OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
So as most of you know, Team Your Mom held a Wii Raffle, and it was a success. We got just barely enough donations to pull through with this and make it happen.

1,dono****
2,maui****
3,kase****
4,cpum****
5,nick****
6,airp****
7,jero****
8,krun****
9,game****
10,magi****
11,mass****
12,ebay****
13,leez****
14,mjro****
15,aaro****
16,bran****
17,bobd****
18,rico****
19,hera****
20,jnc2****
21,hosi****
22,e.va****
23,tous****
24,abjo****
25,thom****
26,alex****
27,dspr****
28,tige****
29,gian****
As of this moment, no one have opted out of their prize.

But onto what the whole purpose of this raffle was for, the new horizontal Wii's that don't have the gamecube ports. Well, my experiment was a complete success. I was able to get the GC controller ports and memory card ports put onto the Wii's motherboard and everything worked as intended. I had to also solder on about 20 tiny surface mount components, and that was a bitch. I can honestly say that it is not military grade solder work I did here, but it does work.
Now onto the video
[title:Or you can watch the explicit version]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHHMCBEBZM

In the video, I am first quickly showing you my solder work, to prove that I did in fact do a whole bunch of stuff to that Wii. Then I start the Wii up, show you that the GC memory card is being seen in both ports. Then I go and run MMM, and I plug the GC controller into every port and show that the app is properly responding to a few button presses on every port.

Finally I go and load up Mario Kart Double Dash using my WODE and play it for a few short moments. And that concludes the video.

Now onto the pictures

I took a lot of pictures throughout this project. I'm not going to make everyone have to view them and take up a huge section of this post, so instead I will just put them all in a spoiler. And for some messed up reason, GBAtemp's pic auto resizing didn't work, so you're all stuck with these huge ass pictures to look at. Sorry, but I'm not going to reupload them all and take up all of that time.

gallery_173218_1146_572305.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_226969.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_79088.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_57299.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_229805.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_42937.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_404461.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_528869.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_549291.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_170594.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_76557.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_409662.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_693466.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_459400.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_605725.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_604523.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_361287.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_223006.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_275378.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_129634.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_69696.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_46883.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_4847.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_117911.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_15747.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_471867.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_10357.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_350282.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_78954.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_240442.jpg

gallery_173218_1146_340890.jpg

I did clean up the solder job a little better on those surface mount components after I took those pics, but they still are not perfect.

I will have all the prizes shipped out by the end of this week. I'm busy at the moment with another wii repair and a few PC's to fix and I only want to make one trip to the post office. :D

Thank you everyone for participating in this raffle. I'm glad that I was able to prove that the wii does not have any other hardware changes that prevent it from using the gamecube ports. And I was able to send that virgin nand dump to a few people for them to have a look at. I don't have the full results of that yet. If I end up with more to tell you all about then I will put it in this first post here.

Well folks. That about wraps that all up. We plan to do another raffle when the Wii-U comes out, so stayed tuned.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Looks nice. Though you seemed to have forgotten the end spoiler tag on the images haha. :P

Can't wait for the next raffle!
No, it's in there, but for some reason it is not working. Maybe a mod knows the reason of why and could fix it or tell me how to fix it. It actually was working when I previewed it, but then it someone stopped working once I finalized the post.

Hunter X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent work DeadlyFoez, perhaps you can do a little write-up on how it's done for those of us willing to perform limb surgery on our horizontal Wii's (I certainly am interested). Also, whatever happened to that little port that was where the GameCube memory card slot is?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foez, I've wondered this since I first saw the mobo on one of these here, but haven't seen the answer. Do you know what that connector on P100 is used for?

I would think it would be a sort of diagnostics port, but I'm also no expert on the topic.

Also: Looks like I am gonna have to give The Elliot a call :creep:

Edit - of course I would forget to write congratulations to all the winners and that I am glad you were able to get this working successfully.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Excellent work DeadlyFoez, perhaps you can do a little write-up on how it's done for those of us willing to perform limb surgery on our horizontal Wii's (I certainly am interested). Also, whatever happened to that little port that was where the GameCube memory card slot is?
Ehh. Eventually. It'll take me a lot of time though.
Foez, I've wondered this since I first saw the mobo on one of these here, but haven't seen the answer. Do you know what that connector on P100 is used for?

I would think it would be a sort of diagnostics port, but I'm also no expert on the topic.
It's for the Waikiki adapter, which is N's official device to put the wii into recovery mode.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, would it be possible to rip apart the gc ports into four separate pieces, then make 4 separate single ports. Would it be possible to make some kind of clip out of this just to load savemiifrii. Something that anyone could do without soldering?

loco365

Trophies
XP
Impressive, to say the least. I thought it'd be a stupid move by N to just remove the ports, not change the System Menu, and not do anything more. They'll do anything to save money.

Congrats to the winners!

Oh btw, did you replace the drive in it to read backups? Or is it still using the original drive it had?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Congrats to the winners :)

So, would it be possible to rip apart the gc ports into four separate pieces, then make 4 separate single ports. Would it be possible to make some kind of clip out of this just to load savemiifrii. Something that anyone could do without soldering?
That seems like it'd be a lot of work. I'm sure some kind of "overlay board" with the parts and matching pads could be made, but the surface-mount parts might be an issue, if only because of pad size.

It'd likely be easier to make an adapter that connects P100 and allows a Savemii to be connected (assuming the P100 connector is just a GC memcard slot with a different form-factor).

