Hardware Wii Mode - Updates you'd like for 2014

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
1) Make the Wii U GamePad playable with Wii games that can be played with a traditional controller.
2) Allow home connections (P2P) for online matches if players would want to.

I wouldn't really want much, if they brought out an update that allows to play Wii games with the GamePad I'd call it a day because I hardly play online, and if I were to play online it'd be 5 mins and then back to offline.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The only update I want so far is just one where you can control the Wii Menu by using the Wii U GamePad.
Just that, I don't mind playing the games with the usual way it is now and since you can control the menu with a standard Classic Controller connected to the Wiimote, Nintendo could do the same to control the menu by the Gamepad.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Since Nintendo is killing most of the Wii's online architecture, I doubt they'd add the P2P connection option. It would require the GameSpy servers to be compensated in some way, which I highly doubt could be pulled off with the WiiU (I could be wrong, just saying).

The gamepad would indeed be cool. It'd make the WiiU a highly better option for the Wii. Currently the WiiU doesn't offer much, if any, upgrade to the Wii side (lack of GC is a major letdown for me..).

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gamespy's services are ending on May 31th, so scratch that.

That was pretty much what I said. They would need to be compensated in some way to get anything to work. For example, MK requires the servers to divide players into online matches. If the server is absent, the remaining options is to compensate its features (emulation?) or reprogram the game itself to use a new method (not gonna happen).

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see the output resolution change to match that of the Wii, rather than upscaling the image to 1080.

It looks a lot better upscaled, but if you really can't live without pre-HD resolutions you can always go into the settings and change your WiiU's resolution to 480p before launching the Wii mode. Or 480i even, if you're a real masochist.

And people hoping for Gamepad control in anything Wii mode, forget it. They'd have to do some major work to get Wii to recognize the Wifi transmitter in a Gamepad rather than the bluetooth transmitter that Wii remotes use. The odds that they'd put that much effort into things is slim to none, and slim's looking pretty sickly.

I mean, they haven't even given Pro controller compatibility in Wii mode, and that, in theory, could be pretty simple, as it does use bluetooth and Devolution has shown it to be possible.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see the output resolution change to match that of the Wii, rather than upscaling the image to 1080.
However Nintendo don't care at all about what people would like to see happen.

you know. i would like this too. when the wii u is set to 1080p and i go into wiimode, the wii u displays in yCbCr and my receiver has issues with this so it displays all green and red.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
It looks a lot better upscaled,

That's a matter of opinion. I had my Wii setup with a component cable and my TV left the picture quite pixely and sharp, however, the Wii U at 1080p blures the Wii games just as bad as using the Wii composite (scart) cable.

Bluring an image should never be an option for upscaling, never. Downscaling maybe but never ever upscaling.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My number one complaint is not being able to swithc in to wii mode with out the TV. I think this is only an issue when you use HDMI, but it is annoying and pointless.

If I want to off TV some Wii I have to interupt what someone is watching on the television for a few seconds to switch the video input to allow the system to go in to Wii mode.

The second thing of course is if the gamepads buttons could function as a classic controller.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My number one complaint is not being able to swithc in to wii mode with out the TV. I think this is only an issue when you use HDMI, but it is annoying and pointless.

If I want to off TV some Wii I have to interupt what someone is watching on the television for a few seconds to switch the video input to allow the system to go in to Wii mode.

The second thing of course is if the gamepads buttons could function as a classic controller.

Yeah, AFAIK, it's a problem with HDMI and not the console itself, due to how the signal is sent to and from the connection. Can it be fixed or circumvented in some way, I don't have high hopes that it can, I might switch back to component just to circumvent that silly limitation.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

They don't? I thought that would have been a no-brainer for them to incorporate that. I don't have a Wii U, but I expected that to be a standard feature... What the fuck, Nintendo?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't? I thought that would have been a no-brainer for them to incorporate that. I don't have a Wii U, but I expected that to be a standard feature... What the fuck, Nintendo?

It's not as easy as it sounds, the game pad uses WiFi and the Wii mode uses Bluetooth, so there's a conflict somewhere and it's not super easy at all to implement such a thing. Might be plausible, but gonna be a long time. Pretty sure Maxternal had a discussion about this a while back...?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, AFAIK, it's a problem with HDMI and not the console itself, due to how the signal is sent to and from the connection. Can it be fixed or circumvented in some way, I don't have high hopes that it can, I might switch back to component just to circumvent that silly limitation.

a powered HDMI splitter *should* work for this. I actually have one (one of the models that "forgets" to apply HDCP to it's output signal ;) ) so I will test it later and report back.

chevowner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My Wii U is probably not on the most recent software version, and It can do that.
Try holding B while turning the Wii U on from the gamepad.

I don't have a video connection of any kind hooked up to the Wii U ATM.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii U is probably not on the most recent software version, and It can do that.
Try holding B while turning the Wii U on from the gamepad.

I don't have a video connection of any kind hooked up to the Wii U ATM.

Well that's why it works for you I believe. It is only a problem when you have HDMI connected to the TV. The HDMI lets the wii u know if the image is displayed on the televivion or not (have to have proper input selected) and I have no idea why it forces you to put it on the TV to select Wii mode.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's why it works for you I believe. It is only a problem when you have HDMI connected to the TV. The HDMI lets the wii u know if the image is displayed on the televivion or not (have to have proper input selected) and I have no idea why it forces you to put it on the TV to select Wii mode.

Too bad there's no way to bypass that with HDMI cables, it's kind of annoying and counterproductive to not be able to use off-screen play with HDMI if the TV isn't on. Component is perfectly fine however.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche