Wii Loader Developement

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by knowitall599, Oct 21, 2008.

Oct 21, 2008

Wii Loader Developement by knowitall599 at 2:19 AM (1,692 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. knowitall599
    OP

Banned knowitall599 Banned

United States
    I am in a college sophomore level programming class and I would love to create a totally open source backup launcher. I could try and teach anybody the basics of the C++ and C# language. I would prefer working with someone that knows the basics already, but I will work with anybody.

Also lets start with how the fuck to work with DevKitPro. I think it is a royal pain in the ass and I have never worked with it before. If have read the tutorial for starting to use DevKitPro, but that doesn't tell me shit.

2. picano

Member picano GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Isn't a loader a bit... high of a goal for a start? Especially considering that current one isn't even "perfected" yet? (And the closest thing to perfection is still only in the hands of the testers)

I'm in the same boat experience wise (except, replace C# with java and python), have messed with devkit pro once (to make a small piece of crap test thing for graphics and controls)

3. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Wiigator's backup launcher open source?

4. bambam95

Newcomer bambam95 Advanced Member

Canada
    Ya it is

5. KmanN

Newcomer KmanN Member

United States
    sounds cool i under stand c++ coding from coding in pawno

6. Framework43

Member Framework43 I'm International

United States
    It'd be a waste of time, there are open-source launchers/loaders already. Work on something else thats cool, like a new Web browser or an OS for it [​IMG]

7. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    There we go! [​IMG]

8. knowitall599
    OP

United States
    Lets start our work then guys. We will use Wiigator's launcher and try to figure out how to compile that without error in DevKitPro. Anybody have any ideas. I have the files already. I suggest anybody that is interested download the launcher as well as DIP module two.

We will work on DIP Module 2 later. So, please feel free to get started with the discussion.

9. Sportsmaniac1322

United States
    Why would you do this when we have a perfectly good open source one in development as we speak?

10. knowitall599
    OP

United States
    For educational purposes. Besides I am computer science major and I think it would be a blast!

11. knowitall599
    OP

United States
    Maybe I should clarify open source. I mean we are going to put little chunks and pieces of code that we are working on and try to fit all of our ideas together like a piece of a puzzle. This is not what Waninkiko and Wiigator are doing. I might try to get them in on this as well to speed up the development up of v.3 launcher.

12. picano

Member picano GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Considering the massive change that must have occurred between .1 and .3 to allow nearly full speed gaming from the previous lag fest, anything we do without knowledge of that update could either be in the wrong direction or simply reworking something which has already been accomplished.

I think Framework's suggestion would be pretty cool (the browser that is). Opera is nice... but it lacks in many areas. That or a nice game... (hell, I'd kill for a decent homebrew worms, something to rival armageddon --- especially if we could get ip to ip network support)

I'd be willing to help with anything, but current courses have me rather busy... and I prefer graphic work to programming anyway (Not too good at starting from scratch). Photobucket / Youtube stuff as my examples.

13. knowitall599
    OP

United States
    Do not worry. I have emailed Wiigator and I have asked him to contribute to this thread on some of the changes he has made. Besides one must be willing to experiment even if it takes a wrong turn. We could figure out something completely genius in the process. [​IMG]

14. walbert

Newcomer walbert Newbie

United States
    I don't mean to sound discouraging, but sophomoric knowledge of C++ and C# isn't going to be enough for you to create a working loader. You might want to learn more about the wii's architecture, RISC architecture, ppc assembly language, etc etc. Especially the Wii's architecture.

The majority of WiiGator's loader code is in C, but it took a deeper knowledge of the underlying system to create.

If you're after a learning experience, why not look at the source he already released for 0.1 and figure out how it works?

(On the other hand, if you manage to overcome these obstacles and make a competing or better open-source launcher, more power to you)

-Walbert

15. Rcolon85

Newcomer Rcolon85 Advanced Member

United States

If people are willing to contribute we have nothing to lose.

Whats your Progress?