Wii (Model: RVL-101) with gamecube controller adapter and emulators...

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by EasyMacOG, Oct 26, 2015.

1. EasyMacOG
    OP

EasyMacOG Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Good day! I received a Wii for free from a family member about a month ago, but unfortunately it was the RVL-101 model (translates to no gamecube features for those not in the know :) ). Fast forward to the present, I'm currently working to take full advantage of this free hardware and all that the Wii HomeBrew Community has to offer and I've started by setting up the HBC, WiiFlow, and emulators. I have been able to launch the latest versions (the updated 2015 versions from this site) of the fceugx, snes9xgx, and vbagx emulators and various games for each respectively without an issue. I also have Nintendont working as it should. I've picked up an Official Gamecube Controller Adapter for WiiU to attempt to resolve the lack of gamecube controller ports on my Wii and it works perfectly with Nintendont, just as the release notes say it will. Now, let me stop here and repeat. Yes, I am using the Nintendo Official Gamecube Controller Adapter (we'll call it NOGCA from here...) on an original Wii - NOT WiiU - and it does work, ...well somewhat.

So here's the rub. Since the NOGCA adapter is recognized by Nintendont on the original Wii and works as it's supposed to, what needs to happen to get it working with other emulators? I can't accept the answer that it's impossible, as the Nintendont loader has clearly shown otherwise. It would be an awesome addition to extend Gamecube controller support for these emulators for people with these types of setups. I have been searching the internet for days looking for an answer to this, so any assistance at all is greatly appreciated!

Can anyone explain how Nintendont makes this adapter work?

Would it be as simple as recompiling the other emulators with support for this in the same fashion Nintendont supports it?

Sorry if my questions sound vague as I clearly know very little about how these applications run on the Wii. This is not a request for someone else to make something happen. I am very capable and am willing to learn and do the work myself if someone can point me in the right direction.

TL;DR - Just want to try to get the fceugx, snes9xgx, and vbagx emulators to support the Nintendo Official Gamecube Controller Adapter on the original Wii. Nintendont does it. Looking for knowledge on how to get started on making this happen.

2. BrewinGuy3ds

BrewinGuy3ds Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2015
    United States
    If the official adapter works anything like the unofficial (Mayflash) one it should just be detecting the gc controller as a classic controller, so if those emulators support CC (I'm almost certain they do) they would be able to recognize them. Not sure tho, maybe it's more complicated with the official one.