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It looks like you'd still need to attach on all fuses and everything else though. So if you were to make a sort of clip that has all of that on it as well, then yeah, most likely. But I bet it would still be a pain in the ass XD

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Terrific DeadlyFoez congrats to all who participated on the raffle as we all did a small part in helping DF get this done albeit he did all the hard work lol.

Good to know this can be pulled off but it says u were using a WODE which means a purchase of a drive would be necessary as well.

So how much would u estimate it would cost for all the parts needed and the drive?

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terrific DeadlyFoez congrats to all who participated on the raffle as we all did a small part in helping DF get this done albeit he did all the hard work lol.

Good to know this can be pulled off but it says u were using a WODE which means a purchase of a drive would be necessary as well.

So how much would u estimate it would cost for all the parts needed and the drive?
well it's that. or could be the small orange ribbon coming out the wii drive. (i think). outher then that being different on that part. (the ones on the older drives look like a J were this one is strait.). the drive board looks the same.(using mine to compare to pics.) so could be to run gc disc just switch that ribbon out.
great work deadly. glad it could be done.
the wii can run with out a drive, you just need the board.(mine is done like this, got tiered of the death clicking.). never used a wode. so guessing on this part. but it's what i do.
instead of putting every thing back together to "test". then if it doesn't work, having to take it all apart again. just use the wode to test the gc game to make sure every thing is running.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
In the video I don't even have a drive connected at all, just strictly the WODE. Keep in mind, a WODE is a Wii Optical Drive Emulator.
Yes, you could cut up the GC controller ports into 4 separate pieces, but I chose not to because it wouldn't look as clean in the end.

About a clip to do the savemiifrii, I honestly doubt it. I actually offered marcan the chance for me to send him the waikiki port that I took off the board so he could make a newer version of the SaveMii, but he declined to do so saying that "savemii has been quite useless for a long time now anyway".
It looks like you'd still need to attach on all fuses and everything else though. So if you were to make a sort of clip that has all of that on it as well, then yeah, most likely. But I bet it would still be a pain in the ass XD
There were no fuses for me to touch on this. It was SMD filters and SMD capacitors. I just wanted to clarify that.

Oh btw, did you replace the drive in it to read backups? Or is it still using the original drive it had?
I did not replace the drive, as I had stated in the rules. I don't have a spare one, and plus replaces the drive is unneeded bc someone can always use a WODE, DM (when it comes out again), DML, and devolution so it was unnecessary to replace the drive.

That seems like it'd be a lot of work. I'm sure some kind of "overlay board" with the parts and matching pads could be made, but the surface-mount parts might be an issue, if only because of pad size.

It'd likely be easier to make an adapter that connects P100 and allows a Savemii to be connected (assuming the P100 connector is just a GC memcard slot with a different form-factor).
A buddy and I were chatting about the possibility of making a GC port dongle that could sit externally out of the wii. The only good thing that it would allow it easier soldering for the end person, but making such a thing could be rather expensive.

One thing that really grinds my gears with this whole thing is that before N released the horizontal Wii's, a Wii could be bought for $129.99 around here. And now that they removed a bunch of stuff to cut costs the decided to bump up the price by $20. It almost makes me think of Sony when a move like this is done.

As soon as Nintendo announces the release date for the Wii-U, we will start planning the next raffle. But if anyone has any ideas for any other raffles then I am open to suggestions.

Reactions: 1 person

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: I just got all the prizes shipped out to everyone. Most of you should get your prizes within a week.

Thank you all once again. This was a fun project to do. I put probably about 20 hours into the whole thing from start to finish. I hope you all had fun with us.

P.S. FWI to everyone. All those pics that I took was with my cell phone, even the very close up shots. The only reason why I was able to take such close up shots was because I had a broken camera that I was able to steal the optical lens from and hot glue it to my phone to allow me to take those pics. Thats also what I am doing in the video, is I am taking off that lens. It works freaking great. I will use my phone at time to examine thinges even though I have a headset magnifier, but it just doesn't magnify enough. So here I am using one hack to help me with another hack. :D

Reactions: 3 people

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Impressive, to say the least. I thought it'd be a stupid move by N to just remove the ports, not change the System Menu, and not do anything more. They'll do anything to save money.

Congrats to the winners!

It's the WODE, a modchip which let's you load Wii/GC iso's from a USB drive. It does a similar thing to NEEK+DI, but it works differently.

loco365

Trophies
XP

Congrats to the winners!

It's the WODE, a modchip which let's you load Wii/GC iso's from a USB drive similar to SNEEK.
Oh, I see. I'm not too familiar with modchips. Still, pretty cool to mod a Non-GC Wii to use GC hardware. N was pretty stupid to remove it in the first place.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States

Congrats to the winners!

It's the WODE, a modchip which let's you load Wii/GC iso's from a USB drive similar to SNEEK.
That is far from an accurate representation of what a WODE is. SNEEK is completely software driven, whereas a WODE is software emulating hardware. There is really a big difference. But when trying to speak it to noobs that understand almost nothing then your analogy could work for them.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Congrats to the winners!

That is far from an accurate representation of what a WODE is. SNEEK is completely software driven, whereas a WODE is software emulating hardware. There is really a big difference. But when trying to speak it to noobs that understand almost nothing then your analogy could work for them.
I meant it does a thing similar to SNEEK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1