Wii Mode - Updates you'd like for 2014

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiCube_2013, Apr 29, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    1) Make the Wii U GamePad playable with Wii games that can be played with a traditional controller.
    2) Allow home connections (P2P) for online matches if players would want to.

I wouldn't really want much, if they brought out an update that allows to play Wii games with the GamePad I'd call it a day because I hardly play online, and if I were to play online it'd be 5 mins and then back to offline.

2. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    The only update I want so far is just one where you can control the Wii Menu by using the Wii U GamePad.
    Just that, I don't mind playing the games with the usual way it is now and since you can control the menu with a standard Classic Controller connected to the Wiimote, Nintendo could do the same to control the menu by the Gamepad.

3. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Since Nintendo is killing most of the Wii's online architecture, I doubt they'd add the P2P connection option. It would require the GameSpy servers to be compensated in some way, which I highly doubt could be pulled off with the WiiU (I could be wrong, just saying).

The gamepad would indeed be cool. It'd make the WiiU a highly better option for the Wii. Currently the WiiU doesn't offer much, if any, upgrade to the Wii side (lack of GC is a major letdown for me..).

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  4. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    I'd like to see the output resolution change to match that of the Wii, rather than upscaling the image to 1080.
    However Nintendo don't care at all about what people would like to see happen.

Razor83 and Qtis like this.
  5. boomario

boomario Nothing to say here.

Oct 31, 2012
    Brazil
    Wii U Family Edition, now without wii support :rofl2:

AndrewRoks1998 and nasawqq like this.
  6. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    That's very likely to happen as the later Wii consoles got the NGC-BC removed.

7. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Gamespy's services are ending on May 31th, so scratch that.

8. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    That was pretty much what I said. They would need to be compensated in some way to get anything to work. For example, MK requires the servers to divide players into online matches. If the server is absent, the remaining options is to compensate its features (emulation?) or reprogram the game itself to use a new method (not gonna happen).

9. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    It looks a lot better upscaled, but if you really can't live without pre-HD resolutions you can always go into the settings and change your WiiU's resolution to 480p before launching the Wii mode. Or 480i even, if you're a real masochist.

And people hoping for Gamepad control in anything Wii mode, forget it. They'd have to do some major work to get Wii to recognize the Wifi transmitter in a Gamepad rather than the bluetooth transmitter that Wii remotes use. The odds that they'd put that much effort into things is slim to none, and slim's looking pretty sickly.

I mean, they haven't even given Pro controller compatibility in Wii mode, and that, in theory, could be pretty simple, as it does use bluetooth and Devolution has shown it to be possible.

10. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States

you know. i would like this too. when the wii u is set to 1080p and i go into wiimode, the wii u displays in yCbCr and my receiver has issues with this so it displays all green and red.

11. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere

That's a matter of opinion. I had my Wii setup with a component cable and my TV left the picture quite pixely and sharp, however, the Wii U at 1080p blures the Wii games just as bad as using the Wii composite (scart) cable.

Bluring an image should never be an option for upscaling, never. Downscaling maybe but never ever upscaling.

12. bradley2409

bradley2409 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 4, 2014
    Thornton, New South Wales, Australia
    Dual shock 4 compatibility in devolution would be awesome considering its popularity and great form factor. The analogue triggers would be super Mario sunshine too.

13. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    My number one complaint is not being able to swithc in to wii mode with out the TV. I think this is only an issue when you use HDMI, but it is annoying and pointless.

If I want to off TV some Wii I have to interupt what someone is watching on the television for a few seconds to switch the video input to allow the system to go in to Wii mode.

The second thing of course is if the gamepads buttons could function as a classic controller.

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Yeah, AFAIK, it's a problem with HDMI and not the console itself, due to how the signal is sent to and from the connection. Can it be fixed or circumvented in some way, I don't have high hopes that it can, I might switch back to component just to circumvent that silly limitation.

15. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    They don't? I thought that would have been a no-brainer for them to incorporate that. I don't have a Wii U, but I expected that to be a standard feature... What the fuck, Nintendo?

16. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

It's not as easy as it sounds, the game pad uses WiFi and the Wii mode uses Bluetooth, so there's a conflict somewhere and it's not super easy at all to implement such a thing. Might be plausible, but gonna be a long time. Pretty sure Maxternal had a discussion about this a while back...?

17. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    a powered HDMI splitter *should* work for this. I actually have one (one of the models that "forgets" to apply HDCP to it's output signal ;) ) so I will test it later and report back.

18. chevowner

chevowner Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2014
    United States
    My Wii U is probably not on the most recent software version, and It can do that.
    Try holding B while turning the Wii U on from the gamepad.

I don't have a video connection of any kind hooked up to the Wii U ATM.

19. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States

Well that's why it works for you I believe. It is only a problem when you have HDMI connected to the TV. The HDMI lets the wii u know if the image is displayed on the televivion or not (have to have proper input selected) and I have no idea why it forces you to put it on the TV to select Wii mode.

20. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Too bad there's no way to bypass that with HDMI cables, it's kind of annoying and counterproductive to not be able to use off-screen play with HDMI if the TV isn't on. Component is perfectly fine however.