Wii randomy dropping fps/lagging

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Victorzer, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Victorzer
    OP

Victorzer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Brazil
    Hello, i have a Black Wii since 2012, it's the normal Wii, not family or anything, i used it till 2014/2013 then i got bored and never used since, i only turned it on and started gaming again in september 2016 until now. Everything was working fine, but some months ago (February i guess) some channels like Mario Kart Channel started to lag when i press it, you can see it in this video: .
    My Wii was also randomly lagging /fps dropping ingame, i noticed the fps goes to 20-30 for 3/4 seconds then go back to normal, even on usb or disc games, for example: I was playing Mario Kart Wii normaly, then while i was normaly driving the game starts lagging and after some seconds it gets stable again.
    I really don't know what do to i was searching for this everywhere but i dont think someone else had this problem.

EDIT: I have alredy formated my Wii and this silly thing is still happening

Last edited by Victorzer, Apr 21, 2017
  2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Have you cleaned the dust out of the console lately? :)

3. Victorzer
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Brazil
    Yeah, i tried to open the console but i dont have the right screwdriver, but i actually used a vaccum cleaner on the cooler.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I also tried to check if the console was overheating, while i was playing i touched every part of the console and it's not so hot

4. Hiccup

Hiccup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2009
    Using a vacuum cleaner on the vent could damage components and won't be very thorough. If cleaning it out manually doesn't help you should probably just send it to Nintendo (or someone) to fix. What kind of conditions has it been kept in?

5. Victorzer
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Brazil
    When i stopped playing in 2013 or 2014 idk, i left my wii on the box. And i tried manually blowing the cooler, and it isn't being blocked, it has a big space to the air leave, and my Wii is in very good conditions, it only have some scratches, i never dropped it or damaged it and stuff.

EDIT: i can send u some pics of the console to see if there's something wrong.

Last edited by Victorzer, Apr 21, 2017
  6. Victorzer
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Brazil
    I was going to send my Wii to repair, but the guy from the store said my Wii was running out of memory or my Wii was in an outdated version and i needed to update the console :facepalm:

Last edited by Victorzer, Apr 22, 2017
  7. Victorzer
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Brazil
    If i use compressed air, could it damage my Wii?

8. John_Ice

John_Ice GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Here we go! Mama mia!
    If you talk about compressed air dust remover in bottle, no.

Victorzer likes this.
  9. YoshiB

YoshiB Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Ohio
    ...This is laughable.
    System memory issues won't cause lag. And a 4.3 Wii can't be updated further (I assume you're running 4.3).

I don't know, sorry. I just know that this salesperson is an idiot.

10. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I could have sworn there was a 4.4 update. Either way, that isnt going to fix your wii. Are you seeing any artifacting on the screen at all?

11. Victorzer
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Brazil
    Actually no. The screen is completly clean

Yep, i'm on 4.3 xD

I will use it! Thanks.

I left my Wii at another store today, this time the salesperson didn't say silly things. Let's see if i can get it fixed!

12. Victorzer
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Brazil
    Hey guys, just got my Wii back from the store. I did some tests and it appears to be fixed. If i get anything else, i will post here.