controllers go this is massive, easily the largest controller ever made. An ipad may not weigh a lot, which is what you are comparing it to, but you will use this differently to how you use an ipad or tablet. They aren't really comparable in that sense, you just generally hold tablets in an unspecific way, there's no dexterity or strain involved, I can see this being very uncomfortable after prolonged use.

Secondly is the price. Wiimotes and nunchucks are not exactly cheap considering what they amount to. Throw in a camera and touchscreen and I would be shocked if this costs $80 or less. This is Nintendo we are talking about, and they always gouge people for as much profit as they can get away with for their hardware. I can easily see this costing at least $100, but time will tell on that.

Battery life is another thing. And its something that I don't think many people have considered. How long will you be able to game on this before it needs to be recharged? I wouldn't be as concerned about battery life prior to the 3DS, but considering Nintendo were fine with releasing a handheld with such a poor battery life this is now something that worries me for this.

Another thing that people have failed to take into account is durability. I have lost count of the amount of times I have dropped a controller, controllers undergo far more stress than an average tablet does. How impact resistant will a tablet like controller with a 7" touchscreen be? My guess is not very. I am already anticipating regular complaints from people that their wii u controller was dropped and broken by their kid etc. Its a fact of life that the more you complicate something the more likely it is to fail at some point, and with this controller there are many things that can go wrong.

Now as a concept I like the idea of this controller a lot. But I just don't think its practical. My first impressions are that I will more than likely avoid this, but again, time will tell on that. What I am certain of is that I will wait quite a while before I consider getting a wii u.

17. adamshinoda

Member adamshinoda GBAtemp Regular

Vietnam
    It looks okay IMO, not "ugly". This maybe not the final concept, we can only know until it's released. Remember, at E3 2004, the DS prototype is much different from the real DS.

Am I the only one here complaint about the CONSOLE itself? Now that's what you call "ugly", not the controller. It so does look like an Xbox 360!

18. NiGHtS

Member NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I gotta agree with Guild. I think the controller is the only right thing about the console.

Everything else though...wtf? Nintendo will be competing against their own handheld at this rate for one thing, and the fact that the WiiU has come only halfway in the PS3's cycle further makes you think that the Wii was a 'bridge' for Nintendo whilst the WiiU is their actual console for this gen.

Also I can't see too many third party devs putting a lot of effort into actually making good use of that screen. It'll be the wii remote and kinect all over again. (I would say Move but it's got a lack of software for one thing, and there are hardly any move specific games)

The graphics are rivalling the PS3's, and that too just about, that flying bird in the japanese environment tech demo had so many issues. Zelda was nice though.

Essentially, PSV+PS3 (+ Move) = Wii U.

And considering 50 million people already own a PS3, it wont be too hard to jump ship onto PSV for a totally seamless experience.

19. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    FYI the controller will be bundled with the system.

And if you own a wii, you can use your existing Wiimotes as well.

20. Lube_Skyballer

Member Lube_Skyballer GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    @OP

People like you are jumping to conclusions way too fast. In the pictures the press has released the controller looks indeed fairly large. But in person is the controller actually the size of a really small tablet.
    And the controller is made of plastic and it doesn't have heavy components except for the battery. So the controller will not be heavy. It may look heavy, but it isn't.
    And you can't say the analog sticks are uncomfortable, you would have to try those yourself.
    So people, don't start complaining about the console 1 day after it's reveal.
    It's Nintendo guys, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING