Wii Softmodding Assistance?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by IceShadowX, Feb 14, 2010.

Feb 14, 2010
  1. IceShadowX
    OP

Newcomer IceShadowX Member

United Kingdom
    Well it's a numer of things really, I've already tried searching google and here many times over and to no avail.

1. Is there any way that the Homebrew channel can be installed without a SD Card (such as transfer over via tcp/ip)?

2. I'm on 3.2e is there any kind of custom firmware i can install via DVD?

3. Can I install homebrew apps to the wii via a wireless Ad-Hoc network?

Many thanks
    IceShadowX

P.S I don't actually have access to the internet atm i'm using a friends pc for the moment. so can't update wii that way :/

2. AetherMaster

Member AetherMaster Aether

United States
    SDs are cheap. It's probably best to just buy one.

3. IceShadowX
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok just bought a SD card of amazon [​IMG]

Another quick question but is it possible to load a mini sd as the sd card via a usb adapter on the wii?

4. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    only with the homebewchannel and any apps that support usb storage

5. rayben

Member rayben GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Edit: Misread the question.

6. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

Is that what you were supposed to say or did you mean use a MINI or MICRO SD with an SD card adapter such as this ..

MINI
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    MICRO
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

I know for sure you can use a MICRO SD with an adapter I have done this while waiting for my SD card to arrive in the post [​IMG]

Be warned though it sometimes can get stuck in the Wii SD slot due to it being a little thicker than a normal SD so be prepared to be able to get it out with tweezers or something incase it does!

7. IceShadowX
    OP

United Kingdom
    I meant I already have a microSD card (4gb) that I use with my DSTT and I was wondering if I could use the Usb adapter for it as i've lost the McroSD --> SD card adapter...

8. Servdogg

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Question 2- You don't really install custom firmware with the wii. There is a sort of "custom firmware" called Cioscorp that primarily allows your wii to play burned games directly through the disc channel, whereas they usually require the use of a launcher like neogamma.

To upgrade to 4.1 or 4.2 follow one of the stickied guides, like the ultimate softmod guide, to make sure you don't update in a way that causes your wii to lose functions.

Question 3- You can install homebrew apps with homebrew browser if your wii is hooked to the net via wireless, but I'm not really sure if this is what you mean.

9. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

yes you can use a MICRO SD and a MICRO SD adapter just copy the files to the MICRO SD and then use with the SD adapter as per images above to use in the Wii it should work fine until you get a proper SD card [​IMG]